Bit Of A Yarn

brad reid,harness link on emma stewart

the galah

I have just read the article he wrote on harnesslink(a peter profit headline put me on to it)

Titled "when ignorance is no longer bliss."

People should read it as he seems the only one in the media with the integrity to actually be honest and open when it comes to that stable.

Here are some quotes from his story.

"Are the industry participants meant to simply accept stewarts apology as meaning this is the first time the rule has been breached. Or simply the first time stewart has been caught.

can you imagine an athlete or high performance coach in another sport being caught red handed breaching a fundamental rule the weekend it had achieved remarakable success,yet only having their highlight reels dished out for 5 days while the media ignore the elephant in the room?It wouldn't happen.

The mainstream media,further mars public confidence in harness racing and creates the perception of a coordinated effort to paint australia's leading stable in a favorable light.

The same media pushing the mistake narrative are nowhere to be seen when smaller players suffer a similar date."

Then he quoted Anthony Butt. Butt said

"It was a clear breach and is not a good look and casts a pool of doubt over their success on saturday night....But i'm disappointed in the media too,its been brushed under the carpet by just about everybody.If this had happened in galloping it would be headline news. Its not a good look and it doesn't shine a good light on the stable".

So  Brad Reid and Anthony Butt have had the guts to actually say what you could virtually gaurantee nearly every honest industry participant is thinking,yet next to no other high profile people have the balls to actually say.

As to the nz media. A couple of weeks ago i almost choked on my food when i saw Mick geurin say something along the lines about ,we in the media have to be open and transparent about issues such as integrity matters."

What,i thought,mick, the hypocrite, guerin saying something that cleary he doesn't practice.his response to the stewart case is just proof again that he can't be taken seriously when he talks about integrity matters. For mick guerin,raising integrity concerns about stables like the stewart stable is a no go subject. Adam hamilton has the has the same attitude. Just read the last australian news on the hrnz website. Hamilton mentions how great the stewart stable are in 3 different segments of the australian harness news,yet ignores what everyone is talking about.

As to the box seat.Here's what they had to say. Greg o'connor said" there was a little bit of an incident". Thats was it.

The only message anyone that listens or watches is so obvious.We don't talk about this stuff because it involves people that we like.

Sadly,the responses of those who look away is repetitive behavior that we have become accustomed to and is easily predicted.And its such behavior which makes them complicit in their own way to enabling those that do this type of stuff.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

By your own admission - NOT everyone is talking about it.

So your saying because i have agreed with what brad reid and anthony butt said,i.e. that most high profile media are giving next to no coverage of the story,that therefore means that the media is an example of someone not talking about it.

A bit like saying everyone thinks elvis is dead except joe down the road who saw him last week. so therefore no one can say everyone believes elvis is dead

Or like me saying i always lie,so if that were the case then i must be lieing when i say that,therefore that means i'm not a liar.

I can talk in riddles as well chief. But can't see the point on this topic as its quite a serious topic.

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are your suggesting Athletes are drenching other Athletes?

That was a quote from brad reid's article. I understand what he meant,as i'm sure you do.its not complicated .I don't see much sense in your reply there.

Edited by the galah
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

What,i thought,mick, the hypocrite, guerin saying something that cleary he doesn't practice.his response to the stewart case is just proof again that he can't be taken seriously when he talks about integrity matters. For mick guerin,raising integrity concerns about stables like the stewart stable is a no go subject. Adam hamilton has the has the same attitude. Just read the last australian news on the hrnz website. Hamilton mentions how great the stewart stable are in 3 different segments of the australian harness news,yet ignores what everyone is talking about.

Surely , mate you don't expect the main harness journalists to Lampoon the product ? 

They are there to Up-beat the product. Not comment on a stewards stable raid.

As for the Stable in question  , was there an error as Ranga says.? this seems the likely case. Didn't Te Akau your main galloping stable have an error recently ???  no good having kittens over it.

Didn't your main stable Robert Dunn's have 4 horses disqualified at Nelson for Positives ? . A MUCH more serious charge in my book . Australian Phil Coulson got 7 years with his caffiene Positive in NZ . Pound 4 Pound Molloy hired a Gun lawyer for them , because they are 'good' blokes ...and got them off with a fine. Anyone else with the positive and it would of been GOODNIGHT Nurse !!! .  

Emma Stewart doing a terrific job mate, such a shame you want to hold a small treatment against them. It's Lucky you don't see the needles 😉 . (At least the stewards saw Jones and Alfords with them over there lol..😂 ) jolly good detective work !!! . If they get any Raceday Positives swabs , Emma Stewart will be bundled 'OUT' like anyone else.  

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Didn't your main stable Robert Dunn's have 4 horses disqualified at Nelson for Positives ? . A MUCH more serious charge in my book . Australian Phil Coulson got 7 years with his caffiene Positive in NZ . Pound 4 Pound Molloy hired a Gun lawyer for them , because they are 'good' blokes ...and got them off with a fine. Anyone else with the positive and it would of been GOODNIGHT Nurse !!! .

That positive was for Caffeine and at very low levels.  I understand that the Dunn's are adamant that something nefarious was behind it.  What trainer in their right mind would risk using something that is so easily detectable and at a level that wasn't much more than a cup of coffee?  

1 hour ago, the galah said:

So your saying because i have agreed with what brad reid and anthony butt said,i.e. that most high profile media are giving next to no coverage of the story,that therefore means that the media is an example of someone not talking about it.

A bit like saying everyone thinks elvis is dead except joe down the road who saw him last week. so therefore no one can say everyone believes elvis is dead

I didn't say no one was talking about it which is about as accurate as saying everyone is.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That positive was for Caffeine and at very low levels.  I understand that the Dunn's are adamant that something nefarious was behind it.  What trainer in their right mind would risk using something that is so easily detectable and at a level that wasn't much more than a cup of coffee?  

Absolutely on the money Chiefy.

4 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Absolutely on the money Chiefy.

4 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

yeah , but you still can't produce your horse at the races , get a positive , have your horse DQed , and then just say It "wasn't us" , it was "only just over" , and then get off free ?   (free of suspension anyway , but were still fined so there was an infringement commited ) some lawyers are good , that's for sure. 

while others like Coulson , Adamant his horse was nobbled , (i'e didn't do it himself ) gets a seven year disqualification and the Interdominion Final taken off him. went on fishing boat for a few years so a bit of a change of scenery for a 1000+ race winning trainer/driver  

If you're more than 0.05 on the road drink driving,,, it's just like being a cup a coffee over smetimes lol 😅 ?? but they all have to serve the suspension time if they're over. No matter how or why they were over the limit (even to a very minor degree where the person wasn't even impaired in the slightest lol). (It's worse with horses too, because someone is deliberately trying to cheat the system / limits/ etc for profit or gain) 

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Surely , mate you don't expect the main harness journalists to Lampoon the product ? 

They are there to Up-beat the product. Not comment on a stewards stable raid.

As for the Stable in question  , was there an error as Ranga says.? this seems the likely case. Didn't Te Akau your main galloping stable have an error recently ???  no good having kittens over it.

Emma Stewart doing a terrific job mate, such a shame you want to hold a small treatment against them. It's Lucky you don't see the needles 😉 . (At least the stewards saw Jones and Alfords with them over there lol..😂 ) jolly good detective work !!! . If they get any Raceday Positives swabs , Emma Stewart will be bundled 'OUT' like anyone else.  

You've just written something that unfortunately is in line with the thinking of racing journalists.(apart from brad reid and even peter profit)

Watering down integrity issues is a very,very bad strategy.

I know you vigorously defended the stewart stable on here recently against any suggestions they were cheating,but reality is you got it wrong.

Thats why so many high profile harness meida ignore it,they don't want anyone saying i told you so to them .some in the media are just hypocrites.

Now it seems your saying whats the big deal and point to other high profile stables who have returned positives.

i  don't get that approach nor understand how that helps your argument. 

Ask yourself this. You seem to think the grimson stable use performance enhancers.Would you be saying the same thing if it was the grimson stable that had been caught in similar circumstances?

As to your coomments about it being right for the media to ignore it, because they are supposed to be promoting the sport.

Name one other sport that does that?

Use your rugby team as an example. I listened to a well known australian rugby identity yesterday commenting on the world cup performances and the coach.Given you think its not for journalists to lampoon the product,you wouldn't have been happy.

I think maybe your expressing the views you are is partly because harness racing is a sport dear to your heart and it hurts that people tell truths that are not nice to hear. 

Edited by the galah

43 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

while others like Coulson , Adamant his horse was nobbled , (i'e didn't do it himself ) gets a seven year disqualification and the Interdominion Final taken off him. went on fishing boat for a few years so a bit of a change of scenery for a 1000+ race winning trainer/driver

Perhaps he would be treated differently 52 years later with the improved testing technology.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

If you're more than 0.05 on the road drink driving,,, it's just like being a cup a coffee over smetimes lol 😅 ?? but they all have to serve the suspension time if they're over. No matter how or why they were over the limit (even to a very minor degree where the person wasn't even impaired in the slightest lol). (It's worse with horses too, because someone is deliberately trying to cheat the system / limits/ etc for profit or gain) 

Completely different scenario.

Do you really think a cup of coffee would enhance a horses performance?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

Completely different scenario.

Do you really think a cup of coffee would enhance a horses performance?  

well it's nothing i ever saw used , but it's a stimulant isn't it. People swear by it anyway 😂.

Hey what about Cobalt in that case. ? plenty of trainers dumped out for that ? all cobalt does is form Vitamin B12 to increase metabolism . sounds slow to me . the trainers go out though if it swabs. My friend Darrel Graham had a year DQ for Cobalt. I think his wifeshorse had just chewed a rail a few times. All very sad. 

The galloping boys go out for Cobalt too as seen in this clipping below, so why not Caffiene ? which is stronger .

Trainers Mark Kavanagh, Peter Moody and Danny O'Brien were disqualified from the sport after it was found their horses were administered with the prohibited substance cobalt, a charge the trio vigorously denied.30 Jan 2019

5 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

well it's nothing i ever saw used , but it's a stimulant isn't it. People swear by it anyway 😂.

Hey what about Cobalt in that case. ? plenty of trainers dumped out for that ? all cobalt does is form Vitamin B12 to increase metabolism . sounds slow to me . the trainers go out though if it swabs. My friend Darrel Graham had a year DQ for Cobalt. I think his wifeshorse had just chewed a rail a few times. All very sad. 

The galloping boys go out for Cobalt too as seen in this clipping below, so why not Caffiene ? which is stronger .

Trainers Mark Kavanagh, Peter Moody and Danny O'Brien were disqualified from the sport after it was found their horses were administered with the prohibited substance cobalt, a charge the trio vigorously denied.30 Jan 2019

The whole Cobalt saga is a can of worms.  In my opinion trainers on both sides of the Tasman were unfairly treated.

• Champ Post 1

24 minutes ago, the galah said:

Ask yourself this. You seem to think the grimson stable use performance enhancers.Would you be saying the same thing if it was the grimson stable that had been caught in similar circumstances?

As to your coomments about it being right for the media to ignore it, because they are supposed to be promoting the sport.

Name one other sport that does that?

Mate you are starting to sound like everyone that used to question Mark Purdon , nearly every post , before realising he is a bloody champion, the son of a legend , and took on Queenslands best (Nat) as an aid to reach even greater heights. 

Emma Stewart has been getting winners (of feature races) the same length of time as Allstars.

EVERYONE knows Horses get racing treatments. I'm NOT suggesting what Grimson actually does, but obviously to ALL and sundry , he is doing something that others aren't . 

Emma S and Mark P are 'creating ' their own horses through buying them at sales these days and putting in place the AMAZINGLY Talented support crew of breaking them in and working them up , that they have both done for many many years now. TOP of the Tree they are my friend.

Mr Grimson , meanwhile , does Not do this . he (and Jabck)  get tried horses and horses jump out of the ground for a 'term' then retreat again to the back of the field. What do you think is happening ? a bit more than luck anyway .. I guess he won't tell anyone. Kiwi Jack would know though . he's never far behind and swinging on the Grim coat-tails lol..😁

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Mate you are starting to sound like everyone that used to question Mark Purdon , nearly every post , before realising he is a bloody champion, the son of a legend , and took on Queenslands best (Nat) as an aid to reach even greater heights. 

Emma Stewart has been getting winners (of feature races) the same length of time as Allstars.

EVERYONE knows Horses get racing treatments. I'm NOT suggesting what Grimson actually does, but obviously to ALL and sundry , he is doing something that others aren't . 

Emma S and Mark P are 'creating ' their own horses through buying them at sales these days and putting in place the AMAZINGLY Talented support crew of breaking them in and working them up , that they have both done for many many years now. TOP of the Tree they are my friend.

Mr Grimson , meanwhile , does Not do this . he (and Jabck)  get tried horses and horses jump out of the ground for a 'term' then retreat again to the back of the field. What do you think is happening ? a bit more than luck anyway .. I guess he won't tell anyone. Kiwi Jack would know though . he's never far behind and swinging on the Grim coat-tails lol..😁

i'm just trying understand your thinking. so  wondering if you can you answer these simple questions gammalite.

I think things that i have asked are black and white,so much information and examples out there for me to say that,but you may or may not agree.Anyway.

Emma stewart says in her statement? "i now know this(the iv drip) was inside the permitted time frame".

I think they all just require a yes or no answer,but thats up to you.

1)Gammalite do you believe she knew what she was doing was in breach of the rules. 

2) did she have an intent to help the horses performances by giving the raceday treatment.

3)do you believe that is the first time she has given raceday treatments? 

4) do you believe a trainer or athlete can be  great at what they do and also use performance enhancers? 

5)do you believe all performance enhancers will be picked up in testing?

I won't comment any further as your entitled to your opinions.i've already expressed mine.

Edited by the galah

37 minutes ago, the galah said:

i'm just trying understand your thinking. so  wondering if you can you answer these simple questions gammalite.

I think things that i have asked are black and white,so much information and examples out there for me to say that,but you may or may not agree.Anyway.

Emma stewart says in her statement? "i now know this(the iv drip) was inside the permitted time frame".

1)Gammalite do you believe she knew what she was doing was in breach of the rules. 

2) did she have an intent to help the horses performances by giving the raceday treatment.

4) do you believe a trainer or athlete can be  great at what they do and also use performance enhancers? 

I won't comment any further as your entitled to your opinions.i've already expressed mine.

And one other one gammalite.

This topic started by being all about the media giving next to no coverage of the stewart stables rule breaches.

You may have already answered it when you said.. you don't expect harness racing journalists to criticise the product...the product you inferred was represented by stewart.

The question i have is what level of success does warrant discussion,or is everyone to be treated the same and best not given any media coverage.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, the galah said:

Well mate your questions are not to be known by anyone except the relavent parties. 

I've commented that Mark Purdon and Emma Stewart have been dominant and winning races for a long time because of the TEAM effort and Strategies they have in place. The best support staff going. they break in and get to the races horse after horse. Very admirable.

I don't think the Media should crucify anyone , as you are calling for. How would they know the facts in this case. Act Now has won since being scratched that day at Maryborough by stewards and I'll be betting it was swabbed. Anything 'untoward' should be penalised .

question 1 / only Emma could possibly know that. not you or me.

question 2/ only Emma would know that. There's always talk about treatments / withholding periods etc. A lot of treatments are for the Welfare/ recovery of the horse. not to make it do better and race harder in the race. blatant cheating things are milkshakes and things like that....

question 3/ we are NO CHANCE of knowing her race day treatments. Innocent until proven guilty mate. you have no idea of the answer to that question ?? 

question 4/ All horses get treatments of some kind . orally , iv or tube . it helps them with welfare and recovery. Any high class athlete takes additives mate. Weetbix is good but you might just be an 'also ran' if you rely on it . 

question 5 / NO , I can answer that question. I think the testing is poor IMO . Mainly because the cycling athletes (who perform SUPERHUMAN feats ) every grand tour racing 20 days straight and they only catch a few of them 😅😂 Lance Armstrong got away for it for Years , and only caught and stripped of titles in the end because a disgruntled ex Team-mate dobbed them in. They were drug tested  rigourously too (or so they say 😆)

question 4/ 

• Like 1

She said she didn't. 

Doubtful the solution used would enhance the horses performance.

Probably not if she didn't know.

4) do you believe a trainer or athlete can be great at what they do and also use performance enhancers? 

Without being detected - No.

Yes.  But the solution being used wasn't a performance enhancer and is unlikely to be picked up unless the TCO2 passes the allowable level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think things that i have asked are black and white

But they're not.

The question i have is what level of success does warrant discussion,or is everyone to be treated the same and best not given any media coverage.

You assume that "anyone is interested".

How long should it be played out in the media?