Bit Of A Yarn

~The Champions sprint...because...

holy ravioli

32 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

So what's your point about ratings and their use for punting?

I don't care how you derive them - plenty of successful ways - but a punter has to have them to price markets otherwise how do you assess whether an available price is worth taking? Just need to have ratings that are more accurate than the bookie's.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, curious said:

I don't care how you derive them - plenty of successful ways - but a punter has to have them to price markets otherwise how do you assess whether an available price is worth taking? Just need to have ratings that are more accurate than the bookie's.

The flaw in your argument is you only find out ...after the...race!

I try to concentrate on who is the most likely winner of the race,cogniscent of the many variables that are at play ,that have no regard for a variety of ...ratings.

30 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

I try to concentrate on who is the most likely winner of the race, cogniscent of the many variables that are at play ,that have no regard for a variety of ...ratings.

OK. That's a very different approach to mine as a punter. I have no interest in assessing which horse will be most likely to win an event, even though I have that assessment. On the basis that every horse has a chance of doing so, even if that is less than 1%, I'm trying to find horses which have a chance significantly better than the bookies assessment. I have little interest in figuring out the horse most likely to win.

1 hour ago, curious said:

OK. That's a very different approach to mine as a punter. I have no interest in assessing which horse will be most likely to win an event, even though I have that assessment. On the basis that every horse has a chance of doing so, even if that is less than 1%, I'm trying to find horses which have a chance significantly better than the bookies assessment. I have little interest in figuring out the horse most likely to win.

Well....if that works for you...all good.

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

When did you post Dan O'Sullivans...ratings?🙄

If I recall correctly the ratings I posted from O'Sullivan was a comparison of the individual race ratings straight after the Maniakato and The Everest.  They weren't the overall horse ratings.  Imperatriz will have climbed up those after her Champions Sprint win.

42 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I must say, Ravioli has manged to stretch a fairly simplistic argument over 9 pages already, with no sign of it stopping any time soon.

Surely there comes a time when you just have to say "what's the point" and let him drift off.

You're right should stop feeding the founder.