Bit Of A Yarn

TAB telling Porkies?????

Brodie

Just read an article in the NZ Herald that states that this so called homeless man ROBERT, who is currently living in a garage, won $106,000 on the Melbourne Cup yesterday lol.

He put $5 on his telephone account and then when he looked at his balance he had over $106,000 lol.

Now they dont give his full name which is fair enough, but it is ROBERT from Petone.

They do not say how he won this $106,000  by what type of bet he had placed, just that he won $106,000!
Now on the face of it, this seems like an April Fools joke, but we arent in April!!!

Looking at the dividends from the Melbourne Cup yesterday there is no way on earth that ROBERT from Petone, won $106,000 from any $5 bet!!!!!!

I say it is BS, and totally made up by someone at the TAB for publicity!!!!
The win and place divs were $9 and 3.30 for the winner

3.40 and 21.00 for second and third.

the quinella 43.20

the trifecta 11,739

first 4, 333,291.10

the only way even remotely possible would be Robert the garage living punter from Petone is that he had a percentage bet but for $5 stake not possible! !

So going on those dividends there is no way on  earth that any Robert from Petone won $106,000

This has to be BS and very poor from the TAB!

If Brodie is wrong then will have to apologise but until such time as someone can advise me how it is possible, I say media BS!

Edited by Brodie

The TAB say they cant go into further details about the bet due to privacy reasons, but confirmed the $5 bet resulted in s $106,000 prize?

Why could they not disclose how the winning bet was made up of?

Surely this would be beneficial for the readers and promo for the TAB?

How on earth is it a breach of privacy when they have already named the homeless man from Petone as ROBERT?

Robert has come out in the media saying he won this $106,000 and said he lived in a garage and yet he doesnt seem to know how he actually won this $106k?

Surely having an account since he was 19, he would know how he obtained the winning $106k and wouldve been celebrating way before he looked at his account balance?

Very suspicious!

Edited by Brodie

Supposedly this Robert was on the radio this morning about winning this $106,000 on the Melbourne Cup.

Percentage bet apparently on first 4!

So much for privacy!

Robert was so surprised that he had won $106k????

Surely he knew he had won if he watched the race?

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

What about the Quaddie?  It was $69,500.40.

So how does he win $106,000, says it was the Melbourne Cup.

Had to be a percentage bet on the first 4, only way possible but seems very very dubious to me.

If you were living in a garage and won $106k, I wouldnt be telling the entire country over media, and if he was on the radio this morning, who told the radio station who he was to interview him?

If it is true, he has now made himself a target for anyone who knows him!

Crazy!!

Yeah, Privacy lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

About 32%.  It is possible.  You put your bet amount ($5) in the stake box and the system calculates the percentage.

I think they round down so 15 combinations.

Looks like marketing department been working overtime.

Just seems Improvable that with the millions of possible first 4 combinations possible someone with $5 can chuck the $21 for a place runner in for third??

How many bets on that $5 spend to have a per centage of 32?

Robert didn’t even know how he won?

Hey at the end of the day if it is legit then good old Robert will probably be able to move out of the garage!

He says he has a deposit on a house now!

He certainly wouldn’t have one if he is to remain in Wellington and debt servicing might be a problem.

But well done to Robert, great to have some success stories published.

Edited by Brodie

58 minutes ago, Brodie said:

How many bets on that $5 spend to have a per centage of 32?

15 combinations.

I'd say he took an Easy Bet F4 although I can't recall the % that gives you.

I know the person who was involved in setting up the Easy Bet in the old Jet Bet system (is it still in use?)

It isn't (wasn't?) a completely random selection but used an algorithm that factored in the favouritism of each horse.  So you'd always end up with some favoured horses in your ticket.  He advised me that the best chance of success was to wait until closer to start time to get the best chance.

If I recall correctly 1 in 3 tickets win.

46 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

15 combinations.

I'd say he took an Easy Bet F4 although I can't recall the % that gives you.

I know the person who was involved in setting up the Easy Bet in the old Jet Bet system (is it still in use?)

It isn't (wasn't?) a completely random selection but used an algorithm that factored in the favouritism of each horse.  So you'd always end up with some favoured horses in your ticket.  He advised me that the best chance of success was to wait until closer to start time to get the best chance.

If I recall correctly 1 in 3 tickets win.

So if it was an easy bet why on earth can’t the TAB state this rather than saying it was a privacy issue ffs?

Yet they can say is name is Robert ?

Interesting?

Common practice,it's not called b/s just...'marketing'.

Very hard to get caught out...generates free publicity.

Another one had a punter wanting Vauban for nearly a million win on an all upper...prior to the race...free advertising.

As for the anonymous punter who selected the Everest field in the correct order...puhleeeze....!!🤪

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

So if it was an easy bet why on earth can’t the TAB state this rather than saying it was a privacy issue ffs?

Yet they can say is name is Robert ?

Interesting?

"Robert investigated further before realising that it was no mistake, with a green tick next to his $5 first four easybets and NZ$106,000 in winnings".

A homeless man in New Zealand has remarkably won NZ$106,000 ($97,781.29 AUD) from a $5 bet on the Melbourne Cup.

The man from Wellington — who is only known by his first name Robert — placed the bet at the Petone Working Men’s Club the day before the race, not knowing that the small wager on the $8.4 million Cup, won by Without A Fight, would turn his life upside down.

Robert checked his account after the race, and had to look twice when he noticed five extra zeros next to his account balance.

“It was quite, quite an emotional process, mate,” he told the NZ Herald, understandably gobsmacked by the result.

“I couldn’t believe it, and I thought to myself, ‘there must be something wrong here’.”

Robert investigated further before realising that it was no mistake, with a green tick next to his $5 first four easybets and NZ$106,000 in winnings.

It was a result that could see Robert turn his life around, and that’s the way he intends to spend the money, after enduring the last nine months living in a garage.

“I’ve gone from being homeless, sitting in a garage to finally being able to afford a deposit on a house now,” he said.

Due to privacy reasons TAB was unable to disclose further details of the wager.

Robert watched the race at the Petone Working Men’s Club with friends, as Mark Zahra piloted $8 chance Without A Fight to Melbourne Cup glory for Anthony and Sam Freedman, securing Zahra’s second win in as many years in the race that stops the nation.

If you take a $5 easy bet F4 it gives you a combination totalling 31% which in this case, makes the maths work. 

Can't remember exactly, but from memory it's 2x3x4x5 

Incidentally, you can take a $1.80 easy bet that gives you the same combinations for 10% which I know a lot of people use when F4 pools are boosted.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

If you take a $5 easy bet F4 it gives you a combination totalling 31% which in this case, makes the maths work. 

Can't remember exactly, but from memory it's 2x3x4x5 

Incidentally, you can take a $1.80 easy bet that gives you the same combinations for 10% which I know a lot of people use when F4 pools are boosted.

I'm not sure what the math is but what are suggesting is there are 16 combinations.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:59 PM, Newmarket said:

Not sure it’s good for TAB to be bragging about a homeless man winning a bundle. Maybe that’s the reason he was homeless… gambling problem!!

Not really homeless,was living in a garage as he was planning travel overseas so let his rental agreement lapse but then circumstances changed and had nowhere to live.

According to the media a punter in Australia won $2.7 million by having just under $200 on a mystery Pick 4!

By the look of it you pick 4 horses and they have to run first 4 and he had them boxed!

He supposedly got 833% of the dividend and that was something like 332k.

Who would’ve thought? Lol

On 8/11/2023 at 3:24 PM, Chief Stipe said:

“I’ve gone from being homeless, sitting in a garage to finally being able to afford a deposit on a house now,” he said.

Homeless man to Bank: Here is my deposit.

Bank to homeless man: How do you intend paying the $500 a week mortgage given you have no job.

Homeless man: Shit I hadn't thought about that 😂

FFS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Bank to homeless man: How do you intend paying the $500 a week mortgage given you have no job.

FFS

Correct, but he may become a professional punter just doing easy bets?

Thing is the $106k wouldn’t be enough for a deposit on a house, but would be ok for the garage!

Good on him if it is legit!

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2023 at 7:14 PM, Nowornever said:

FFS

He has a job ffs.Cant believe the shit on this site.Laughable no wonder only 6 people on it