Bit Of A Yarn

Lisa Allpress gives Kim Clapperton a serve!

Chief Stipe

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

L Allpress – Admitted a charge in that she misconducted herself when using inappropriate language directed at the 
Apprentice Mentor, Ms K Clapperton after the running of this race. After hearing submissions, the Adjudicative 
Committee imposed a $300 fine.

I wonder what that was about. It's not like Lisa. Something must have wound her up.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Huey said:

Possibly the events of the final race on the card.

I'm sure you would be correct in that.

Lisa can be pretty snarky when she wants to be ( for the record I have the utmost respect for her,  and get on with her very well )   but she is not always popular in the jockeys' room and can be very critical of a difficult horse.

I suspect that the spray would be to do with the ability of young Kauri to adequately manage his mount, and the bigger issue which has been commented upon here and elsewhere,  the overall standard of our riders particularly many apprentices. 

• Like 1

It's a topic very important to me, to see young people achieve their dreams, and excel in their chosen path.

But for a fair while now our riders, especially down here, have been moderate at best and often appalling. 

While the old 'indentured to a trainer '  system was deemed to be past its time - where the boss managed everything about the lad's life and career - the newer system with mentors coming in and the apprentice school system and content being modified could not, IMO, be considered a sensational improvement. 

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Lisa can be pretty snarky when she wants to be ( for the record I have the utmost respect for her,  and get on with her very well )   but she is not always popular in the jockeys' room and can be very critical of a difficult horse.

Well she did her time with one of the best apprentice trainers and horse trainers so she certainly doesn't lack experience on how to do things.

A wee while back after suffering an injury she seemed to lose her mojo or confidence.  At the time she made a few comments about the competence of some of the jockeys.

Things haven't improved in that regard.

Imagine what a full field of inexperienced young horses at two different race meetings on the same day would be like!!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Freda said:

It's a topic very important to me, to see young people achieve their dreams, and excel in their chosen path.

But for a fair while now our riders, especially down here, have been moderate at best and often appalling. 

While the old 'indentured to a trainer '  system was deemed to be past its time - where the boss managed everything about the lad's life and career - the newer system with mentors coming in and the apprentice school system and content being modified could not, IMO, be considered a sensational improvement. 

Well done, finally admitting the terrible state of NZ riders. 
Another day yesterday watching races, saw far more Aussie races than NZ races, but still saw many horses without riders racing in nz, FFS 

It can be a depressing watch. The last race at Wanganui was not the only poor race yesterday but all highlighted how thin the ranks are in NZ of highly skilled jockeys. There is one pragmatic solution re apprentices. Give them more time to develop. 4kg claimers be only permitted to ride on industrial days midweek. 3kg claimers can ride Saturdays but not Premier/Super days. This would make racing safer and overall, there would be more natural attrition and with it  increased skill levels. An example of this yesterday is Jess Allen riding the feature winner at Wanganui, Semper Magico, but she would not be able to ride at Counties type meetings until she went to being a 30wins/2kg claimer

• Like 1

The only true way for an inexperienced jockey to learn the art of race riding is through opportunity and then making the most of that opportunity by immediately correcting their mistakes and by modelling themselves on a successful modern-day rider.

Race riding is actually very easy when you're on the best horse in the race, it's the actions of those around you that make it hard.

• Haha 1

On 26/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, Wingman said:

It can be a depressing watch. The last race at Wanganui was not the only poor race yesterday but all highlighted how thin the ranks are in NZ of highly skilled jockeys. There is one pragmatic solution re apprentices. Give them more time to develop. 4kg claimers be only permitted to ride on industrial days midweek. 3kg claimers can ride Saturdays but not Premier/Super days. This would make racing safer and overall, there would be more natural attrition and with it  increased skill levels. An example of this yesterday is Jess Allen riding the feature winner at Wanganui, Semper Magico, but she would not be able to ride at Counties type meetings until she went to being a 30wins/2kg claimer

That's all well and good but there just simply isn't the number of riders available to do this sort of thing in NZ

Meantime an excellent ride by Lisa Allpress in the Wanganui cup. She might not have got the same latitude on a premier day but if apprentices are looking to improve their skills, this race is 101 on how to position and improve ones position on your horse at various stages in a race.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wingman said:

Meantime an excellent ride by Lisa Allpress in the Wanganui cup. She might not have got the same latitude on a premier day but if apprentices are looking to improve their skills, this race is 101 on how to position and improve ones position on your horse at various stages in a race.

And there is a very valid point.  How many apprentices - and under-used riders generally - actually bother to WATCH races?   glue themselves to the screen to take in the skills of said Allpress ?  as well as Kennedy/Bosson/Zahra/Rawiller/Moore/Moreiera/Buick.......et al...most that I know [ and nice people, all of them ] will go to the pub and play the pokies, go home and watch Netflix..anything but focus.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Freda said:

And there is a very valid point.  How many apprentices - and under-used riders generally - actually bother to WATCH races?   glue themselves to the screen to take in the skills of said Allpress ?  as well as Kennedy/Bosson/Zahra/Rawiller/Moore/Moreiera/Buick.......et al...most that I know [ and nice people, all of them ] will go to the pub and play the pokies, go home and watch Netflix..anything but focus.

Especially with today's technology they can watch the Stewards vision over and over on their 55 inch smart TV's.

Speaking of the Stewards Vision replays - why can they get the race replays loaded within an hour but take up to 5-7 days or more for the Stewards Vision?  Especially when the process should be automated.  Does the RIB decide when it's released?  It isn't as if they have to take the cans back to town to develop them is it?

5 days after the Saturday races you've probably ridden at least two more days and are focused on the next Saturday.

48 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Especially with today's technology they can watch the Stewards vision over and over on their 55 inch smart TV's.

Speaking of the Stewards Vision replays - why can they get the race replays loaded within an hour but take up to 5-7 days or more for the Stewards Vision?  Especially when the process should be automated.  Does the RIB decide when it's released?  It isn't as if they have to take the cans back to town to develop them is it?

5 days after the Saturday races you've probably ridden at least two more days and are focused on the next Saturday.

I've been on about this before. Don't see why they shouldn't be there the same day. And the video quality is horrendous when we do get it.

1 minute ago, curious said:

And the video quality is horrendous when we do get it.

That's possibly to save (YouTube) costs although if they did it right they could earn revenue from viewers.  

I'm not sure what the costs are for commercial businesses to host video on YouTube.

I wouldn't be surprised if the approach is a hangover from the past where NZTR took a cost accountants approach to the storage costs.  Storage costs have plummeted.  About $4.50 a month for 1Tb of storage which can hold over 200 full length movies in 4k.

Of course there is the client side restriction as well - YouTube will adjust the definition (quality) relative to your bandwidth.  It is possible to overided this and force higher resolution but that's limited by what was loaded in the first place.

Anyway it should be an automated process.  Does NZTR or the RIB own the video?

On 28/11/2023 at 8:05 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Don't be surprised if you see OZ Jockeys being contracted to ride in some of the bigger races.  Another cost to owners but wouldn't you want to give your horse every chance?

On the NZ racing site i see an article regarding Blake Shinn getting the ride on Molly Bloom on Boxing Day.

Is Doyle got another ride or has he been ditched,does anybody know?

On 3/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, mumbles said:

On the NZ racing site i see an article regarding Blake Shinn getting the ride on Molly Bloom on Boxing Day.

Is Doyle got another ride or has he been ditched,does anybody know?

Yes , bit harsh it seems unless some genuine reason.

Spratty must be shitting herself after Hasabro ...