Bit Of A Yarn

Why the double standards?

the galah

Gemma thornley gets suspended for 6 days.

Sheree tomlinson gets suspended for 2 days.

Same adjudicator.

One on saturday and one on sunday.

Well if you read the decisions,you are left to ask,why does gemma thornleys suspension of 6 days include upcoming meetings held in southland,where she hardly ever drives.

And why does sheree tomlinsons suspension not include upcoming southland meetings,when she does drive regularly there.

In the past i've pointed out some seem to get a raw deal when it comes to what days are included,especially the amatuers.

here we have a very obvious inconsistency which makes no sense.

Its not the drivers concerned fault.

Its seems the adjudicator moved the goalposts..

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

• 1 month later...

Heres another one.

On the 10th of january tom nally was suspended for 7 days.

Tom nally is the southland junior driver who drives drives in southland/otago.

I'm guessing you could count on one hand the number of times he drives in canterbury. each year.

He had not driven in canterbury in the month prior to his suspension.

So what did the adjudicaator do.

well it appears they spun the chocolate wheel and it landed on the 2 of february.

So there are 4 meetings in southland or otago in the time frame he was suspended..

Then there were 3 days meetings in canterbury on days where there was no southland meeting.

So therefore it seems the adjudicators now will include any meeting from southland to canterbury as days included in someones suspension,irrespective of whether you drive in those areas.

In nallys case you can't even argue that he may have driven in junior driver races programmed,because one of the meetings included had no such race. Besides he hadn't driven in the canterbury junior races the month prior to his suspension.

I don't really follow this stuff,but when i do look at them,its obvious how farcical the penalties are and how totally inconsistent those that hand them out are.

Its just like the scratching penalties. Anyone who follows those must realise they are so inconsistently applied.

Harness racing seems to be riverting back to the days of inconsistency in judical penalties. 

Surely its time canterbury drivers start insisting they have southland meetings included in their days suspended.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

Also some of the part time drivers also get hit with healthy fines regards to whip usage, and the professionals get off quite lightly, another tough and unfair call, did I read that Miss Thornley is moving away to work in the equestrian game, or was it someone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Also some of the part time drivers also get hit with healthy fines regards to whip usage, and the professionals get off quite lightly, another tough and unfair call, did I read that Miss Thornley is moving away to work in the equestrian game, or was it someone else.

Unhinged did an interview with gemma thornley where she said she was going to work with the three day event type horses,i think. Its on his unhinged harness facebook site. She has been driving with confidence again in the last month and is a talented horse person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

She has been driving with confidence again in the last month and is a talented horse person.

Interesting observation given

G Thornley (TEMPO WARRIOR)
[Rule 869(3)(f)] - Drove improperly when restraining to allow outside runner into the trail 1700m (6 days).
Suspended from 11/12/2023 until 22/12/2023 inclusive.

She got caught cheating and deserved way more than she got in most peoples eyes.

Perhaps the time off will do her good because that drive did the industry no favours in the eyes of the public and punters

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Interesting observation given

G Thornley (TEMPO WARRIOR)
[Rule 869(3)(f)] - Drove improperly when restraining to allow outside runner into the trail 1700m (6 days).
Suspended from 11/12/2023 until 22/12/2023 inclusive.

She got caught cheating and deserved way more than she got in most peoples eyes.

Perhaps the time off will do her good because that drive did the industry no favours in the eyes of the public and punters

Your right about the drive she got suspended for.

But its not her that imposed the light penalty,so can't blame her for that.

in my opinion she was not driving at her best prior to that suspension,but since that expired and she resumed driving, she has been driving very well.So she obviously has already come back a wiser person. Going overseas sounds like a real  adventure. Mind you with technology today you can still stay in close contact with all her friends and family.

Edited by the galah

5 hours ago, the galah said:

Your right about the drive she got suspended for.

But its not her that imposed the light penalty,so can't blame her for that.

in my opinion she was not driving at her best prior to that suspension,but since that expired and she resumed driving, she has been driving very well.So she obviously has already come back a wiser person. Going overseas sounds like a real  adventure. Mind you with technology today you can still stay in close contact with all her friends and family.

I actually like her as a driver, and as you say served her sentence, and shame she moved on, I think there's worse driving out there than her, guess others see it differently. 

54 minutes ago, Shad said:

I actually like her as a driver, and as you say served her sentence, and shame she moved on, I think there's worse driving out there than her, guess others see it differently. 

I don't think people are knocking her natural ability,just the one drive. And for that type of thing,thats all it was,a one off.

I'm just saying some drivers go through the odd slump in form,just like they do in other sports.And just like in other sports,those that follow whatever particular sport it may be,notice it and often comment it on.

I'm sure being a top driver requires the same as being good at any sport,a large part is natural abilty and a significant part is the mindset. Confidence is a big thing. I'm also sure horses perform best when their mindset is good. Also horses can also sense the mindset of a driver and perform accordingly.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:00 AM, the galah said:

Gemma thornley gets suspended for 6 days.

Sheree tomlinson gets suspended for 2 days.

Same adjudicator.

One on saturday and one on sunday.

Well if you read the decisions,you are left to ask,why does gemma thornleys suspension of 6 days include upcoming meetings held in southland,where she hardly ever drives.

And why does sheree tomlinsons suspension not include upcoming southland meetings,when she does drive regularly there.

In the past i've pointed out some seem to get a raw deal when it comes to what days are included,especially the amatuers.

here we have a very obvious inconsistency which makes no sense.

Its not the drivers concerned fault.

Its seems the adjudicator moved the goalposts..

Very good post and reading I couldn't agree more.i shocked no racing today on a Thursday what he hell is going on.there was a horse at Redcliffe in last week called crime boss dead as a door nail so dead of a drive and I doubt stewards did a thing and major mischief won lol

Just my opinion I like the young man drivers I believe they have a advantage driving and I believe girls are not as good period.i don't believe the girls can do what the boys do.there are many real good girl drivers but the boy ones are better.thats why overseas you do not see any leading girl drivers.im not trashing the girls they are more than capable but the boys will do it a bit better!

5 hours ago, Forbury said:

Just my opinion I like the young man drivers I believe they have a advantage driving and I believe girls are not as good period.i don't believe the girls can do what the boys do.there are many real good girl drivers but the boy ones are better.thats why overseas you do not see any leading girl drivers.im not trashing the girls they are more than capable but the boys will do it a bit better!

Without the girl junior drivers there would be a major shortage and industry would be in a worse state!

Personally believe that our current crop of female drivers has never been so strong and are doing a great job.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

6 hours ago, Forbury said:

Currently there have been 24 Junior drivers have a drive in 2024. Of the 24, 14 are young women.

The 3 leading juniors are all men.

It has become an industry where women have a possibilty of being quite sucessful career wise, as well as having a job that is enjoyable and i think thats an area which is not promoted enough myself.

Although i'm with you forbury in thinking men will always havea slight advantage  just because they have that bit more natural aggression in them. Sometimes that may not be the best thing,but it is a thing.

As far as the junior driver premiership goes it will end up being between wilson house,carter dalgety and sam thornley.That should be a good battle.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Forbury said:

i don't believe the girls can do what the boys do.there are many real good girl drivers but the boy ones are better.thats why overseas you do not see any leading girl drivers

Can't say I agree with that Forbs. Natalie Rasmussen winning everything in sight Aus and would be near the BEST i've seen in 40 years competing. and of course she went to NZ to prove it and beat up all the best there (including Mark at times lol 😂 )

Kate Gath winning with all sorts of horses in Victoria (and the last Miracle Mile to boot) and Kerryn Manning and many more. 

Currently 3 of Brisbanes best and leading drivers are the 3 McMullen sisters . Danielle, Narissa and Taleah beat the boys home every week and a 'real good' to use your term. There Older brother Pete McMullen shows WAY more AGGRESSION in his race drives... as The Galah has said , that is Definitely a Much more 'Male' thing in the races , and he does get results, Both ways.

Aggression can lead to Wins but absolutely gets you beat a lot of the time as well . A bit like your 'BOAY posts'  a lot of the time Forb's  ?😂😁😎...    

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Can't say I agree with that Forbs. Natalie Rasmussen winning everything in sight Aus and would be near the BEST i've seen in 40 years competing. and of course she went to NZ to prove it and beat up all the best there (including Mark at times lol 😂 )

Kate Gath winning with all sorts of horses in Victoria (and the last Miracle Mile to boot) and Kerryn Manning and many more. 

Currently 3 of Brisbanes best and leading drivers are the 3 McMullen sisters . Danielle, Narissa and Taleah beat the boys home every week and a 'real good' to use your term. There Older brother Pete McMullen shows WAY more AGGRESSION in his race drives... as The Galah has said , that is Definitely a Much more 'Male' thing in the races , and he does get results, Both ways.

Aggression can lead to Wins but absolutely gets you beat a lot of the time as well . A bit like your 'BOAY posts'  a lot of the time Forb's  ?😂😁😎...    

I laughed when I saw Kate gaths name.even more with the Brisbane girls.as for Natalie Rasmussen grew up in a cheating family in racing then went to another one in Purdon and the race fixing was rife with team driving and who knows what they were doing to the horses.mark and Natalie can count there lucky stars that Steve malcay has multiple cognitive impairments and got away with the most blatant race fixing you'll ever see with amazing dream and beyond words which resulted in them scamming the Americans in to buying as a result.so dirty dishonest cheats in my opinion and Natalie has never ever been as good as the top MEN drivers PERIOD.

Edited by Forbury
P
  • Bad Post 1

19 hours ago, the galah said:

Currently there have been 24 Junior drivers have a drive in 2024. Of the 24, 14 are young women.

The 3 leading juniors are all men.

It has become an industry where women have a possibilty of being quite sucessful career wise, as well as having a job that is enjoyable and i think thats an area which is not promoted enough myself.

Although i'm with you forbury in thinking men will always havea slight advantage  just because they have that bit more natural aggression in them. Sometimes that may not be the best thing,but it is a thing.

As far as the junior driver premiership goes it will end up being between wilson house,carter dalgety and sam thornley.That should be a good battle.

Wilson house has been a big improver.sam has always had the talent.since he left Fred Fletcher things ain't as good there.sam was a big asset to that stable.so he's a talented horseman being able to train as well.i agree very fine line in the aggressive drives.carter still has a stack to learn that's for sure.dexters ocd Dunn influence certainly has a had a influence on him as he's so predictable in wanting the front not always to his advantage.i would honestly say Sam is the best because of his experience but think carter has the talent to become the best at the moment.all these young drivers have gone through a rough period trying things to win races but not to the horses advantage.its all learning.wilson has improved a lot

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brodie said:

Without the girl junior drivers there would be a major shortage and industry would be in a worse state!

Personally believe that our current crop of female drivers has never been so strong and are doing a great job.

You keep backing the girls and I'll back the boys and see where that gets you.oh I forgot you don't bet

4 hours ago, Forbury said:

You keep backing the girls and I'll back the boys and see where that gets you.oh I forgot you don't bet

I back what I think is worth the effort Forbury, whether it has a male or female driver, I dont consider myself as Sexist!

Think if you actually looked deeply at the performances of the female drivers you might change your mind?

You would think that the females would struggle to handle the driving of harness horses due to in many cases their physical strength, however that doesnt seem to  be the case!

What I do know is that we need to keep attracting them into harness racing as I believe they are an asset that the industry can not afford to lose, cos without them things would be far worse off!

Have a good punting weekend Forbury!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Forbury said:

I laughed when I saw Kate gaths name.even more with the Brisbane girls.as for Natalie Rasmussen grew up in a cheating family in racing then went to another one in Purdon and the race fixing was rife with team driving and who knows what they were doing to the horses.mark and Natalie can count there lucky stars that Steve malcay has multiple cognitive impairments and got away with the most blatant race fixing you'll ever see with amazing dream and beyond words which resulted in them scamming the Americans in to buying as a result.so dirty dishonest cheats in my opinion and Natalie has never ever been as good as the top MEN drivers PERIOD.

Don't know where to start with that Forb's . You sure fit the AGGRESSIVE MALE billing though. Guess a good thing you don't drive in races. Vic Rasmussen is one of the great guys of trotting , and his 3 daughters achieved Great things . Kate Gath doing a spectacular job with many diifficult trotters and also is the Current Miracle Mile champion (beating the 'Boys' on their own turf at Menangle. 

As for calling the greatest Family ever in New Zealand harness Racing History cheats All the bloody time , you should Hang your head in shame?. You don't even know a class Act when you see it right in front of you.  Roy Purdon and his 3 sons and lovely daughter have Decades of Fine performances and wins (probably some more tonight) and you continue to Tarnish them with Stupid stuff. Get a Grip mate. Stable-mates help each other every week . countless episodes . 

You're pointing the Gun at the wrong people , and don't even know it. what a dick. 

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Don't know where to start with that Forb's . You sure fit the AGGRESSIVE MALE billing though. Guess a good thing you don't drive in races. Vic Rasmussen is one of the great guys of trotting , and his 3 daughters achieved Great things . Kate Gath doing a spectacular job with many diifficult trotters and also is the Current Miracle Mile champion (beating the 'Boys' on their own turf at Menangle. 

As for calling the greatest Family ever in New Zealand harness Racing History cheats All the bloody time , you should Hang your head in shame?. You don't even know a class Act when you see it right in front of you.  Roy Purdon and his 3 sons and lovely daughter have Decades of Fine performances and wins (probably some more tonight) and you continue to Tarnish them with Stupid stuff. Get a Grip mate. Stable-mates help each other every week . countless episodes . 

You're pointing the Gun at the wrong people , and don't even know it. what a dick. 

Yes whatever just show yourself up again!

What a great feature ignored users never have to see anything again it's not like you ever offer anything that will make anyone make any money just jibba Jabba and abuse.i will not lower myself to your level.you had a go two posts in a row.its not called for on someones opinion you dislike.you now have cost everyone on this site again making money as I may not post again.defending a multiple cheat and animal cruelty and someone who is responsible for his leading owners death says it all about you

• Confused 1