Bit Of A Yarn

Injuries

Stipesboy

9 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

My New Years resolution was to create a post on BOAY that sparked Chief's interest.

I accomplished it within 2 weeks.

Time for my 50 weeks holiday now and go back to boring & upsetting him.

I should've written the comment in a different coloured font as you failed to detect it was dripping with sarcasm.

I note you have avoided explaining your newly created statistic that defies logic.  

But then the majority of your statistics are worthless as they are not normalised and are biased.  Not to forget they have no reference to any standard nor any measure of variance or probability.

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I asked you to explain why a one turn track has double the injuries of a two turn track.

Actually Chief, that's not what you asked. Might pay to clean your glasses.

On 14/01/2024 at 12:04 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Interesting stat.  A one turn track has double the injury rate of a one turn track.

13 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Actually Chief, that's not what you asked. Might pay to clean your glasses.

On 14/01/2024 at 12:04 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Interesting stat.  A one turn track has double the injury rate of a two turn track.

We await Chazza's erudite analysis.

So what is your analysis for this apparent incongruity?

Here's an extremely interesting article from 2018 about Greyhound injury . 

It puts togeather international figures , (which would be similar to domestic .

X-ray shows the common injury page 18, The types of injury page 9, and Reasons for injury inbetween !!   read the lot in about 15 minutes . Is very good . and answers ALL the INJURY questions. 

The track surface having a lot to do with it . 

Hope this helps 😀😊🦮

Injuries in racing greyhounds.pdf

11 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Here's an extremely interesting article from 2018 about Greyhound injury . 

It puts togeather international figures , (which would be similar to domestic .

X-ray shows the common injury page 18, The types of injury page 9, and Reasons for injury inbetween !!   read the lot in about 15 minutes . Is very good . and answers ALL the INJURY questions. 

The track surface having a lot to do with it . 

Hope this helps 😀😊🦮

Injuries in racing greyhounds.pdf 2.4 MB · 1 download

Stirrer!  Publishing a report funded by an organisation whose sole objective is the banning of Greyhound Racing.  Surely you're not suggesting that's Chazza's aka @Yankiwi 's objective?

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Stirrer!  Publishing a report funded by an organisation whose sole objective is the banning of Greyhound Racing.  Surely you're not suggesting that's Chazza's aka @Yankiwi 's objective?

Not at all Chief. I was only commenting on the Injury , what they are , and you were interested in percentages which are there, and how they occur. All well covered in that interesting report.

The state of the Industry being Banned or whatever is another Topic ? I would of thought.

Seems to be thriving in Australia. We had 2 races with a $1,000,000 to the winner run in December . Seem to be keeping well up with the trots. Fancy a greyhound getting a million in one race? couldn't believe it . Postman Pat was in one of them for Nz as well. 

21 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Not at all Chief. I was only commenting on the Injury , what they are , and you were interested in percentages which are there, and how they occur. All well covered in that interesting report.

The state of the Industry being Banned or whatever is another Topic ? I would of thought.

Seems to be thriving in Australia. We had 2 races with a $1,000,000 to the winner run in December . Seem to be keeping well up with the trots. Fancy a greyhound getting a million in one race? couldn't believe it . Postman Pat was in one of them for Nz as well. 

Australian racing is far ahead of NZ racing right now in many respects.

The NZ board brought in some clown who ran NSW tracks into the ground 8 or so years ago then wondered why NZ had the same issues.

Its poorly run in NZ and the same people make the same poor decisions.

Its why as of right now, any new racing investments for me will be in the Australian industry and id suggest this to anyone in NZ

Edited by BitofaLegend

22 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

The biggest flaw in the report is it relies heavily on a NZ RIB report.  

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

While you're at it - what is the accepted norm % for Greyhound injury during racing?

How about we go with what GRNZ strives for?

image.png.a6bd3351322e15f0f429dd551ad32157.png

Major 1 - 4.1 per 1000 = 0.41%

Major 2 - 2.0 per 1000 = 0.20%

In the first two weeks of the season in the spreadsheet I had posted above there were as follows.

• 1266 starters
  • 11 "Major 1" injuries or 0.87% - Over double the "acceptable" rate.
  1. Auckland - 3 with 165 starters or 1.81%
  2. Palmerston North - 2 with 136 starters or 1.47%
  • 3 "Major 2" injuries or 0.24% - Again more than the "acceptable" rate.
  1. Addington - 2 with 566 starters or 0.35%

So, in the first two weeks of the new year, there's obviously something going wrong on 3 of the 6 greyhound tracks.

Why do they keep racing on them when welfare underpins everything they do?

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

So, in the first two weeks of the new year, there's obviously something going wrong on 3 of the 6 greyhound tracks.

So what's your measure of variance?  Two weeks means zero.  Let me guess you are a Cost Accountant?

20 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

How about we go with what GRNZ strives for?

image.png.a6bd3351322e15f0f429dd551ad32157.png

Major 1 - 4.1 per 1000 = 0.41%

Major 2 - 2.0 per 1000 = 0.20%

In the first two weeks of the season in the spreadsheet I had posted above there were as follows.

• 1266 starters
  • 11 "Major 1" injuries or 0.87% - Over double the "acceptable" rate.
  1. Auckland - 3 with 165 starters or 1.81%
  2. Palmerston North - 2 with 136 starters or 1.47%
  • 3 "Major 2" injuries or 0.24% - Again more than the "acceptable" rate.
  1. Addington - 2 with 566 starters or 0.35%

Why do they keep racing on them when welfare underpins everything they do?

14 minutes ago, Overit said:

I've been trying to copy and paste minutes of the welfare meeting with no luck.  I wonder if any of the track staff or the 2 clowns who are in charge of most of the tracks the dogs race on  are even accredited on the task.  As it is minuted it is offered to them.

4 hours ago, Overit said:

I've been trying to copy and paste minutes of the welfare meeting with no luck.  I wonder if any of the track staff or the 2 clowns who are in charge of most of the tracks the dogs race on  are even accredited on the task.  As it is minuted it is offered to them.

Here's a link to the latest one available, 17 Oct 2023

https://www.grnz.co.nz/Files/Animal Health Welfare Committee minutes/2023 10 17 AHWC Minutes - Draft (1).pdf

This is probably the portion of it you were referring to.

Addington - A number of historical issues dating back to 2011 post earthquake and to April 2021. Track staff have not been willing to engage with our strategy and view on where we need to get to in the industry ultimately led to a decision on 22 September when track staff considered they weren’t comfortable with the track. In a nutshell long term findings, Addington requires significant reconstruction. There is frustration that there is no alternate venue and is detrimental to the industry. If proceeding with reconstruction then it will be done to a professional standard where good for 15-20 years. Addington reopens today, plan in place to get through to 31 December subject to performance and ongoing management of track. If it gets to an unacceptable level we will suspend racing. Logical time to do a complete renovation is January/February as harness racing is not on. Currently the nearest track is Invercargill 7.5 hours away, impacting financially, and on welfare of the dogs. Key discussion at Board next Wednesday 25 October. Track today is the most consistent it has presented since 13 June, great diagnostic perspective but gives no assurance that no injury will occur on track. BW confident as he possibly can be that the track and staff have ticked every box. BW discussed the water content and the importance of this. Engagement at Addington at Roadshow has been really positive in informing industry. Honesty and being transparent is appreciated from the industry. The Chair is encouraged by a proactive approach. BW raised the issue of the number of trials before meetings. Discussion on Addington water irrigation system.

Edited by Yankiwi

13 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Here's a link to the latest one available, 17 Oct 2023

https://www.grnz.co.nz/Files/Animal Health Welfare Committee minutes/2023 10 17 AHWC Minutes - Draft (1).pdf

This is probably the portion of it you were referring to.

Addington - A number of historical issues dating back to 2011 post earthquake and to April 2021. Track staff have not been willing to engage with our strategy and view on where we need to get to in the industry ultimately led to a decision on 22 September when track staff considered they weren’t comfortable with the track. In a nutshell long term findings, Addington requires significant reconstruction. There is frustration that there is no alternate venue and is detrimental to the industry. If proceeding with reconstruction then it will be done to a professional standard where good for 15-20 years. Addington reopens today, plan in place to get through to 31 December subject to performance and ongoing management of track. If it gets to an unacceptable level we will suspend racing. Logical time to do a complete renovation is January/February as harness racing is not on. Currently the nearest track is Invercargill 7.5 hours away, impacting financially, and on welfare of the dogs. Key discussion at Board next Wednesday 25 October. Track today is the most consistent it has presented since 13 June, great diagnostic perspective but gives no assurance that no injury will occur on track. BW confident as he possibly can be that the track and staff have ticked every box. BW discussed the water content and the importance of this. Engagement at Addington at Roadshow has been really positive in informing industry. Honesty and being transparent is appreciated from the industry. The Chair is encouraged by a proactive approach. BW raised the issue of the number of trials before meetings. Discussion on Addington water irrigation system.

Many Thanks was after the part of track staff national accreditation and wondered if this is a thing or not. 

On 16/01/2024 at 11:03 PM, Chief Stipe said:

So what's your measure of variance?  Two weeks means zero.  Let me guess you are a Cost Accountant?

Auckland today.

Time to act (verb) not act (like an actor or actress) GRNZ.

image.thumb.png.a1d1d10444b90954d3a95ca7fe5bb96c.png

Edited by Yankiwi

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a poor dog gained 2 broken hocks on Addington's damaged and old track. Come on Greyhound Racing NZ action what you quoted in Welfae minutes and close and fix this track and stop the band aiding and do the right thing by dogs.

• Like 1

After last week's fiasco at Auckland, on to the finals today.

96 starters - 7 injuries requiring a stand-down or put simply 7.3% of the dogs that raced today were injured.

Here's the updated spreadsheet of injuries this calendar year, which now includes GRNZ "KPI" target figure.

image.png.2a21a7aef2c09bd14c63ae8213a94d87.png