Bit Of A Yarn

Injuries

Stipesboy

Since GRNZ runs a crazy racing season (1 Aug to 31July), I've compiled the injury data to fit into their "season".

The 1st quarter (1 Aug to 31 Oct) of the 2023/2024 season saw things spot on with the GRNZ KPI target numbers. That's probably what they will report.

Following is what they won't report.

Auckland overall injury total was over two times higher than any other track and to compare Auckland to the GRNZ KPI target, it was 240% of what it is had been set at.

Major injuries percentages were equal high in both Auckland & Christchurch at 0.8% or 33% higher than GRNZ's target for major injuries.

image.png.9c687ebfcf0f7470c56ee39af3bb514c.png

Today is the last day of the 2nd quarter, so I'll wait for today's results to be posted on the GRNZ website, then I'll compile it & post the data.

I will forewarn, it's not looking very good in comparison to the 1st quarter or the KPI target.

Second quarter (1 Nov to 31 Jan) results have been tabulated.

image.png.4299fb6db15578e84fe5a0955e5ac4ad.png

All tracks combined, the total, Minor/Medium and Major were all well over the benchmark.

Auckland easily led the pack in all three categories. Their numbers are off the chart when compared to the KPI targets.

They targeted installing a safety rail by late November. That hasn't happened.

1.3% of the dogs that race in Q2 were seriously injured in Auckland, more than double the GRNZ target rate.

GRNZ knows it, why don't they do anything about it?

Smoke & mirrors underpins everything GRNZ does.

41 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Second quarter (1 Nov to 31 Jan) results have been tabulated.

image.png.4299fb6db15578e84fe5a0955e5ac4ad.png

All tracks combined, the total, Minor/Medium and Major were all well over the benchmark.

Auckland easily led the pack in all three categories. Their numbers are off the chart when compared to the KPI targets.

They targeted installing a safety rail by late November. That hasn't happened.

1.3% of the dogs that race in Q2 were seriously injured in Auckland, more than double the GRNZ target rate.

Smoke & mirrors underpins everything GRNZ does.

Actually, disregard the 2nd quarter for the moment I've located an error which I will soon correct.

Auckland isn't as bad as it first showed.

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

So you want them to stop racing dogs?  Is that your aim?

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Maybe get some dogs with shorter legs. 

8 Dachshunds charging up the straight after a hot dog on a remote control car can't come to any injury grief could they ?  

no corners, would take 30 seconds the same as a greys race. and Hungriest dog Wins !!  

grandma's would drop out of trees to get to the races to see those bad-boys run. 

Alright, got to the bottom of it.

There was a screw up reporting the data in the quarterly subsections. Some overlap of Oct/Nov. Some not counted at all, some counted twice. It's now fixed

Here's the corrected outputs.

Q1 - Spot on the GRNZ KPI target.

image.png.592d6f0d13a71982a147f7fb924ea9dc.png

Q2 - Total, Minor/Med & Major all well above the target.

image.png.20092cbabd26af28fc006a4495a38739.png

New season to date (half year) - Poor 2nd quarter results have raised the season averages well above the KPI target.

image.png.1f14f4b32e22ba65dd6419b9a3f9d3f1.png

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why doesn't GRNZ release injury data on an individual track basis?

Well, I now have compiled and shared it and it's obvious there are some tracks that are far more dangerous than others.

They talk about fixing Auckland (safety rail) - nowhere to be seen. 

They talk about a new lure system for Palmerston North -nowhere to be seen.

They talk about closing down Christchurch for a much needed overhaul. - nowhere to be seen.

They talk about a new straight track in Wanganui - nowhere to be seen.

Hell, even today they talked about hiring another new (unneeded) suit for headquarters.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/News/3152/New-Staff-Member-Announcement

They chirp like birds but move like a sloth.

Romans will be Romans.

Guess I have to find a new home for brief study #4.

This place will do.

1. What was the injury data for Wanganui before the major refurb leading up to the point GRNZ decided it was required?
  2. What was the injury data for Wanganui after the refurb.
  3. How does the pre refurb 2nd quarter data at Wanganui compare to the current 2nd quarter data from Auckland.

This data is compiled from the Steward reports.

1) Wanganui's final 2nd Quarter 1 Nov 2020 to 31 Jan 2021 (20/21 season) prior to the refurb.

image.png.bf5920f6e123cd93161f95949e432dd3.png

Footnote: 1 Jan 2021 data is correct. It's a combination of the 1 Jan Stewards report & supplementary information published about the meeting in the 8 Jan Report.

image.png.cfcfbd6dc93f69a509616664338f8d31.png

2.) Wanganui's first 2nd Quarter 1 Nov 2023 to 31 Jan 2024 (23/24 season) after the refurb.

image.png.79767e5e961cbd3691d0b3d1f5bbac4a.png

Summary.

The track became far less likely to injure a greyhound. If anything, the pre refurb data would be on the low side, as back then there was no requirement for a trainer to report any racing sustained injury after having left the track.

3) Compare Wanganui pre refurb data with Auckland current season data.

Wanganui's realized injuries prior to the refurb.

image.png.7a2d4eeab3bf6f8c0f48a36927f4730e.png

Auckland's realized injuries 23/24 season 2nd quarter data.

image.png.5e7a8d4339a6069e337f15cb41219045.png

Summary - Auckland's injury per capita was far higher than Wanganui's pre refurb in total injuries, Minor & Medium injuries while only slightly lower in Major injuries.

The last 3 meeting held in Auckland have been atrocious injury wise.

image.png.b7e581f37bd69d211e71a286286f35fa.png

Crickets chirp.

Sunday is 3 days away.

Good luck to everyone and your dogs. They are going to every bit of luck they can get.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Romans will be Romans.

This place will do.

1. What was the injury data for Wanganui before the major refurb leading up to the point GRNZ decided it was required?
  3. How does the pre refurb 2nd quarter data at Wanganui compare to the current 2nd quarter data from Auckland.

1) Wanganui's final 2nd Quarter 1 Nov 2020 to 31 Jan 2021 (20/21 season) prior to the refurb.

Footnote: 1 Jan 2021 data is correct. It's a combination of the 1 Jan Stewards report & supplementary information published about the meeting in the 8 Jan Report.

2.) Wanganui's first 2nd Quarter 1 Nov 2023 to 31 Jan 2024 (23/24 season) after the refurb.

Summary.

The track became far less likely to injure a greyhound. If anything, the pre refurb data would be on the low side, as back then there was no requirement for a trainer to report any racing sustained injury after having left the track.

Summary - Auckland's injury per capita was far higher than Wanganui's pre refurb in total injuries, Minor & Medium injuries while only slightly lower in Major injuries.

Crickets chirp.

Sunday is 3 days away.

Good luck to everyone and your dogs. They are going to every bit of luck they can get.

Getting into the worst time if yesr at aucklands track so no surprised

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Romans will be Romans.

This place will do.

Summary.

Crickets chirp.

Sunday is 3 days away.

No measure of variance or normalisation of data.  Pointless presentation.

D-

23 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

Getting into the worst time if yesr at aucklands track so no surprised

The pre refurb 2nd quarter data for Wanganui was from 1 Nov 2020 to 31 Jan 2021.

The post refurb 2nd quarter data for Wanganui was from 1 Nov 2023 to Jan 2024

The current 2nd quarter data for Auckland was from 1 Nov 2023 to 31 Jan 2024.

You've predicted things will only get worse over the next 3 months or so. I agree with that prediction. It has history heavily skewing it in that direction.

The 3-hock meeting I referred to in the thread Chief felt the need to lock was held in April 2014. The only noticeable difference about the track surface between then and now is now the track is watered by sprinklers, while back then was a water truck. Remember how it used to spill all the water on the track as it entered the track behind the 520m boxes?

Anyways.

Up next, when time allows, brief study #5 will compare 2nd quarter injury data from 2014 in Auckland with the same current 2nd quarter data.

We'll be able to see just how much better the track is performing today than it was in the lead up to first dog Caesar Legend breaking his hock all those years ago.

Since I'm continually accused as having a personal bias, I might as well develop one, since an accusation proves ones guilt in this day & age. 

43 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

No measure of variance or normalisation of data.  Pointless presentation.

Cancel culture.

Don't believe what your eyes can see. A dangerous track is safe & effective. Even though you may know what's going to happen in the near future, after it's happened, it didn't happen.

Hockvid-19 or Gracilisvid-19?

Either way Pfizer is working hard in the background to keep the dogs safe.

38 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Question Charles, r u boosterd. Me no.

I'll honestly & happily answer your question John, with bonus coverage.

I held back against the vax tide & was very hesitant.

My wife worked in the Hospital, so she went & got the first two shots without questioning anything. I was still a hold out. Then late in the day on the vaxathon Saturday (or whatever they called it), I gave in and decided to get my first shot. Had my wife drive me to a drive-thru clinic & got the jab. Then she pulled the car forward to the waiting area, where you were supposed to wait for 15 or 20 minutes (can't remember the exact holding period). About 5 minutes into the hold period, I began feeling hot & feverish. Told my wife I was feeling hot, she said recline the seat and relax. I said na, I'll be alright.

Next thing I remember there was an ambulance dude in my face, using "Charles", asking me if I was ok & how I was feeling.

He met immediate resistance from me. Who the hell are you? How do you know my name? Why are you in my face trying to take me out of my car.

Needless to say, I went out cold. Wife has since told me it was for about 5 minutes & filled me in on what happened during my memory lapse.

As I came further back to the real world & stopped them from removing me from the car, I found I had an O2 meter thing on my finger and a blood pressure device on my arm. I calmed down a bit & asked what my O2 reading was, he said 98%. Good! I then asked what my blood pressure was, he said he hadn't taken it yet. I said go on then, but I want to know the result. He took my BP and it retuned slightly high. He had some concerns. I told him that is normal for me, as the first time during an exam it's always a bit high, then when retaken at the end of the exam when I'm more relaxed it's completely normal.

They still tried to get me to go into their ambulance, I refused. I told them to take their instruments off me because we'll be leaving now. Said I'll be going home, get a cold glass of water, go out on to my deck and pet my dog while I have a cigarette.

That was the end of the days event & that was also the last time I will be injected with anything I'm not informed about enough for my liking.

Had a couple of 2-day head colds since then. Never had a swab up my nose for testing anything. Don't know if I've had Covid. Don't care if I've had it. Don't know if it even exists.

As for my wife, I finally convinced her (my episode would have been a big help) not to be boosted and take the axing they were threatening from the hospital she had worked many years in. In the last year or so, some of her old bosses have approached her about returning. Saying that they are not in good shape & really need long experienced clued-up staff like herself.

Her ex-bosses don't seem to like the answer she gives them.

• Like 2