Bit Of A Yarn

That's how it is done

Nice Option

Have a horse trained in Victoria and it had its first start the other day. In the mail I received a package from Racing Victoria welcoming me to the Victoria Owners Gold Card program. The card itself has various entitlements attached throughout Victoria and also received an owners car pass for all race tracks across the region. This is a pretty sharp operation, I have raced horses in NZ before but dont recall this type of engagement 

16 hours ago, Freda said:

Don't think there is such a scheme...to our shame.

Riccarton has an 'owners' day'  where free entry is given and a discounted luncheon....better than nothing but a long way from what you describe.

When I first started out owning horses (70’s) we always got given tickets to the official Club luncheon.

The CJC ones were an excellent occasion too. 

I don’t remember when it stopped!

Does anyone?

On 24/10/2018 at 8:19 AM, Nice Option said:

Have a horse trained in Victoria and it had its first start the other day. In the mail I received a package from Racing Victoria welcoming me to the Victoria Owners Gold Card program. The card itself has various entitlements attached throughout Victoria and also received an owners car pass for all race tracks across the region. This is a pretty sharp operation, I have raced horses in NZ before but dont recall this type of engagement 

Yep, it’s not rocket science but it’s not surprising it doesn’t happen in NZ.  I found that lack of customer empathy to be across the board in NZ...people just don’t seem to get it...hello PETONE....

on the whole(I’m talking retail, real estate, travel, etc)  it seems customers are just a necessary evil...and thoroughbred racing is no different.....unless of course, they want to bleed you! 

Well Well this is the news this afternoon here in Brisbane....attention Winston, 

Highlights include:

Provincial SEQ meetings (Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Ipswich) - $6.9 million increase

• Standard race stakes raised from $16,000 to $21,000 (+31.25%)
  • Maiden race stakes raised from $15k to $21k (+40%)
  • Introduction of prize money for fifth-placed runners
  • Introduction of $400 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th.

Provincial Queensland meetings (inc. Toowoomba, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns) - $5.4 million increase

• All races at Toowoomba Turf Club raised from $14,000 to $19,000 (+35.7%)
  • Introduction of $19,000 races at weekly Northern Provincial Showcase meetings
  • Remaining provincial stakes raised from $14,000 to $16,500 (+17.8%)
    • Introduction of $400 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th
  • Country TAB stakes raised from $12,000 to $14,500 (+20.83%) at:
    • Kilcoy, Beaudesert, Warwick, Lockyer (Gatton), Dalby and Roma meetings
  • Key Northern Cups and the Toowoomba Cup raised to $150,000 prize money.

Mid-week Metropolitan meetings - $2.4 million increase

• Standard race stakes raised from $25,000 to $30,000 (+20%)
  • Maidens raised from $20,000 to $25,000 (+25%)
  • Introduction of $500 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th.

Saturday metropolitan meetings - $2.15 million increase

• Standard race stakes raised from $70,000 to $75,000 (+7.1%)
  • All races increased by $5,000 to accommodate introduction of $1000 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th
  • Listed races to carry minimum stakes of $125,000 (+25%)

NZ racing is technically insolvent.

All the railing in the world cannot  conjure up 'more money' because there is no more left.

Without a model change it is anybody's guess how stakes of ANY level can be provided.

Even the total implementation of the Messara recommendations will take time to realise what is envisaged...and there is no guarantee - IMO only of course - that those recommendations  will work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

Well Well this is the news this afternoon here in Brisbane....attention Winston, 

Highlights include:

Provincial SEQ meetings (Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Ipswich) - $6.9 million increase

• Standard race stakes raised from $16,000 to $21,000 (+31.25%)
  • Maiden race stakes raised from $15k to $21k (+40%)
  • Introduction of $400 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th.

Provincial Queensland meetings (inc. Toowoomba, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns) - $5.4 million increase

• All races at Toowoomba Turf Club raised from $14,000 to $19,000 (+35.7%)
  • Introduction of $19,000 races at weekly Northern Provincial Showcase meetings
  • Remaining provincial stakes raised from $14,000 to $16,500 (+17.8%)
    • Introduction of $400 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th
  • Country TAB stakes raised from $12,000 to $14,500 (+20.83%) at:
    • Kilcoy, Beaudesert, Warwick, Lockyer (Gatton), Dalby and Roma meetings
  • Key Northern Cups and the Toowoomba Cup raised to $150,000 prize money.

Mid-week Metropolitan meetings - $2.4 million increase

• Standard race stakes raised from $25,000 to $30,000 (+20%)
  • Maidens raised from $20,000 to $25,000 (+25%)
  • Introduction of $500 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th.

Saturday metropolitan meetings - $2.15 million increase

• Standard race stakes raised from $70,000 to $75,000 (+7.1%)
  • All races increased by $5,000 to accommodate introduction of $1000 payment for runners placed 6th to 10th
  • Listed races to carry minimum stakes of $125,000 (+25%)

You're not seriously thinking the NZ government should be stumping up with money for stakes?

The state governments in Australia receive massive money from the industry the way it is structured there. What they give back is nowhere near what they get. 

You have to be able to differentiate money that is just a handout compared to money that is merely a reinvestment back into the industry the government received the money from.

The same applies to both NSW and VIC. Eg. Tabcorp paid VIC state government $410m for a 12 year license fee to operate as the tote provider. That fee on a simple investment plan can easily deliver $40m per year handout back to racing for the same 12 years, without costing the state government any money from other avenues. Perhaps you can show me where VIC government has averaged $40m per year in 'handouts' back to the industry. 

These state governments receive a lot of industry related revenue. They just don't hand money out willy nilly they don't have. 

And we haven't even mentioned Federal government income from things like Income Tax.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Yes, and you haven't even addressed the trackside animation game that NSW GOV paid AJC as they were then, more than 160 mil.....that saved NSW....that game is akin to pokies, the deal done with Crown back in the early 90's, Crown guaranteed VRC as they were known then, they would make up the shortfall if TAB revenue should suffer by their introduction of pokies to VIC,..... so on it goes.

NZ needs total restructuring, however as another contributor on here pointed out, NZ doesn't have the same gambling culture as OZ, therefore you are pushing it uphill......but something needs to happen doesn't it? or another 700K Kiwi's will flee the Mother Ship.....sounds a bit like Ireland to me, you are a nation of emigrants, when so many emigrate, nearly 20% it shows something is drastically wrong, it splits families, but rugby is no longer NZ's national game, the new game is called apathy, like it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowley Mile said:

..but something needs to happen doesn't it? or another 700K Kiwi's will flee the Mother Ship.....sounds a bit like Ireland to me, you are a nation of emigrants, when so many emigrate, nearly 20% it shows something is drastically wrong, it splits families, 

Rubbish Rowley, it shows an educated, intelligent, highly skilled group of people whose skills are in high demand around the world.

Look at the Aust govt stats and despite what a lot of Aussies think, the most employed nationality in Aus are NZ born,   you have a group of hard yakka people with skills and a work ethic.

You post smacks of Australia's response to the flood of Kiwis in the 70s-80s fleeing Muldoon, this is no longer the case, they are leaving because of high worldwide demand. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, barryb said:

Rubbish Rowley, it shows an educated, intelligent, highly skilled group of people whose skills are in high demand around the world.

Look at the Aust govt stats and despite what a lot of Aussies think, the most employed nationality in Aus are NZ born,   you have a group of hard yakka people with skills and a work ethic.

You post smacks of Australia's response to the flood of Kiwis in the 70s-80s fleeing Muldoon, this is no longer the case, they are leaving because of high worldwide demand. 

yes, but most young, educated emigrants are leaving to make a truckload of cash from high-income economies/occupations so they can bring it back and buy property/raise kids in the land they prefer to do that in....I know a couple of work in IT /Software/Sales and Marketing, Nz citizens doing the UK/USA experience for 3-5 years, and they'll be back when they made more money than they know what to do with and will have the Kiwi climate/lifestyle to enjoy raising their family in ...Lawks!! they might have enuf $$ to own a horse or two...if there's a viable racing industry here in 5 years time.

5 minutes ago, Weasel said:

yes, but most young, educated emigrants are leaving to make a truckload of cash from high-income economies/occupations so they can bring it back and buy property/raise kids in the land they prefer to do that in....I know a couple of work in IT /Software/Sales and Marketing, Nz citizens doing the UK/USA experience for 3-5 years, and they'll be back when they made more money than they know what to do with and will have the Kiwi climate/lifestyle to enjoy raising their family in ...Lawks!! they might have enuf $$ to own a horse or two...if there's a viable racing industry here in 5 years time.

No issues with that Weasel, they are bringing back the skills learnt overseas which is great. It really comes down to what is important to you in life. 

This has and never will be a high wage economy when we are too far away from markets & our 2 main earners of international money are Dairy Exports and Tourism both of which rely on low wage employees to be efficient & competitive.

• Like 1

On the restructuring side of things. Change is needed but needs to be in consideration of what gives the best options longer term (there may not be a sustainable option left now).

The issues have arisen due to very poor decision making many many years ago where they did things without consideration for local industry participants and long term sustainability. The resulting model is what  their decisions brought about. So damaging is the model, it has shortened the lifespan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, barryb said:

Rubbish Barry, I left NZ in 72, I went to Oz to earn my passage to USA.....I rode a horse for Bunker Hunt, I wrote to him looking for a job when I got fat, his secretary wrote back...God bless her, I had a job, but had to get to NYC.....I met my gal in SYD and that was that....I didn't flee Muldoon, nor did the boys who shared my cabin on the Northern Star.....when we got to SYD we went to a Kiwi Pub, 90% of them were on the dole, living in Bondi and pissed most of the time.....now and for the past thousand years Kiwis make up the most proportionate demographic in Oz prisons, Islanders, Maori and Pakeha...all on Kiwi passports, yes, there are a multitude of Kiwi's doing well, always has been, without the Maori boys the building sites would have collapsed here, they clamoured for overtime, built great homes and put their kids through schools, they would never have achieved that in NZ...never, the stables here are full of Kiwi's earning at least 50K a year, husband and wife teams, just like Ireland, they too make up a huge proportion of stable staff......but without the Indian labour force, most on 457 visa's, stables like Wallers and Weirs would shrink dramatically......it's all about migration, generally people leaving failed countries, leaving sad and distraught families behind, sound familiar? it should.

Oh shit, you are Trump from Race Cafe, should have guessed it.

You have spent far too much time reading propaganda in Aussie newspapers.

I will mark all your posts as read going forward to save me reading your constant NZ bashing.

We are all losers living in a failed country, what a wanker you are.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, barryb said:

Oh shit, you are Trump from Race Cafe, should have guessed it.

You have spent far too much time reading propaganda in Aussie newspapers.

I will mark all your posts as read going forward to save me reading your constant NZ bashing.

We are all losers living in a failed country, what a wanker you are.

we're not a failed country Baz !  NZ is the world champion per capita in both Youth Suicide and Domestic Violence, 3rd in Obesity and 2nd in developed nations for imprisonment.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

Rubbish Barry, I left NZ in 72, I went to Oz to earn my passage to USA.....I rode a horse for Bunker Hunt, I wrote to him looking for a job when I got fat, his secretary wrote back...God bless her, I had a job, but had to get to NYC.....I met my gal in SYD and that was that....I didn't flee Muldoon, nor did the boys who shared my cabin on the Northern Star.....when we got to SYD we went to a Kiwi Pub, 90% of them were on the dole, living in Bondi and pissed most of the time.....now and for the past thousand years Kiwis make up the most proportionate demographic in Oz prisons, Islanders, Maori and Pakeha...all on Kiwi passports, yes, there are a multitude of Kiwi's doing well, always has been, without the Maori boys the building sites would have collapsed here, they clamoured for overtime, built great homes and put their kids through schools, they would never have achieved that in NZ...never, the stables here are full of Kiwi's earning at least 50K a year, husband and wife teams, just like Ireland, they too make up a huge proportion of stable staff......but without the Indian labour force, most on 457 visa's, stables like Wallers and Weirs would shrink dramatically......it's all about migration, generally people leaving failed countries, leaving sad and distraught families behind, sound familiar? it should.

It's no secret that Mrs Rowley is La Zip on the multi coloured flip flop site.

I'm intrigued to know, why one of you joined one site, and one joined the other, and how the decision was made of which one.....flip of a coin?

Hesi you disappoint me, don't ever write to me privately again, if you know who I am then you will know you DID write to me privately. I have tried to point out the foibles NZ Racing owns, I've tried to do a lot of things,  as a business owner, and some our best and most loyal clients are NZ based corporates I have been loyal to the country that spawned me......I'm not ashamed to be more Aussie than Kiwi, I'm proud of it, this country gave me opportunities that NZ never could.  We encountered corruption in many forms Hesi, during our tenure owning and operating a global marketing company, and also our South African and South American based tour operation, however,  no matter how hard we tried in NZ we were confronted by apathy, and yes corruption, mostly moral corruption in both racing and our corporate lives.

We were enveloped by bullying, lying, and the worst of all death and suicide......all family or friends and employees, the suicide shook my wife to her very core, and the attitude of people around us, we couldn't condone the behaviour and voted with our feet, returning to Australia.  While Australia is far from perfect Hesi, it offers succour and safety nets not found in New Zealand. You obviously follow my posts with vigour Hesi, you would notice how vicious I am toward your failed Governments and the deaths, mainly women because of the neglect and ignorance shown by the Government re the Pharmac funding for cancer drugs. 

You may think I overstep the mark Hesi, my anger knows no bounds you see, you don't have a police force Hesi, you have a police service, they are useless, the fit ups, wrongful imprisonments, the racial profiling in our neighbourhood when we lived there. The racism in your fucking country sickens me, the hypocrisy sickens me, and to hold character we left.

Having said all that, and I only say all that because this is my last post on BOAY,  people like BarryB and his ilk typify the people we encountered in everyday life, then there are the people who train our horses and care for our mares over there, they are the salt of the earth. They don't have options like I do, they, due to family and possible financial restraints are tied to NZ probably for ever. I know one of our trainers read and contribute to this site, we communicate often, we agree on most things, and differ on few, and that's what makes the world go around. We left our horses behind in NZ, we lived in the vain hope that change would come, we now know that's not feasible or doable in a country with a mindset and culture such as yours......

Our horses are youngsters, some have shown promise, one, considerable promise, they will do their future racing in Australia, unlike the majority we do not sell our horses to Asia, in all conscience we could never see the lovely animals we bred live their life in an Asian jurisdiction, we don't covert financial gain as the benchmark for success. I'll clarify the Asian criticism, I lived and spent considerable time there, I traded horses when I was much younger, I deeply regret doing so, I saw the lives they led, I know what fate held in store for them, I now believe in Karma, your reap what you sow.

New Zealand bashing Hesi, if you ever get to read the story of our life you may think differently.  I cannot speak for La Zip Hesi, suffice to say, La Zip as a winner of the highest accolade in International Tourism attempted to create a small tourism operation in our region, it would have provided employment and revenue for local business and suppliers, she was confronted by scepticism, jealousy, and the Government departments that should have stood up to the plate circled the wagons as they,  mistakingly, feared for their very existence. What should have been a wonderful opportunity for local business was slaughtered by protectionism....and that typiied behaviour in most industries in New Zealand. The potential was amazing, now it's lost and gone forever, what a tragic shame. La Zip was approached a while back by Qantas here in Australia to establish their ground handling operations when they launched their South American operations through firstly Buenos Aires, and then Santiago, our partners became Qantas's partners, that's the level of her profile and expertise, intimidation it appears for small town New Zealand....my defence is over, you can read into that what you will.

I have enjoyed my time on here mostly, as we have now dispersed our New Zealand racing interests the moral thing for us to do is leave, there is no use or justification in kicking a man on the ground,  there is no use us commenting on things that now don't concern us, I would have loved nothing more than to travel across to watch our horses race, and race for decent prizemoney, to race in a country that shows respect to it's owners, breeders, punters and grass roots workers, it doesn't, and therefore only the people can change that. We don't live there, so we can't contribute anymore, financially, emotionally, and morally, so it's good night from her and goodnight from me.

I would like to thank Chief Stipe though, in some small way I think CS went through a parallel universe when he had tenure 'over there'...and is to be congratulated for voting with his feet and starting a competitor.

To all your good buggers, I wish you well in life and health, to the others, God bless and help you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

gee rowley without the maori boys on building sites they would collapse i think thats a bit far fetched

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Hesi you disappoint me, don't ever write to me privately again, if you know who I am then you will know you DID write to me privately. I have tried to point out the foibles NZ Racing owns, I've tried to do a lot of things,  as a business owner, and some our best and most loyal clients are NZ based corporates I have been loyal to the country that spawned me......I'm not ashamed to be more Aussie than Kiwi, I'm proud of it, this country gave me opportunities that NZ never could.  We encountered corruption in many forms Hesi, during our tenure owning and operating a global marketing company, and also our South African and South American based tour operation, however,  no matter how hard we tried in NZ we were confronted by apathy, and yes corruption, mostly moral corruption in both racing and our corporate lives.

We were enveloped by bullying, lying, and the worst of all death and suicide......all family or friends and employees, the suicide shook my wife to her very core, and the attitude of people around us, we couldn't condone the behaviour and voted with our feet, returning to Australia.  While Australia is far from perfect Hesi, it offers succour and safety nets not found in New Zealand. You obviously follow my posts with vigour Hesi, you would notice how vicious I am toward your failed Governments and the deaths, mainly women because of the neglect and ignorance shown by the Government re the Pharmac funding for cancer drugs. 

You may think I overstep the mark Hesi, my anger knows no bounds you see, you don't have a police force Hesi, you have a police service, they are useless, the fit ups, wrongful imprisonments, the racial profiling in our neighbourhood when we lived there. The racism in your fucking country sickens me, the hypocrisy sickens me, and to hold character we left.

Having said all that, and I only say all that because this is my last post on BOAY,  people like BarryB and his ilk typify the people we encountered in everyday life, then there are the people who train our horses and care for our mares over there, they are the salt of the earth. They don't have options like I do, they, due to family and possible financial restraints are tied to NZ probably for ever. I know one of our trainers read and contribute to this site, we communicate often, we agree on most things, and differ on few, and that's what makes the world go around. We left our horses behind in NZ, we lived in the vain hope that change would come, we now know that's not feasible or doable in a country with a mindset and culture such as yours......

Our horses are youngsters, some have shown promise, one, considerable promise, they will do their future racing in Australia, unlike the majority we do not sell our horses to Asia, in all conscience we could never see the lovely animals we bred live their life in an Asian jurisdiction, we don't covert financial gain as the benchmark for success. I'll clarify the Asian criticism, I lived and spent considerable time there, I traded horses when I was much younger, I deeply regret doing so, I saw the lives they led, I know what fate held in store for them, I now believe in Karma, your reap what you sow.

New Zealand bashing Hesi, if you ever get to read the story of our life you may think differently.  I cannot speak for La Zip Hesi, suffice to say, La Zip as a winner of the highest accolade in International Tourism attempted to create a small tourism operation in our region, it would have provided employment and revenue for local business and suppliers, she was confronted by scepticism, jealousy, and the Government departments that should have stood up to the plate circled the wagons as they,  mistakingly, feared for their very existence. What should have been a wonderful opportunity for local business was slaughtered by protectionism....and that typiied behaviour in most industries in New Zealand. The potential was amazing, now it's lost and gone forever, what a tragic shame. La Zip was approached a while back by Qantas here in Australia to establish their ground handling operations when they launched their South American operations through firstly Buenos Aires, and then Santiago, our partners became Qantas's partners, that's the level of her profile and expertise, intimidation it appears for small town New Zealand....my defence is over, you can read into that what you will.

I have enjoyed my time on here mostly, as we have now dispersed our New Zealand racing interests the moral thing for us to do is leave, there is no use or justification in kicking a man on the ground,  there is no use us commenting on things that now don't concern us, I would have loved nothing more than to travel across to watch our horses race, and race for decent prizemoney, to race in a country that shows respect to it's owners, breeders, punters and grass roots workers, it doesn't, and therefore only the people can change that. We don't live there, so we can't contribute anymore, financially, emotionally, and morally, so it's good night from her and goodnight from me.

I would like to thank Chief Stipe though, in some small way I think CS went through a parallel universe when he had tenure 'over there'...and is to be congratulated for voting with his feet and starting a competitor.

To all your good buggers, I wish you well in life and health, to the others, God bless and help you.

??

Just asked the below, nothing else

"I'm intrigued to know, why one of you joined one site, and one joined the other, and how the decision was made of which one.....flip of a coin?"