Bit Of A Yarn

DRONGOS

nod

I've asked this question before but why the inconsistency in the timing of posting Fixed Odds for race meetings.  It can be anywhere between 1 and 4 days!

Is it really that hard to set a book once the fields have been declared?

PS:  no point mentioning the apprentice claims keep disappearing!!  Surely it can't be that hard to fix!

Well it was a very busy day at the Coalface folks...

We all have families and lives to live as well as the job....

All staff are working 100 mph and dozens of jobs to do and buttons to push..

After days of humid ,hot weather and a lot of rain during the night things were changing quickly...well nigh impossible to get an exact reading.

No sooner had the 'committee 'met and decided on the accurate reading that the hot searing sun had again made an impact and influenced another meeting of heads ...all the little helpers raced around the track testing and retesting ,checking their numbers etc.

Decision made , commentatator told to annouce ,website buttons pushed and more heat and drying and as the divots of track replaced .....everything again changed. Repeat !

Meanwhile the condition of how the track was playing was obvious to all those there live or watching on TV , and times and sectionals were regularly given. Many received their sectionals on their phones/tablets etc.

Track improving all the time , overall it played well ,very well .....some came out wide to win ,some stuck to rail cos it played well too while Waitak charged thru the middle.

The odd horse who likes it HARD was inconvenienced and chopped and changed strides but overall most were happy...

Impossible to please everyone but in view of the weather extremes during the previous 24 hours , it was a brilliant day overall .

IMO

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

After days of humid ,hot weather and a lot of rain during the night things were changing quickly...well nigh impossible to get an exact reading.

No sooner had the 'committee 'met and decided on the accurate reading that the hot searing sun had again made an impact and influenced another meeting of heads ...all the little helpers raced around the track testing and retesting ,checking their numbers etc.

Decision made , commentatator told to annouce ,website buttons pushed and more heat and drying and as the divots of track replaced .....everything again changed. Repeat !

Meanwhile the condition of how the track was playing was obvious to all those there live or watching on TV , and times and sectionals were regularly given. Many received their sectionals on their phones/tablets etc.

Track improving all the time , overall it played well ,very well .....some came out wide to win ,some stuck to rail cos it played well too while Waitak charged thru the middle.

The odd horse who likes it HARD was inconvenienced and chopped and changed strides but overall most were happy...

Impossible to please everyone but in view of the weather extremes during the previous 24 hours , it was a brilliant day overall .

IMO

Very positive view of the day.  I think the sooner that get back to Ellerslie the better though.  Not sure the Counties Track can hold up much longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

IMO

Was there much of a crowd there? There didn't seem to be big numbers along the rails like at Kurow for instance, although they may have been inside in the bars.

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Very positive view of the day.  I think the sooner that get back to Ellerslie the better though.  Not sure the Counties Track can hold up much longer.

Well Ellerslie was not available for yesterday so they had to make do !

All things considered they have handled the transition period pretty well between Puke and Te Rapa.

As for the track ,considering the weather , it has performed  very well IMO.

Certainly in view of the rain ,times been good and cutting out/divots minimal.

And crucially...and I stand back cos some on here will be drawing up lists that include  the Foxtons , Beaumonts, Tapanuis, Avondales etc etc ....Pukekohe was recently named as the second best track in NZ !

25 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Well Ellerslie was not available for yesterday so they had to make do !

We all know that.  One of the advantages of not closing down good race tracks.  Although Counties will be forever a work in progress.  Will the AJC help fund further development of it?  They'll need something to stand in when the regular maintenance work is done for the StrathAyr.

27 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

All things considered they have handled the transition period pretty well between Puke and Te Rapa.

Yes but at the expense of those two tracks.  Te Rapa is very tired turf and I doubt you can put anymore sand in it.  When they upgrade I hope the AJC returns the favour.

28 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

And crucially...and I stand back cos some on here will be drawing up lists that include  the Foxtons , Beaumonts, Tapanuis, Avondales etc etc ....Pukekohe was recently named as the second best track in NZ !

By whom?  The committee in the Presidents room after the last?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

We all know that.  One of the advantages of not closing down good race tracks.  Although Counties will be forever a work in progress.  Will the AJC help fund further development of it?  They'll need something to stand in when the regular maintenance work is done for the StrathAyr.

Yes but at the expense of those two tracks.  Te Rapa is very tired turf and I doubt you can put anymore sand in it.  When they upgrade I hope the AJC returns the favour.

By whom?  The committee in the Presidents room after the last?

Oh Chief , don't be such a grump !

Further investment will be put into these tracks that are seen as part of the future of NZ Racing .

Out of interest .....what is your area of 'residence' and or racing participation.

Judging by the stories from 50 yrs ago it must be the South Island...possibly the Coast , along with the Molloys, Guerins etc ?

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Will it?  Which ones?  How will they be chosen?  What criteria will be used?

Maybe one day when we are snowed in by a blizzard or pandemic ,I'll talk you thru it.

Not today while I'm watching the Tennis on TV , a few races and enjoying a Public Holiday......I get double time for my 'advice' on a holiday plus day in Lieu !

35 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Maybe one day when we are snowed in by a blizzard or pandemic ,I'll talk you thru it.

Don't bother.  If it is the same approach that decided Counties was the second best racetrack in NZ you'd be wasting both our time.

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

Was there much of a crowd there? There didn't seem to be big numbers along the rails like at Kurow for instance, although they may have been inside in the bars.

HNY Doomed , are you a statistics gatherer for Statistics NZ or something similar.

You often concerned about crowd numbers...a good crowd ,a great crowd etc

For a man who regularly states he has lost interest in NZ Racing this seems odd.

What is your interest in this , along with field size [ you will be spitting tacks today with these] , ballots in South Island races ,programming ,calendar , closed tracks .

The expert Harness poster on this site , a Brodie , says in Racing the BIG two crucial factors/ingredients are OWNERS and PUNTERS. Probably he correct on this ,crowd size doesn't feature.

Why ??......probably cos often the crowd are there for a picnic [BYO] , to amuse the kids for day with lolly scramble or bouncy castle plus there is nothing to do for the day in the town...if it a rural venue it is safe too cos local motels not housing dicey types with ankle bracelets.

Of course on the big Cup days when the crowds with money do flock the cynics say it for the Social side of it...all partly true. Watching the tennis now , a good crowd in comfortable seats , sipping wine and showing their style...its the place to be seen ! Meanwhile at Wairarapa gallops a good crowd [ a lot of kids] lining the fence watching 4 x horses race while waiting for the next fun event for them. Six deep for 150 metres = 900 kids plus parents a good crowd for cross-code meeting on Public Holiday. I bet those at tennis never watch womens tennis live in other 51 weeks !

Brilliant planning by NZTR etc to have these 'picnic' meetings on at this time of year...Kurow ,Westport , Kumara etc ...iconic meetings steeped in tradition. IThen into the Nelson circuit for Harness ,plus Cromwell. Omakau looked great today .Even dozens of Campervans. My favourite holiday destinations all featuring.

Back to Pukekohe....apparently the budgeted crowd but not Ellerslie ...at an estimate a few thousand.

But an excellent days racing and at last the weather came right...actually the first boating and beach day of the Summer so unlikely to get much of walk up crowd particularly when most in Auckland/Waikato have never been to Puke , never likely to and don't even know where it is.

From memory the ARC has about 1500 members , some went , plenty of Owners there and families of the participants....Railway was a good field , a few races typically a little skinny but assume betting good with plenty of betting options and advertising by TAB. So Punters looked after, like the guy with the $7 bet one win sort of over $1 mill !

Owners and trainers seem very upbeat about the Stakes increases and opportunities , especially the Ellerslie reopening.

Very little negativity about ,other than online !

What meetings have you attended live ,do you attend and what Clubs do you support other than Timaru who I think have just been unlucky in their ranking. When decisions made to close clubs some will be lucky ,some will be unlucky. Too many had both poor tracks and facilities . Neglected !

Many keyboard warriors like to hide their identity , but I think there no worries with telling us your region and involvement.

Next meeting I attend I'll count the crowd for you , if it important ! Yesterday free to enter etc so not easy !

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

When decisions made to close clubs some will be lucky ,some will be unlucky.

Why should it have anything to do with luck?

12 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Too many had both poor tracks and facilities .

Then why close good tracks?  

Watching the tennis now , a good crowd in comfortable seats , sipping wine and showing their style...its the place to be seen ! '😁

Says it all really about over paid ,under performing sinecures that have plagued NZ Racing for ..decades.

'Many keyboard warriors like to hide their identity '=don't they...just!🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

HNY Doomed , are you a statistics gatherer for Statistics NZ or something similar.

For a man who regularly states he has lost interest in NZ Racing this seems odd.

What is your interest in this , along with field size [ you will be spitting tacks today with these] , ballots in South Island races ,programming ,calendar , closed tracks .

The expert Harness poster on this site , a Brodie , says in Racing the BIG two crucial factors/ingredients are OWNERS and PUNTERS. Probably he correct on this ,crowd size doesn't feature.

Why ??......probably cos often the crowd are there for a picnic [BYO] , to amuse the kids for day with lolly scramble or bouncy castle plus there is nothing to do for the day in the town...if it a rural venue it is safe too cos local motels not housing dicey types with ankle bracelets.

Of course on the big Cup days when the crowds with money do flock the cynics say it for the Social side of it...all partly true. Watching the tennis now , a good crowd in comfortable seats , sipping wine and showing their style...its the place to be seen ! Meanwhile at Wairarapa gallops a good crowd [ a lot of kids] lining the fence watching 4 x horses race while waiting for the next fun event for them. Six deep for 150 metres = 900 kids plus parents a good crowd for cross-code meeting on Public Holiday. I bet those at tennis never watch womens tennis live in other 51 weeks !

Brilliant planning by NZTR etc to have these 'picnic' meetings on at this time of year...Kurow ,Westport , Kumara etc ...iconic meetings steeped in tradition. IThen into the Nelson circuit for Harness ,plus Cromwell. Omakau looked great today .Even dozens of Campervans. My favourite holiday destinations all featuring.

Back to Pukekohe....apparently the budgeted crowd but not Ellerslie ...at an estimate a few thousand.

But an excellent days racing and at last the weather came right...actually the first boating and beach day of the Summer so unlikely to get much of walk up crowd particularly when most in Auckland/Waikato have never been to Puke , never likely to and don't even know where it is.

From memory the ARC has about 1500 members , some went , plenty of Owners there and families of the participants....Railway was a good field , a few races typically a little skinny but assume betting good with plenty of betting options and advertising by TAB. So Punters looked after, like the guy with the $7 bet one win sort of over $1 mill !

Owners and trainers seem very upbeat about the Stakes increases and opportunities , especially the Ellerslie reopening.

What meetings have you attended live ,do you attend and what Clubs do you support other than Timaru who I think have just been unlucky in their ranking. When decisions made to close clubs some will be lucky ,some will be unlucky. Too many had both poor tracks and facilities . Neglected !

Many keyboard warriors like to hide their identity , but I think there no worries with telling us your region and involvement.

Next meeting I attend I'll count the crowd for you , if it important ! Yesterday free to enter etc so not easy !

Goodness, I'm a bit worried I might have a stalker. I should be pleased at least someone is reading my humble contributions.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Wow…. That’s a long post mainly about nothing. 
Is this actually a piss take…. surely somebody representing the TAB is on here called TAB For Ever??? FFS…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Wow…. That’s a long post mainly about nothing. 
Is this actually a piss take…. surely somebody representing the TAB is on here called TAB For Ever??? FFS…

Gee thanks for reading it....it took a few games of Womens tennis to complete and I wanted to cover all the possible Q/A's that may emerge.

I've only been let out for the weekend and Public holidays , really lucky that I was hired for security of the stabling area.

Are you Newmarket cos of the Mall or the famous Scottish Horse training area .

5 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Gee thanks for reading it....it took a few games of Womens tennis to complete and I wanted to cover all the possible Q/A's that may emerge.

I've only been let out for the weekend and Public holidays , really lucky that I was hired for security of the stabling area.

Are you Newmarket cos of the Mall or the famous Scottish Horse training area .

Scottish?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to wonder just how long 'Tab for Ever"  has been around racing generally.   Referring to paid holidays and lieu days when the rest of the industry is head down, arse up, is a bit tasteless for starters.

To think that holiday racing is 'brilliant planning ' by NZTR is one of the silliest comments I've seen here.  The holiday dates have SFA to do with the current NZTR, rather the old club system from days long gone.  When the climate and holiday periods were aligned, as best as could be, with where the crowds were, and where conditions might suit horse racing.  This effing lot - the 'brilliant' ones - are, instead, hellbent on shutting down country circuits.   One of the most successful and enjoyable ones, the Gisborne-Wairoa meetings, now replaced by a boring day at Hastings.  Blenheim, nice track, good people - just doesn't fit the agenda either.   And the West Coast circuit, on the skids because of an arbitrary decision to deny Westland a day at their own track; whatever reason given was the typical b/s trotted out by these people.  The club had the financial resources as well as community support to make any alterations deemed necessary from their OWN funds, no need to call on the industry like the bigger bloodsuckers do.  So Greymouth kindly ran an extra day for Westland.  But when the Westland committee resisted the expectation that the property value be vested in NZTR, and sold it back to the community, payback. No further date, so circuit reduced to three days squashed into a small window.  Uneconomic for trainers from afar.   Trainers and owners who have supported the clubs for decades, now not coming.  The astonishing antics of an RIB official last year to abandon Reefton...the writing is on the wall.

Luck ?  the only need for a club to shut up shop or shift to another track should be for economic reasons, or for lack of interest from stakeholders- which are both inter-related. 

Luck has eff all to do with the funding restrictions applied to these small clubs for decades.  No wonder some of them had run-down facilities.  Neglected ?  They can't suck off the funding tit of NZTR like their bigger brothers can.  

As for Newmarket - the historic, chalky ground which not only hosts racing [ and has done from the time of King James ] but some amazing training facilities too, and a jockey school to boot - is actually in Suffolk.   Which is, FYI, in England.

• Like 6
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You're on fire @Freda - the post of the year.

Couldn't have said it better myself, tired of the nonsense from these brainwashed fools like T4eva, the racing industry will soon pay the ultimate price because of ignorant views like this.

Every year that goes by the Summer racing gets worse and worse and every year the only ones put up as successful are the country clubs giving the people what they want, unfortunately we are doomed with the decisions that have been made.

• Like 2