Bit Of A Yarn

The good ole days come back to Reefton.

Chief Stipe

On 4/01/2024 at 2:38 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Oncourse turnover is less relevant nowadays however having people oncourse experiencing racing first hand and up close is very important.

I agree that is the case with respect NZTAB's operation and the NZTR funding from it. However, for clubs it's very important, especially a club like Kumara. The gate and their 8% of oncourse turnover keep them afloat.

7 minutes ago, curious said:

The gate and their 8% of oncourse turnover keep them afloat.

I wasn't including gate takings as part of oncourse turnover.  With regard to the 8% that does that include bets made oncourse through the mobile app?

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I wasn't including gate takings as part of oncourse turnover.  With regard to the 8% that does that include bets made oncourse through the mobile app?

Yes. I think it has for some time.

And sorry, it's 9.5% and is done by geolocation, not necessarily the app.

Draft Funding Policy for the 2022/2023 Season 25
17. On-course commission, including TAB NZ digital turnover and minimums
A commission of 9.5% will be paid on total on-course turnover (all totalisator racing and FOB racing
turnover) generated at all meetings.
In addition, this commission payment will include all racing turnover placed with TAB NZ on digital devices
that are located on-course during a raceday. TAB NZ are able to geolocate the majority of this turnover
and will provide a report to NZTR detailing the relevant turnover on which commission will be paid.

Edited by curious

Sorry again. The above is out of date. It's 10% oncourse through tellers. !2.5% through digital devices.

A commission of 10% will be paid on total On-course turnover (all totalisator racing and FOB racing
turnover) generated through on-course terminals at all meetings.
A commission of 12.5% will be paid on all racing turnover placed with TAB NZ on digital devices that are
located on-course during a raceday.

Edited by curious

6 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes. I think it has for some time.

And sorry, it's 9.5% and is done by geolocation, not necessarily the app.

Draft Funding Policy for the 2022/2023 Season 25
A commission of 9.5% will be paid on total on-course turnover (all totalisator racing and FOB racing
turnover) generated at all meetings.
In addition, this commission payment will include all racing turnover placed with TAB NZ on digital devices
that are located on-course during a raceday. TAB NZ are able to geolocate the majority of this turnover
and will provide a report to NZTR detailing the relevant turnover on which commission will be paid.

Which would make it even more important for a Club like Motukarara to have WiFi access oncourse!  (A discussion ongoing on the Harness Forum).

1 hour ago, curious said:

I agree that is the case with respect NZTAB's operation and the NZTR funding from it. However, for clubs it's very important, especially a club like Kumara. The gate and their 8% of oncourse turnover keep them afloat.

If they are getting $20 a pop through the gate & a crowd of 6k, I hardly think they'd be too worried about the oncourse turnover. Be interesting to see what they gate would be like in the middle of winter?

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

If they are getting $20 a pop through the gate & a crowd of 6k, I hardly think they'd be too worried about the oncourse turnover. Be interesting to see what they gate would be like in the middle of winter?

I thought the gate was $15? Haven't seen or heard what the did oncourse (Reefton might know, also maybe the gate), but say it was 250-300k I'm pretty sure they'd be worried about that at 10-12.5%

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, curious said:

I thought the gate was $15? Haven't seen or heard what the did oncourse (Reefton might know, also maybe the gate), but say it was 250-300k I'm pretty sure they'd be worried about that at 10-12.5%

I doubt they'd be one bit worried about it, i.e. do something to significantly increase it. The gate is the gold for them no doubt about that.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

So you're just Anti-racing fullstop?  Given you appear to not consider Kumara yesterday to have been a success.

Hardly.

But the chances of that meeting having a significant impact upon a young person getting into the sport are less than negligible.

51 minutes ago, curious said:

It was $20 if you pitched up at the gate.  $15 if you pre-booked online.

Yep wouldn't be many small Clubs that would thumb their noses at $30k.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

It was $20 if you pitched up at the gate.  $15 if you pre-booked online.

Yep wouldn't be many small Clubs that would thumb their noses at $30k.

It's 10% of their gross revenue from the meeting ... and would often make the difference between profit and loss for the year.

Edited by curious

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Hardly.

But the chances of that meeting having a significant impact upon a young person getting into the sport are less than negligible.

With that sort of attitude you could get a well paid job at NZTR.

Well as a lad growing up on the West Coast that meeting and the one at Westland got me interested in the game.  I must say a lot of my mates as well.

8 minutes ago, Huey said:

Hardly.

What young people's experiences do you think are stronger influences to get them in the game then?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, curious said:

What young people's experiences do you think are stronger influences to get them in the game then?

Stables experiences are more likely to get a young person involved, something I understand isn't possible at Kumara?

32 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

With that sort of attitude you could get a well paid job at NZTR.

Well as a lad growing up on the West Coast that meeting and the one at Westland got me interested in the game.  I must say a lot of my mates as well.

That's back in the day when was some sort of pattern to it all, not the case now , not by a long shot.

Kumara for the locals then 12 months for the next meeting , not even trial,jumpouts or trackwork there.

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

Kumara for the locals then 12 months for the next meeting , not even trial,jumpouts or trackwork there.

When were there ever regular trials, jump outs or trackwork on any of the West Coast tracks?  I don't recall going to any.

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

And don't get me wrong, I love a good front runner. I used to love Our Boyfriend and Vo Rouge. But I used to love them leading all the way at Riccarton and Flemington. 

Probably my favourite win of all time was CWJs front running ride on Domino to win the Oaks.

And who can forget Pride of Jenni's two wins over Cup week at Flemington.

Our boyfriend won a nz cup years back, ridden by Mark Barnsley maybe

12 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

When were there ever regular trials, jump outs or trackwork on any of the West Coast tracks?  I don't recall going to any.

I do recall trials at reefton and greymouth jumpouts, back in the day,did struggle with rider numbers, some times track riders had to help out, wouldn't get away with it these days.