Bit Of A Yarn

The good ole days come back to Reefton.

Chief Stipe

11 minutes ago, Shad said:

The same as most years,all those bus loads trek in for the yearly sojourn, 20$ to get in fairly steep these says, may put a few off, last time I was there got in the gate to see first race, then they had the helicopter out trying to dry the track, I think that was the first ever abandoned meetings, been a few since, looks like a good day in the sun today, roll on reefton tuesday 

Incredible when you think about it, $20 to get into Kumara because there is so much demand, free entry at Auckland on new years day because no one is all that interested.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Incredible when you think about it, $20 to get into Kumara because there is so much demand, free entry at Auckland on new years day because no one is all that interested.

The ole country racing v metropolitan, only ever one winner in this battle, the iconic nuggets on offer, stake not the highest in the country, but the passion and the crowd and turnover certainly let you know which racing they love, saddest part is they seem intent only removing the highly successful meetings. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Shad said:

last time I was there got in the gate to see first race, then they had the helicopter out trying to dry the track, I think that was the first ever abandoned meetings, been a few since, looks like a good day in the sun today, roll on reefton tuesday 

Was that 2001? Only time I ever took a horse there. There were two helicopters but it was a hopeless task. I think they'd spread coal dust on the track. A bit of rain on that and it was a skating rink.

7 minutes ago, curious said:

Was that 2001? Only time I ever took a horse there. There were two helicopters but it was a hopeless task. I think they'd spread coal dust on the track. A bit of rain on that and it was a skating rink.

Two helicopters in the centre of the track today...even the big punters fly to Kumara!

Look at the crowd - the fence is lined up with punters halfway around the track!  See how close the crowd is at the start?  Close to the action!  A lot more exciting than trying to watch your horse at Trentham through a pile of rubble!

screenshot-www.tab.co.nz-2024.01.06-15_36_18.png

screenshot-www.tab.co.nz-2024.01.06-15_36_02.png

screenshot-www.tab.co.nz-2024.01.06-15_33_13.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes I do believe it was that year, first failure of the track upgrade, and been a few more since, the old kumara was always the same, wouldn't matter if they'd had a month of fine or rain, track always was safe and raced the same, nowadays very weather dependant,can remember the old days with the like of colfix, tarrion, think tarrion won a nuggets, dead heaters accelerate and frontline both trained by Jimmy lalor, both out of same mare, even the local mare eurythmics won a few races but not a nuggets, Mrs Topliss trained a couple battlers highly favored and trabis, I was lead to believe the track was locked up bar race day, and she had to take her team to omoto to gallop.The good old days, ya never left your gumboots at home.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shad said:

That's all part of the draw card, the Alice  springs of new Zealand racing.

Hardly a comparison Alice Springs to Kumara.  

Alice Springs is over 1200 km from the nearest City of any size.

Kumara is 220 km from Christchurch.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Hardly a comparison Alice Springs to Kumara.  

Alice Springs is over 1200 km from the nearest City of any size.

Kumara is 220 km from Christchurch.

Tongue n cheek comment, not to be taken literally, in saying that kumara is in the middle of nowhere, blink and you'll miss the track driving through. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Huge crowd at Kumara!!  The fields are better for wagering than Hastings.  Even before scratchings Kumara had larger fields.

It was a glorious day, just a wee breeze which stopped it being oppressively hot although it was still warm.   Crowd happy and buzzing, there were so many campervans out the back that it was nearly another village!

We had to leave after R4 but there were still people coming in the gate.

23 minutes ago, Freda said:

It was a glorious day, just a wee breeze which stopped it being oppressively hot although it was still warm.   Crowd happy and buzzing, there were so many campervans out the back that it was nearly another village!

We had to leave after R4 but there were still people coming in the gate.

Didn't see Sharrock (B.) or George (C.) there did you Freda?

29 minutes ago, Muzza said:

Didn't see Sharrock (B.) or George (C.) there did you Freda?

Ah...no.   I'm told Balcombe might be putting in an appearance at Reefton, though.

And there was a new, official-looking bloke whom I haven't seen before deep in conversation with an RIB employee. 

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

Ah...no.   I'm told Balcombe might be putting in an appearance at Reefton, though.

And there was a new, official-looking bloke whom I haven't seen before deep in conversation with an RIB employee. 

Hmm. these new official looking blokes scare me. Probably one of Mckenzie's spies.

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

I thought Robbie Patterson and Kylie Williams both spoke very well on TV after the Nuggets. It must be very beneficial for trainers and jockeys to impress on TV.

Was a great interview with the both of them, and the plug  Mr Patterson gave for the westcoast circuit will certainly get the others thinking about coming, that sort of advertising is gold to be fair, especially the struggles these small very successful meetings that are battling the higher authority to survive, grassroots racing at it's best, on to reefton, let's all hope they have a good day in the sun.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shad said:

Was a great interview with the both of them, and the plug  Mr Patterson gave for the westcoast circuit will certainly get the others thinking about coming, that sort of advertising is gold to be fair, especially the struggles these small very successful meetings that are battling the higher authority to survive, grassroots racing at it's best, on to reefton, let's all hope they have a good day in the sun.

Didn't hear the interview but it would be nice if more people would praise the grassroots. People should have a choice hot dog and beer or champagne and caviar. Don't tell them what they should have,

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

10 hours ago, Newmarket said:

You’re a funny man, well I assume a man. Paint chipped off seats and bird poo…. poor state of toilets??? Listen to yourself, recently at Motukarara they had many new portaloos avail, even emptied half way thru day. Yes, facility’s are outdated but that never bothered the 1000s that turned up. 

I can assume that you are a white collar type…. No doubt attending tennis events in posh areas with your similar young mates. Funny you mentioned getting a $10 free bet for answering questions on day???I thought you work for the TAB??? I smell a RAT

Don't be a dickhead Newmarket ...is that the Newmarket mall or Newmarket the horse nursery in Scotland.......sad I have to waste my daily post on you being immature trying to catch me out.

My posts are solely about my personal experiences with a little bit of opinion based on those experiences. I said I got involved in the TAB survey ,I was assisting some newcomers with the survey and gave them a prompt by talking about the facilities and they mentioned the things I mentioned. So no rat to smell.

Well today was a great day for Iconic day at Kumara...one of the finest examples of Holiday picnic racing. This day has had its challenges over the years and have had to work hard to remain on Calendar .Back in the 19700's !980's it was rumoured even Prime Minister Rob Muldoon had to step in to save West Coast racing.     And tho not given credit ,it great the TAB/NZTR/Messara have recognised the uniqueness of the day and allowed it to continue. Could they run two days ,close together ?.Obviously TOTE staff are shipped in for day and North Island guests often flown down ,George Simon ,the odd Northern jockey etc can remember Gary Grylls flying down with a bunch some years ago. NZTR/TAB have advertised it widely and already there have been plenty of interviews /videos on line etc.

IMO the crowd looked smaller than prevoius years , not so packed around birdcage /stand area.. I saw 6000 mentioned ...seems a lot ,maybe a lot of kids. $15 to get in ,Doomed praises this ,normally this is resented ! Gate-takings should be good then.

Past two years the Gate got $33k and $24 k...possibly went from $10 to $15 entry to cover extra security needed. Maybe bit of leakage...@ $15 about 2300 paid lasy ear..lot of kids and vendors !

I note less races , this year 8 ,previous 9 and 10.And horses 69 raced compared with 86 and 94. 

But 3 and 4 horse races would have the same attendance...its ICONIC day ....Well done Kumara.

I see those with a chip on shoulder and maybe a complex are comparing numbers with Hawkes Bay and Auckland.....good for a giggle , even Reefton beat Ellerslie in recent times with on-course turnover and attendance...true they did.

But both bigger meetings , average higher over all average turnover ......If Kumara Turnover is Amazing the other two miust be  bloody amazing...Hawkes bay averages more than Kumara's one magical day over 11 or 12 meetings ,while ARC averages more over 20 to 25 meetings. [15 last year] But of course Kumara has ZERO horse population and population of about 180 people Auckland has about !.5 million.

When Auckland has a huge day at races we tisk about the crowd who just goes for  the piss-up ,girls and posing like at the tennis/polo or the Fashion parade.

Great to see Kumara have Fashions in the Field , games for Children and Band/music.....But the people go for the HORSES...yay !

And Mick Guerin reminded everybody about the racing legends to come out of the Coast...HIMSELF of course ,Leo , Skelton Bros , Pongia boys... I could add the Lalors , Kevin Bell and Mrs Wildbore and Phil Jones !

A great day for the Coast ! 

• Haha 1

It is certainly interesting how the picnic locations are now all of a sudden getting high praise from everyone, especially those on trackside.

I'm all for the picnic locations and the Kumara crowd looks great & can be replicated at other venues, but the track & the racing there looks awful(jump & run or no hope) & I think Kumara get away with it because of the novelty gimmicky factor i.e. Nuggets, in the middle of no where , I'm guessing byo etc.

8 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

But both bigger meetings , average higher over all average turnover ......If Kumara Turnover is Amazing the other two miust be  bloody amazing...Hawkes bay averages more than Kumara's one magical day over 11 or 12 meetings ,while ARC averages more over 20 to 25 meetings. [15 last year] But of course Kumara has ZERO horse population and population of about 180 people Auckland has about !.5 million.

Do you know what the word average means?

1 hour ago, curious said:

Did you not watch the Nuggets?

Yeah about the only race of the day where the jump & run wasn't at play, but clearly the play in the nuggets was set up for the winner.