Bit Of A Yarn

The good ole days come back to Reefton.

Chief Stipe

19 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Don't be a dickhead Newmarket ...is that the Newmarket mall or Newmarket the horse nursery in Scotland.......sad I have to waste my daily post on you being immature trying to catch me out.

My posts are solely about my personal experiences with a little bit of opinion based on those experiences. I said I got involved in the TAB survey ,I was assisting some newcomers with the survey and gave them a prompt by talking about the facilities and they mentioned the things I mentioned. So no rat to smell.

Well today was a great day for Iconic day at Kumara...one of the finest examples of Holiday picnic racing. This day has had its challenges over the years and have had to work hard to remain on Calendar .Back in the 19700's !980's it was rumoured even Prime Minister Rob Muldoon had to step in to save West Coast racing.     And tho not given credit ,it great the TAB/NZTR/Messara have recognised the uniqueness of the day and allowed it to continue. Could they run two days ,close together ?.Obviously TOTE staff are shipped in for day and North Island guests often flown down ,George Simon ,the odd Northern jockey etc can remember Gary Grylls flying down with a bunch some years ago. NZTR/TAB have advertised it widely and already there have been plenty of interviews /videos on line etc.

IMO the crowd looked smaller than prevoius years , not so packed around birdcage /stand area.. I saw 6000 mentioned ...seems a lot ,maybe a lot of kids. $15 to get in ,Doomed praises this ,normally this is resented ! Gate-takings should be good then.

Past two years the Gate got $33k and $24 k...possibly went from $10 to $15 entry to cover extra security needed. Maybe bit of leakage...@ $15 about 2300 paid lasy ear..lot of kids and vendors !

I note less races , this year 8 ,previous 9 and 10.And horses 69 raced compared with 86 and 94. 

But 3 and 4 horse races would have the same attendance...its ICONIC day ....Well done Kumara.

I see those with a chip on shoulder and maybe a complex are comparing numbers with Hawkes Bay and Auckland.....good for a giggle , even Reefton beat Ellerslie in recent times with on-course turnover and attendance...true they did.

But both bigger meetings , average higher over all average turnover ......If Kumara Turnover is Amazing the other two miust be  bloody amazing...Hawkes bay averages more than Kumara's one magical day over 11 or 12 meetings ,while ARC averages more over 20 to 25 meetings. [15 last year] But of course Kumara has ZERO horse population and population of about 180 people Auckland has about !.5 million.

When Auckland has a huge day at races we tisk about the crowd who just goes for  the piss-up ,girls and posing like at the tennis/polo or the Fashion parade.

Great to see Kumara have Fashions in the Field , games for Children and Band/music.....But the people go for the HORSES...yay !

And Mick Guerin reminded everybody about the racing legends to come out of the Coast...HIMSELF of course ,Leo , Skelton Bros , Pongia boys... I could add the Lalors , Kevin Bell and Mrs Wildbore and Phil Jones !

A great day for the Coast ! 

Looks like TAB For Ever is… Mick Guerin?  You type of prats should not be doing TAB surveys…. They need to be completed by your average punter

49 minutes ago, Huey said:

Stables experiences are more likely to get a young person involved, something I understand isn't possible at Kumara?

If they are getting stable experience, they are already in the game. I'm asking what experiences you think they had that encouraged them to do that?

1 minute ago, curious said:

If they are getting stable experience, they are already in the game. I'm asking what experiences you think they had that encouraged them to do that?

Rubbish they all start somewhere, same could be said for those attending race meetings.

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Exactly.  That's where my interest started.  Attending the local meetings at Westland and Kumara.

Those places only have 1 race meeting no jumpouts, trials or horses worked on course when you developed your interest?

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

Those places only have 1 race meeting no jumpouts, trials or horses worked on course when you developed your interest?

They had more than one race meeting in my day.  However as I said earlier a meeting such as at Kumara can sow the seed of interest in a new generation.  

35 minutes ago, Huey said:

Rubbish they all start somewhere, same could be said for those attending race meetings.

I disagree. If they have already acquired a stable-hand licence, or at least hold a probationary one, and are working in a stable, then as far as I'm concerned they are already in the industry. I doubt the majority of owners and punters have done that.

What I am asking is what you think might have inspired those young people to do that?

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They had more than one race meeting in my day.  However as I said earlier a meeting such as at Kumara can sow the seed of interest in a new generation.  

My point exactly, they won't be doing that nowadays.

1 minute ago, curious said:

I disagree. If they have already acquired a stable-hand licence, or at least hold a probationary one, and are working in a stable, then as far as I'm concerned they are already in the industry. I doubt the majority of owners and punters have done that.

What I am asking is what you think might have inspired those young people to do that?

Youre making things up now, not all of them have stable licences and most certainly haven't in the past or need to at this present time just because the governing body deems it so , its not a prerequisite for developing an interest in the sport.

22 minutes ago, Huey said:

There have been a number of West Coast based trainers over the years.

5 minutes ago, Huey said:

Youre making things up now, not all of them have stable licences and most certainly haven't in the past or need to at this present time just because the governing body deems it so , its not a prerequisite for developing an interest in the sport.

That's exactly what @curious said.  You are agreeing with him!

7 minutes ago, Huey said:

I thought you were claiming that it was a pre-requisite for some.

36 minutes ago, curious said:

There have been a number of West Coast based trainers over the years.

There certainly been, plus many owner trainers as well, a lot that I've forgotten, have to drag out the old race books from many a year ago, bit late at this hour, duty calls tomorrow, 3,30 I'll be up preparing to head to work. 5km on the push bike to warm me up.

• Like 1