Bit Of A Yarn

The good ole days come back to Reefton.

Chief Stipe

I realise it was the Trots...

General

General

Following Race 3 - Stewards requested a ruling from the Adjudicative Committee acting under Rule 211(1)(b) for the removal of assistant judge Mr Olson following information that investments had been placed on track. After hearing from Stewards and Mr Olson the Adjudicative Committee removed the assistant judge for the duration of the day and ordered the appointment of a replacement. Stewards opened and adjourned an information into this matter.

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I realise it was the Trots...

General

General

Following Race 3 - Stewards requested a ruling from the Adjudicative Committee acting under Rule 211(1)(b) for the removal of assistant judge Mr Olson following information that investments had been placed on track. After hearing from Stewards and Mr Olson the Adjudicative Committee removed the assistant judge for the duration of the day and ordered the appointment of a replacement. Stewards opened and adjourned an information into this matter.

Aren't the rules straightforward on this, I always thought they were not aloud to bet, will be interesting to see the outcome and penalty imposed, what's your opinion on the matter.

West Coast racing seems to be considered ' different' in a positive sort of way !

But seems to be a law unto itself in many ways.

In recent years the local council / liquor licensee authority has been quite critical of attitudes around booze .

Well its that time of year again folks and no doubt social media will be fill of incidents like this Judge having a nibble which will hang around for months.

Always good for a giggle...LOL

12 hours ago, Shad said:

Aren't the rules straightforward on this, I always thought they were not aloud to bet, will be interesting to see the outcome and penalty imposed, what's your opinion on the matter.

Yes the rules are the rules however isn't the rule a bit obsolete?  I understand how it would be a problem in the pre-technology days but how could an Assistant Judge influence the result in their favour today?

Brings back a memory from about 50+ years ago.  The local Hokitika TAB agent was also the Westland Racing Club Judge.  He called a horse in first which was clearly fourth even in the photo.  Not even sure he got fined let alone suspended!  

The cheeky sod had the photo finish framed and put on his wall at home.  He was the father of a mate of mine and when I went to the father's funeral and we were talking into the early boozed hours that photo came up.  My mate could never work out why that picture was on the wall until I explained why.

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes the rules are the rules however isn't the rule a bit obsolete?  I understand how it would be a problem in the pre-technology days but how could an Assistant Judge influence the result in their favour today?

Brings back a memory from about 50+ years ago.  The local Hokitika TAB agent was also the Westland Racing Club Judge.  He called a horse in first which was clearly fourth even in the photo.  Not even sure he got fined let alone suspended!  

The cheeky sod had the photo finish framed and put on his wall at home.  He was the father of a mate of mine and when I went to the father's funeral and we were talking into the early boozed hours that photo came up.  My mate could never work out why that picture was on the wall until I explained why.

Interesting story that one, I remember Jim Keenan was the president of the club for many year, really enjoyed that meeting down there, was some tidy horses won races there over the years, remember decoy lad winning there, won a grand national hurdle I think, back to the rules, they've obviously keep it in for a reason, he maybe should have snuck into the local tab or on a internet tab site, saved the rigmarole. 

19 hours ago, Shad said:

It is straightforward. What was he thinking?

310 (1) No person acting as a Starter or Starter's Assistant or Judge or Judge's Assistant or duly
appointed substitute therefore either as a Paid Official or in an honorary capacity shall:-
(a) officiate at any race meeting at which there is competing any horse in the ownership of
which he is directly or indirectly interested unless he has the prior consent of the
Stipendiary Steward; or
(b) bet or be interested in any wager or bet on any race at any race meeting where he is
officiating.

• Champ Post 1

12 minutes ago, curious said:

It is straightforward. What was he thinking?

310 (1) No person acting as a Starter or Starter's Assistant or Judge or Judge's Assistant or duly
appointed substitute therefore either as a Paid Official or in an honorary capacity shall:-
(a) officiate at any race meeting at which there is competing any horse in the ownership of
which he is directly or indirectly interested unless he has the prior consent of the
Stipendiary Steward; or
(b) bet or be interested in any wager or bet on any race at any race meeting where he is
officiating.

So what does a Judge's Assistant actually do?

45 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So what does a Judge's Assistant actually do?

Walks from the judges box to I don't know where with documents I guess from the race , or at the greymouth gallops lowers documents by fishing rod to kids at the bottom of the stairs to the kids who do the running, also maybe another set of eyes to double check the photo finish. That's all I know.

• Haha 1

I remember one day at Hokitika when the track was a bog. The maiden race was 1600m and won in a time of 2.03m.

The timekeeper was a mate of mine and he said that he knew Harness horses could break 2m, so he made the time to 1m 59, as he could not have the impression they could go quicker than a Thoroughbred.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Should be a good day's racing at greymouth today, let's hope they get through the day unscathed in all areas, there's always that thought of doubt heading to the races these days, especially if your traveling, alas I'm only a punter at this time, alot tougher for owners and trainers.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Should be a good day's racing at Greymouth today

72 runners, 15 trained by M. Pitman, 10 trained by trotting trainers, race 8 only full field, Greymouth Cup - 6 runners, 3 on 65 rating. No K. Meyers.

Without Pitman and the trotting guys, would've been game over.

One wonders if Pitmans had those 15 runners at Waikouiti if they had of raced  on Jan 1 , if they  would have turned up at Greymouth, they didn't go to Riverton, sure no Meyers horses this year but fields are fine, no four horse races as yet.

• Like 1

And remember those who wanted Omakau to stay where it was, it would have raced today,  but as no one went there latterly  they canned it, if you go back many years Vincent raced same time as  West Coast circuit, not all the changes made have been bad, Riverton on Jan 1 seems a good date, Kurow has no southern horses, Riverton basically none North of the Waitaki, the way the days fall sometime don't help with some dates.

4 hours ago, billy connolly said:

72 runners, 15 trained by M. Pitman, 10 trained by trotting trainers, race 8 only full field, Greymouth Cup - 6 runners, 3 on 65 rating. No K. Meyers.

SI is doing pretty well really. 62 horses at Tauherenikau yesterday, 61 at HB a couple of days earlier. 4 horse fields not a good look. Even Puke on New Years day, only 93 horses for massive stakes. 9.3 horses per race, virtually the same as Greymouth. And Greymouth doesn't have multiple group races and massive stakes. Wouldn't surprise me if Kumara this weekend gets a bigger crowd that Puke on the 1st, although apparently we aren't supposed to talk about crowd sizes any more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doomed said:

And Greymouth doesn't have multiple group races and massive stakes.

But it had 40k on offer for a 65 rated, 1-win pony in the Greymouth Cup. We once used this race as a prelude to the Wellington Cup (with a lot less than 40k on offer) but with a quality horse who'd won a dozen or more races !

Regarding Omakau, they originally raced the first Saturday/Monday of January and clashed with both Kumara and Hokitika, but the writing was on the wall when they lost their second day. A reduced horse pool combined with the travel involved for one raceday has seen Omakau's demise.

Omakau was once an excellent 2-day meeting, it had a decent track, atmosphere, weather, hospitality, fishing, shooting (rabbits) etc.

Edited by billy connolly
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

But it had 40k on offer for a 65 rated, 1-win pony in the Greymouth Cup. We once used this race as a prelude to the Wellington Cup (with a lot less than 40k on offer) but with a quality horse who'd won a dozen or more races !

Regarding Omakau, they originally raced the first Saturday/Monday of January and clashed with both Kumara and Hokitika, but the writing was on the wall when they lost their second day. A reduced horse pool combined with the travel involved for one raceday has seen Omakau's demise.

Omakau was once an excellent 2-day meeting, it had a decent track, atmosphere, weather, hospitality, fishing, shooting (rabbits) etc.

Did you happen to catch the quality of horses and the numbers that went around in the Royal Stakes and Queen Elizabeth? $225,000 and $220,000 respectively. Both group races. Won by a rating 64 and rating 74 respectively.  I don't think Greymouth did too badly, and probably managed a bigger crowd than that meeting with all the group races.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billy connolly said:

Bear in mind that some of those in Pitty's name were  Harris horses.   Good to see him get a couple yesterday, stable has been quiet of late by his standards.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doomed said:

SI is doing pretty well really. 62 horses at Tauherenikau yesterday, 61 at HB a couple of days earlier. 4 horse fields not a good look. Even Puke on New Years day, only 93 horses for massive stakes. 9.3 horses per race, virtually the same as Greymouth. And Greymouth doesn't have multiple group races and massive stakes. Wouldn't surprise me if Kumara this weekend gets a bigger crowd that Puke on the 1st, although apparently we aren't supposed to talk about crowd sizes any more.

OK to talk about crowd size but why ???? What is the significance ?

Racing is now a TV business , whose survival based on two groups.....Owners and Punters !

Crowd is good to talk about , like talking about the weather....fills in a bit of time. 

The biggest crowds go to a few big days ......NZ Cup day, Trotting Cup day , Derby Day ,Karaka day, The iconic days like Kaikoura Trots , Kumara Nuggets , Summer vacation days between Boxing Day and Jan 10 ,including yesterday at Oamakau.

With some Days having NO entry fee ,the numbers of crowd not accurately known........we calculate these from our padded cells with keyboards as poor crowds , good crowds ,great crowds and fantastic. 

Admission to a few of the biggest days can be expensive by NZ standards ,plus Card charges. The biggest busiest days charge the the most ....go figure !

Personally I usually pay ZERO to get in , maybe $50 to NZ cup day , $200 ++for sit down meal and booze all day at a few big days ...... $30-$50 to Group1 day Melbourne.....$300 to $600 for a Dining ticket to a Melbourne Cup  week meeting .

Some NZ clubs charge a fee to Summer Holiday meetings in NZ at this time ,to help them survive ...this sets the keyboards alive , look out ! Some give free racebooks ,others charge from $3 to $10 etc etc.

Enough about crowd size...the weather chat more exciting....TV doesnt give indicator of attendance as most people inside at bigger courses or in Carparks away from the Action . For example ,NY Day at Pukekohe [free entry] had a few thousand there I did a quick count .But less than Ellerslie would have ,and fewer than Te Rapa in 2023. People don't even know where Pukekohe is unless you want some fresh potatoes.

Omakau had several thousand, huge crowd ,campervan city ,kids galore ,huge picnic ...Motukarara [ I not required there this year] traditionally is packed for late Dec meeting.

Other country tracks ,most there on day line the fence down straight so you can see most people there...places like Roxburgh have NO infrastucture so everyone out.And some of those meetings have always been bleak.....eg Waikouaiti ...But people have great memories of them so talk them up. Full of Canterbury holiday makers and locals with their coolers of food and booze for their annual picnic !

Enough waffle....I'll be back with my take on THE HORSES during my next work or toilet break !

Summary....crowd size of little relevance ! Racing a TV business !

31 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Summary....crowd size of little relevance ! Racing a TV business !

True for current business, however historically at least, haven't those picnic/family oriented meetings been a way that the next generation become interested in and excited about racing?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

43 minutes ago, curious said:

True for current business, however historically at least, haven't those picnic/family oriented meetings been a way that the next generation become interested in and excited about racing?

Of course.