Bit Of A Yarn

harnesslink story on dunn stable

I was just reading a story about the successful day the stable had at rangiora. 

Robert dunn was quoted as saying how they have a great team of workers.

At one point he is quoted as saying 

"all the staff are great. Jenna does a great job.she stayed home on cup day and when each horse came home she gave them a saline,dressed them all up and put them away".

Now ,what are the rules relating to raceday treatment?

I had always thought raceday treatment is ....up to half an hour after the last race.

i know the rules say treatment is allowed after they have raced,i just had thought the half hour after the last race was the timeframe.

Can someone clarify that?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Wouldnt have thought that giving a horse Saline after a horse had left the course and arrived home was not permitted though?

Its all about the timing.

In 2019 hrnz issued an official notice saying...

"a clear day prior to racing means the 24 hour period prior to 12.01 am on the day the horse is racing and includes the day of racing"

A day of racing commences at 12.01 on the day in which a horse is to race and concludes half an hour after the last race."

So i had thought that was pretty self explanatory.

Am i missing something as robert dunn obviously is happy to say that they treated their horses after they raced, apparently as they came home before the days racing concluded. After all,he said someone didn't go to the races and stayed home so they could do that.

If people can treat their horses after they have raced,irrespective of the time,why doesn't that offical notice from hrnz say that.

Edited by the galah

8 minutes ago, the galah said:

"a clear day prior to racing means the 24 hour period prior to 12.01 am on the day the horse is racing and includes the day of racing"

A day of racing commences at 12.01 on the day in which a horse is to race and concludes half an hour after the last race."

So i had thought that was pretty self explanatory.

You are misinterpreting the rule.  In my opinion the one clear day rule is open to misinterpretation.

I would say at this time of year that giving a horse a saline as soon as they got home after a race was very good practice and in the welfare interests of the horse.

The rule probably is to stop horses being treated on course during the raceday after their race but allowing to them to be treated on course 30 minutes after the last race.  Some horses at this time of year are on tour and so will be stabled on course.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are misinterpreting the rule.  In my opinion the one clear day rule is open to misinterpretation.

I would say at this time of year that giving a horse a saline as soon as they got home after a race was very good practice and in the welfare interests of the horse.

The rule probably is to stop horses being treated on course during the raceday after their race but allowing to them to be treated on course 30 minutes after the last race.  Some horses at this time of year are on tour and so will be stabled on course.

Well i have asked the question hoping for some clarification.

you say in your opinion,which tends to suggest you think,but aren't 100% sure.

I'm not saying your not correct,i'm saying if you read that offical notice that hrnz put out,it can be interpreted that no raceday treatment is up to half an hour after the last race.Thats what it says. I know theres reference in the rules to ..prior to racing..,but if it was simply no treatment prior to racing then why even have the half hour after the last race in the rules.And if it is half an hour after the last race on course,why not just say that.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

but if it was simply no treatment prior to racing then why even have the half hour after the last race in the rules.And if it is half an hour after the last race on course,why not just say that.

Because a lot of things including rules in racing are poorly written.

A lot of rules are about perception rather than any real reason.  For example waiting until half an hour after the last race is probably to stop anyone from the general public seen a horse receive a saline drip or being tubed with an alkaline substance to alleviate lactic acid build up.

Let's face it there is no logical reason to prevent a trainer who has run a horse in the first race, taken it home and is looking after its welfare from giving it any treatment.  Having to wait another 5+ hours is ludicrous.

• Like 5