Bit Of A Yarn

Nelson Trots Two Day Annual Meeting Friday 12th & Sunday 14th January.

9 hours ago, Forbury said:

Totally agree again👍💪🤞

Ruakaka has a lot of talent and if right, can loop the field and leave them standing. Trial form says that is exactly what will happen. Bob won the lesser grade trot by a cricket pitch with The Present Maker at this meeting last year. Very confident Ruakaka will do the same. A big margin victory very much on the cards.

The way Alta Meteor won at the Mot last start was impressive. Had them covered a long way out and Tim has many options today. I'm picking he will come calling for the top at some point and will get it. Race in the back pocket from that moment on. 

13 hours ago, Walt said:

Looking out the lounge window at Tahuna beach this morning it's a cracking day for harness racing. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f96eb6df33f81241263cff5d56330258.jpeg

Nice view, and beautiful day, hope you made a dollar, few good tips amongst your picks, you'll be backing VIP for the second day

40 minutes ago, Shad said:

Nice view, and beautiful day, hope you made a dollar, few good tips amongst your picks, you'll be backing VIP for the second day

Thanks Shad. We do enjoy our view. It was only 16 months ago a lot of the hillside around us was involved in the slips and our place was too close for comfort to slide down the hillside. 

Won enough to pay for the day and have an even ledger.  Was a happy but long hot day.

Spotted a couple of winners for the second day on Sunday but I'd say a few others will have spotted them also.

10 hours ago, Walt said:

Thanks Shad. We do enjoy our view. It was only 16 months ago a lot of the hillside around us was involved in the slips and our place was too close for comfort to slide down the hillside. 

Won enough to pay for the day and have an even ledger.  Was a happy but long hot day.

Spotted a couple of winners for the second day on Sunday but I'd say a few others will have spotted them also.

Great day out if if you can punt through 11 races and come out unscathed, re your lovely view, I'm glad your still sitting pretty up there, you cant win these days, build on the flat you risk flooding ect up top and ya risk landslides, and the insurance very expensive, 4k for the year where I am for modest place, good to see a couple of rough divs yesterday, looked like good racing from what I seen, hopefully not so hot tomorrow, and not to long between races, can make the day better, archie must have been poor again, will checkout replay.Good luck, backing up for the second day, don't know where I got the VIP, from was ment to be up, from my last post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mardy said:

Bloody stunning view is that.

Thanks Marty. Our place in Auckland had a glimpse of a sea view if you stood on a chair in the back bedroom and were able to see over a squillion other properties. Our place in Nelson cost us the same price as our Auckland property. 

image.thumb.jpeg.830f572dff9f9133ab3e2c57825b0ae5.jpeg

1 hour ago, goldilocks said:

Will the standing  starts be as bad as the first day?

Just  about an inquiry after ever stand!

Hard not to notice that. I hope we see a big improvement tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, Shad said:

Great day out if if you can punt through 11 races and come out unscathed, re your lovely view, I'm glad your still sitting pretty up there, you cant win these days, build on the flat you risk flooding ect up top and ya risk landslides, and the insurance very expensive, 4k for the year where I am for modest place, good to see a couple of rough divs yesterday, looked like good racing from what I seen, hopefully not so hot tomorrow, and not to long between races, can make the day better, archie must have been poor again, will checkout replay.Good luck, backing up for the second day, don't know where I got the VIP, from was ment to be up, from my last post.

100%....floods or slips. Take your pick. We want to build on a hillside at Atawhai but can't get insurance and have spoken to several others with the same issue. Sometimes the price you pay for a stunning view is more than just $$.

It was a long day yesterday. We loved the day but my wife is a once a year racegoer and we've already doubled that this year after going to NZ Cup Day. 

Forecast is for showers / rain tomorrow afternoon. That should cool things down but would prefer they don't arrive until after the last race. 

Lots of highlights yesterday and one winner that shocked me. That being Mary Lou for Murray Pash. Nothing in any of her races suggested that run was on the cards. On top of that I can't remember the last time I saw Blair look both ways and still get beat. There was a stunned silence in our area when she won. I heard one guy nearby say "what the fck just happened?".

If I was going to give any betting advice for tomorrow, it would be to back every horse that ran fourth on the first day to place tomorrow. All the 4th placings I saw looked very worthwhile place bets.

Good luck to all the BOAY clan having a punt tomorrow. 

On 12/01/2024 at 8:16 AM, Walt said:

Looking out the lounge window at Tahuna beach this morning it's a cracking day for harness racing. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f96eb6df33f81241263cff5d56330258.jpeg

Isn't there a pub down there called the something Sun?  Or something...

Had a mate that used to live on Rangiora Terrace which can't be too far from you.

35 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Isn't there a pub down there called the something Sun?  Or something...

Had a mate that used to live on Rangiora Terrace which can't be too far from you.

I think you're thinking of the Rising Sun Tavern Chief...it's about six minutes from me heading away from the CBD heading toward the Hospital on Waimea Road. I think it's been turned into a hotel for accommodation. I would call in there for a beer in the 70s and early 80s around the same time you were probably heading out to the Star and Garter in Richmond for a cold one or the old Railway Hotel just down from the racecourse. ...now a McDonalds as there obviously not enough of those around 🤣

Weather looks good for today so far but a bit of rain forecast later in the day. Hope it comes to nothing.

My picks for today.

R1......Really liked the trial win of Queen of Swords so she goes on top.

R2......Heartbreak Hotel shit himself soon after the start in his race day debut on Friday. I have a long standing theory about trotters that go out fav on debut and fail. It's uncanny how many win at their second attempt. It's about 8 out of 10 times a winner. .....he's on top again for me today. Had to like the first day second of Top of The Hill. ...he's the danger

R3......Take A Selfie lost the plot on Friday. She has the ability so would pay to stay with the ship. Kaysans Rock was doing handstands turning in on Friday. I thought times and margins please. Inexplicably, she was run over late by the horse in the race I felt had the least chance of winning. Still gobsmacked by the result. I can't leave her out despite reservations.

R4......Major Happy was the plunge horse of the day on Friday but lost the plot. She has to be on top here.

R5.....Twista is a strong horse in form. Can work and win here. Liked the way Gatecrasher found the line on Friday. Must go close and nothing wrong with the two runs of Misty Blue. Looks a deadset trifecta.

R6.....Tricky race. The winner should come from Woodend. Ready Set Jet won nicely on Friday for Bob and Grand Eagle ran an excellent second behind Ruakaka on Friday and that's superb form for this race.

R7.....Ooga Chaka was stiff on the first day after getting bent sideways at the wrong time. Trained by ex Nelson boy Tim Trathen who loves winning at Nelson.  Bob Butt driving so could be a big day for him. Classie Linc  also didn't have any luck on Friday and is closing in on another win.

R8....Excellent race. Sunnys Sister should win but Ruakaka is in here from the pole. Part owned by Matt Cross so it could be another "Go you good thing"...Blair driving Idle Stuartia for his old mate Mike Austin who the race is named in honour of. Solid on the first day so a big place chance here.

R9.....Go again Alta Meteor Celtic Spirit joins in the meeting and with any luck will be in the finish.

R10.... Another tricky and open race. Blue Rock Dancer has a strong connection to Nelson and was well backed to win on Friday but lost the plot. Go again. 

R11.....Jonny Cox won the last on Friday with Rock Band. Good chance of repeating the dose with What A Minx here. Slashing run for second at the Mot from well back and this race no harder. She's drawn nicely.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Hope you stuck with fourth amendment,after tipping it first day, nice divy 

Nailed him in my trebles and quaddie bets Shad but my main bet in that race was Blue Rock Dancer who began nicely today so I was smiling....then blew to bits under his own steam. 

Some big performances today. The best of those to my eye was clearly Ooga Chaka.

Off to Mardy territory now at Waterlea. Another Friday - Sunday meeting. Can never get enough of grass track harness.   

Hope you and the BOAY crew found a few winners today. 

50 minutes ago, Walt said:

Nailed him in my trebles and quaddie bets Shad but my main bet in that race was Blue Rock Dancer who began nicely today so I was smiling....then blew to bits under his own steam. 

Some big performances today. The best of those to my eye was clearly Ooga Chaka.

Off to Mardy territory now at Waterlea. Another Friday - Sunday meeting. Can never get enough of grass track harness.   

Hope you and the BOAY crew found a few winners today. 

Yes blue rock went another shocker, obviously don't enjoy the all weather of Nelson,hopefully they get good fields up the road,will keep an eye out for your preview, can beat the grass track racing 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shad said:

Yes blue rock went another shocker, obviously don't enjoy the all weather of Nelson,hopefully they get good fields up the road,will keep an eye out for your preview, can beat the grass track racing 

Not sure what's irking Blue Rock Dancer there Shad. Him blowing to bits free of interference yesterday was my low point of the day. I was virtually counting my winnings when he began cleanly and was trailing. There is something clearly wrong there. Unsure if he's feeling discomfort or it's a head thing. Those two can often be connected. Lord Module testament to that. The Hope's know their stuff so no doubt he'll get sorted.

Looking forward to Blenheim. Have a busy few weeks coming up ...but will work things around putting priority on harness racing of course :) 

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, Walt said:

Not sure what's irking Blue Rock Dancer there Shad. Him blowing to bits free of interference yesterday was my low point of the day. I was virtually counting my winnings when he began cleanly and was trailing. There is something clearly wrong there. Unsure if he's feeling discomfort or it's a head thing. Those two can often be connected. Lord Module testament to that. The Hope's know their stuff so no doubt he'll get sorted.

Looking forward to Blenheim. Have a busy few weeks coming up ...but will work things around putting priority on harness racing of course :) 

I read that in the gallop he did break a hopple,but that wasn't the reason for him to break. Also read that Ben Hope said that they will get there vet to look at him too see what's going on with him.

• Like 1