Bit Of A Yarn

An easy one.

9 hours ago, Walt said:

Horses like Starship bring people into the game and likely keep them in it for decades. He was a beauty. 

I remember Joy Boy also starting off long marks at Westport back in the day we had a two mile country cup on the grass virtually every weekend. 

I remember Colin Cleine's Gypsy Winkle. You're right, she won the 1990 Oaks beating Jiffy's Girl. Gypsy Winkle produced Western Flare who Mark Jones won 10 races with. 

Trover Thomas was a superb trainer. He had a horse I had a connection with in the early 80's I had a connection with called Lopez MacFaber. He could peel off a quarter at almost breakneck speed. I'd drive to Christchurch from Nelson to watch him race on occasion. Will always remember getting a large tax refund and then driving down to watch and punt him. I put the lot on him. Still have nightmares about that race won by Ces Devine's horse, Capri won the race. Lopez was flying home and would have won by margin and then broke 150 out....settled and then got going to run fourth. That's why they call it gambling :) 

Trevor had some superb horses in his day. $120 buy Stormy Morn won 32 races including a Dominion and Rowe Cup. He was a beauty. I can still picture him doing his thing. He didn't have the same tool box as some of the big stars over the years but what he had, he used magnificently. 

Yes very true, I forgot gypsie won the nz oaks as well as the Southland oaks, I knew colin very well and the first two horses he trained and owned were beauties, interesting enough Trevor Walsh who raced and drove a couple today up your way, drove gypsie to win her first two ever starts at addington, I knew colin who was a hard working farmer and contractor for many farmers, was taken to young in his mid 50s from memory, to have the first two named as the first two you raced was certainly a great start, I do believe his son Jamie is now the mayor of Westport, my post on joyboy incorrectly stated he was off 90m but in fact it was 120m, decent start for the others, may have been beaten by royal knight which came up from the deep south, I remember Lopez well I'm sure he seen him go well on the coast, my favorite horse of trevor Thomas was a average trotter call game lark certainly no star but got a few divs off him over the years, he must have lived to a ripe age Trevor, , another fella that bought a few battlers around the smalls was j d burgess  had a couple of silverdale named horses, seemed to be around for ever, they were great old stalwarts for the small clubs and not so small ones to.

• Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, Walt said:

Horses like Starship bring people into the game and likely keep them in it for decades. He was a beauty. 

I remember Joy Boy also starting off long marks at Westport back in the day we had a two mile country cup on the grass virtually every weekend. 

I remember Colin Cleine's Gypsy Winkle. You're right, she won the 1990 Oaks beating Jiffy's Girl. Gypsy Winkle produced Western Flare who Mark Jones won 10 races with. 

Trover Thomas was a superb trainer. He had a horse I had a connection with in the early 80's I had a connection with called Lopez MacFaber. He could peel off a quarter at almost breakneck speed. I'd drive to Christchurch from Nelson to watch him race on occasion. Will always remember getting a large tax refund and then driving down to watch and punt him. I put the lot on him. Still have nightmares about that race won by Ces Devine's horse, Capri won the race. Lopez was flying home and would have won by margin and then broke 150 out....settled and then got going to run fourth. That's why they call it gambling :) 

Trevor had some superb horses in his day. $120 buy Stormy Morn won 32 races including a Dominion and Rowe Cup. He was a beauty. I can still picture him doing his thing. He didn't have the same tool box as some of the big stars over the years but what he had, he used magnificently. 

Can remember Lopez MacFaber, always liked the Lopez name in a horse. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shad said:

Yes very true, I forgot gypsie won the nz oaks as well as the Southland oaks, I knew colin very well and the first two horses he trained and owned were beauties, interesting enough Trevor Walsh who raced and drove a couple today up your way, drove gypsie to win her first two ever starts at addington, I knew colin who was a hard working farmer and contractor for many farmers, was taken to young in his mid 50s from memory, to have the first two named as the first two you raced was certainly a great start, I do believe his son Jamie is now the mayor of Westport, my post on joyboy incorrectly stated he was off 90m but in fact it was 120m, decent start for the others, may have been beaten by royal knight which came up from the deep south, I remember Lopez well I'm sure he seen him go well on the coast, my favorite horse of trevor Thomas was a average trotter call game lark certainly no star but got a few divs off him over the years, he must have lived to a ripe age Trevor, , another fella that bought a few battlers around the smalls was j d burgess  had a couple of silverdale named horses, seemed to be around for ever, they were great old stalwarts for the small clubs and not so small ones to.

I remember Game Lark surprisingly well Shad :) 

Believe it or not I backed him just about every time he went around. He didn't mind a bit of moisture on the track and ran in some good races against decent horses. Was no world beater but was an honest trotter that you knew what you were going to get. I remember having a good size place bet on him at Nelson. Pretty sure he ran third. He ran third behind a horse driven by Royce Cleal. Can't remember the horses name for the life of me but Game Lark was one of the roughies of the field. 

Trevor made it to 77. I recall his passing being sudden despite his age. 

I think you and I have followed the same horses Shad....uncanny. 

• Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, holy ravioli said:

I recall relentless team driving by the Purdons.

They would have 3 in the race-Wolfenden,Barry and Herlihy....Front runners like Capt Harcourt or the Bru Czar would be taken on and a Purdon runner with a cosy sit would get the last crack.

Sole Command comes to mind...a good pacer but beat some much better(usually by a neck)with a soft journey.

I don't disagree H.R but I have considerable respect for Roy so won't speak ill of him. I will say he and Barry dominated the open class pacers in the 1990's in the North. They'd often have multiple runners in the field and happily used their numerical advantage in a way I disliked. The Bru Czar and Franco Ice are two I remember being on the receiving end. 

Sole Command won the NZ Cup in 1977. My first Cup I attended. I remember Wolfie driving him . Final Curtain was in the field and Barry drove that but can't recall his run. Very good field with Wee Win, Palestine, Captain Harcourt, Bolton Byrd, In or Out who DG drove and Stanley Rio.

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

He went well Newmarket and on his day he was a beauty......but he could also do your head in. Lopez Hanover was a fav sire of mine

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember Game Lark surprisingly well Shad :) 

Believe it or not I backed him just about every time he went around. He didn't mind a bit of moisture on the track and ran in some good races against decent horses. Was no world beater but was an honest trotter that you knew what you were going to get. I remember having a good size place bet on him at Nelson. Pretty sure he ran third. He ran third behind a horse driven by Royce Cleal. Can't remember the horses name for the life of me but Game Lark was one of the roughies of the field. 

Trevor made it to 77. I recall his passing being sudden despite his age. 

I think you and I have followed the same horses Shad....uncanny. 

Yeah seems that way, true game lark a perennial roughie that ran a place quite often, that horse thatt beat him may have been butane, lark also won a 3200m at blenheim, must have won at least 6 or 7,can tell ya today I thought I was on a winner with Pacific thunder,took it at 60s an 8s fixed  just beaten by a better one, took elbury street at 80s tidy run was traveling ok on turn not sure if it locked wheels or just broke, but still went tidy race an not far away, hope for love also good run, franco Tim just a race, but fell asleep on my chair would gave backed son of Patrick, but win only, bit short on tote for me, will back up the second day, certainly got some good runs for my money, thought Trevor may have lived longer, there wasn't much of Trevor a light weight in the cart.

45 minutes ago, Walt said:
2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

He went well Newmarket and on his day he was a beauty......but he could also do your head in.

Done my head in. 🕵️‍♂️ Never heard of it.  You blokes sure like some pretty obscure animals at times lol.😋

Lopez McFaber  6 wins from 46 starts and $20k earned. definitely not in the elite anyway.

Here he is though with a good '2nd at Addington' in a photo for you. 

His conqueror here, a much better horse going on to beat Hands Down and Borana one time , but usually only 4th or 5th to Enterprise, Our Mana , Camelot,  Roydon Glen, Hilarious Guest, Dillion Dale  Spanker On and other greats of that era.  .

Might be one that slips past Rangatira  ? Can Ranga get this Winner ? 

DSC03136.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Done my head in. 🕵️‍♂️ Never heard of it.  You blokes sure like some pretty obscure animals at times lol.😋

Lopez McFaber  6 wins from 46 starts and $20k earned. definitely not in the elite anyway.

His conqueror here, a much better horse going on to beat Hands Down and Borana one time , but usually only 4th or 5th to Enterprise, Our Mana , Camelot,  Roydon Glen, Hilarious Guest, Dillion Dale  Spanker On and other greats of that era.  .

DSC03136.JPG

Derby? 

53 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

DSC03136.JPG

Is that Norton with Kerry O'Reilly ? 

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Is that Norton with Kerry O'Reilly ? 

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Derby? 

Oooooohmy goodness..😳 you guys are so close you're nearly on fire . 🔥

Nice horse DERBY was In the race that our horse won defeating Hands Down, Borana and Our Mana.

and just the very start before that... nice horse NORTON had defeated Hands Down, Borana and Our Mana as well . with our 'Horse from the photo' and 'Derby'  both just missing the places.  

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Double Cove used to wear a shadow roll like that, although many of RJB’s did. He had a phenomenal team then, and could drive a bit.

Double Cove gets Blackie the chocolates . Richard Brosnan training Him, and Derby too , to many victories early 80's .  RJB winning the Cup and FFA the same year as Double Cove's photo above.

His star mare Bonnie's Chance (a favourite of Walt's)  knocking off Armalight in November in Cup week twice to be Queen of the Track ahead of her arch-rival. 

both Looking so cool in this photo , you wonder if it was taken just before the Cup rather than just after lol 😆

DSC03137.JPG

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

A nice trotter for today . 

This should be an easy one for the legend of South Island trotting Rangatira .

Ranga or a trotting BOAY Fan might be able to Name this Winner ? ?

Got him well beat to pick the 2nd placegetter though? .😂

Victory at Last !! 

12-2.jpg.222bbfa190712109f34348e49967599c.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

A nice trotter for today . 

This should be an easy one for the legend of South Island trotting Rangatira .

Ranga or a trotting BOAY Fan might be able to Name this Winner ? ?

Got him well beat to pick the 2nd placegetter though? .😂

Victory at Last !! 

12-2.jpg.222bbfa190712109f34348e49967599c.jpg

Tornado Valley (Terry McMillan) beating Ruby's Jewel (Matthew Williamson)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Tornado Valley (Terry McMillan) beating Ruby's Jewel (Matthew Williamson)

too good mate . it's like being Sunny's sister trying to beat you ,  Sundees RangaSon. too big too strong.😄

The 'Tornado' winning here at Timaru I think in one of his NZ wins. Tornado Valley. One of the true great's 

Had about 50 starts in Aus, nearly all Group races,  for 30 wins for the dynamo Kate Gath.

She jumped off him just once , and Luke McCarthy drove him in the Great Southern Star 2 years ago just before the Tornado's retirement. Kate Won that race too (with Majestuoso) and the Tornado retired winning a Million 💰. What a Star . !!!!   He did win 2 Great Southern Star's himself afterall 😂

Ruby's Jewel has her first foal at the races now . Just ran 3rd in the Cambridge Group 3 tonight. Majestic Ruby .

• Like 1