Bit Of A Yarn

An easy one.

47 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Don't worry Walt . we'll find one someday that beats Ranga .

Here's a candidate . sure to get him struggling. Blackie might be a chance of Getting it instead.

Horse and Driver ?

DSC03132.JPG

could that be megatrend and jack carmichael?

• Champ Post 2

18 minutes ago, the galah said:

could that be megatrend and jack carmichael?

Bang ! that's our boy . well done Mr Galah. 

Megatrend winning the Sires Stakes by near 5 lengths and picking up $82k for his trouble. Great money for those days to collect in one race. (He finished with $141k career total over 6 seasons as never really reached any big heights again after that 3 year old season)

I was intrigued as EMCEE ran second in that Sires Stakes Final in Cup week to Megatrend.... And Emcee went on to win near 20 races there for John Lischner. then was sold and re-named The Emcee  exported to QLD as a 6 yearold and seemed to win every month?  for 4 years thereafter. Must of been around 40-50 wins for a good bloke Ray Cross in Brisvegas.. a regular winner and a real trier. probably the horse I seen win the most times , more than Delightful Lady at Auckland even. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Walt said:

Two out of three aren't bad Rangatira 

image.jpeg.c5f832fc9ae5766dac270786f181eea7.jpeg

Grand horse he was, started in a Westport cup off a long handicap before heading to an Auckland cup, placed from memory, also left a few winners at stud, joy boy another started 90m behind in a Westport cup,placed 3rd or 2nd, Trevor Thomas a driver trainer I used to follow, another couple of good performers from the coast were star of utopia and gypsie winkle both stablemates, the later winning a Southland oaks, and the other competing in top 3yr old company as well as an inter dominion heats later in his career, 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Here's a candidate . sure to get him struggling. Blackie might be a chance of Getting it instead.

Horse and Driver ?

DSC03132.JPG

Haha...we may have to find a 36 start maiden racing in the mud at the Te Awamutu track in the 1970's trained by an obscure trainer than only had one ex milk cart horse and then retired. We'd be a runners chance of outplaying him :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Grand horse he was, started in a Westport cup off a long handicap before heading to an Auckland cup, placed from memory, also left a few winners at stud, joy boy another started 90m behind in a Westport cup,placed 3rd or 2nd, Trevor Thomas a driver trainer I used to follow, another couple of good performers from the coast were star of utopia and gypsie winkle both stablemates, the later winning a Southland oaks, and the other competing in top 3yr old company as well as an inter dominion heats later in his career, 

Horses like Starship bring people into the game and likely keep them in it for decades. He was a beauty. 

I remember Joy Boy also starting off long marks at Westport back in the day we had a two mile country cup on the grass virtually every weekend. 

I remember Colin Cleine's Gypsy Winkle. You're right, she won the 1990 Oaks beating Jiffy's Girl. Gypsy Winkle produced Western Flare who Mark Jones won 10 races with. 

Trover Thomas was a superb trainer. He had a horse I had a connection with in the early 80's I had a connection with called Lopez MacFaber. He could peel off a quarter at almost breakneck speed. I'd drive to Christchurch from Nelson to watch him race on occasion. Will always remember getting a large tax refund and then driving down to watch and punt him. I put the lot on him. Still have nightmares about that race won by Ces Devine's horse, Capri won the race. Lopez was flying home and would have won by margin and then broke 150 out....settled and then got going to run fourth. That's why they call it gambling :) 

Trevor had some superb horses in his day. $120 buy Stormy Morn won 32 races including a Dominion and Rowe Cup. He was a beauty. I can still picture him doing his thing. He didn't have the same tool box as some of the big stars over the years but what he had, he used magnificently. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Walt said:

Trevor had some superb horses in his day. $120 buy Stormy Morn won 32 races including a Dominion and Rowe Cup. He was a beauty. I can still picture him doing his thing. He didn't have the same tool box as some of the big stars over the years but what he had, he used magnificently. 

Canis Minor was another good one 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

44 minutes ago, Walt said:

Horses like Starship bring people into the game and likely keep them in it for decades. He was a beauty.

"Did someone say Starship ? " "Bring him on , I'm ready to Rumble ". "Us horseplayers like to have someone trying to keep in touch " 😁😋

DSC03133.JPG

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

"Did someone say Starship ? " "Bring him on , I'm ready to Rumble ". "Us horseplayers like to have someone trying to keep in touch " 😁😋

DSC03133.JPG

8 Quinellas as 2yo's and Starship 2nd to Tuapeka Knight each time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

8 Quinellas as 2yo's and Starship 2nd to Tuapeka Knight each time.

Of course the 2 Very expensive 'purchases' went to Auckland for the Season ending New Zealand Juvenile Championship at the end of the season to try and be Top of the Crop.

And in the Auckland slop , a junior driver takes the victory  , to repel the Southern Pretenders who were down the track  😁!!!   Is there nothing this champion man can/could do in trotting ? 😂

DSC03135.JPG

• Like 2

DSC03133.JPG

Tuapeka Knight was magnificent. Only ever beaten twice. Ian Dobson pulled his horses from Brian around 2000. 

2 hours ago, With A Dream said:

Canis Minor was another good one 

Gave myself a slap for not remembering Canis Minor. I always followed him. Lopez Hanover was a fav sire for me especially on grass tracks, even more so if any rain arrived. Canis Minor won 11 and was exported. Canis Major won....zero.

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Tuapeka Knight was magnificent. Only ever beaten twice. Ian Dobson pulled his horses from Brian around 2000. 

Yeah I see he never raced again after the 3 yearold Sires Stakes in November at Addington, as a 3 year-old . (placed 3rd to another Northerner you mentioned Walt in Dillon Dean) ..... 

says StarShip wa purchased for $200,000 by 18 'West Coast' lads . You one of them Walt ?

and Tuapeka Knight was purchased for $175,000 by the Horseplayers syndicate 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Yeah I see he never raced again after the 3 yearold Sires Stakes in November at Addington, as a 3 year-old . (placed 3rd to another Northerner you mentioned Walt in Dillon Dean) ..... 

says StarShip wa purchased for $200,000 by 18 'West Coast' lads . You one of them Walt ?

and Tuapeka Knight was purchased for $175,000 by the Horseplayers syndicate 

Would loved to have owned the tail on either Gammalite. 

Dillon Dean and Dillon Dale who won the FFA for Don Dwyer (top man) were out of Birdie. She was by Gentry who produced a lot of winners including the wonderful grey mare Dawn Mist who we spoke about recently. 

I've been blessed to rub shoulders with the owners of some great horses and enjoy their successes vicariously. Would give my left one to own a piece of one like Starship or Tuapeka Knight. I picture myself doing what DG did with Blossom Lady. He did so much for our game and will always sit at the top of the tree for me. He's also sired wonderful offspring himself both male and female that have flown the flag magnificently on and off the track. Pete was a master and drove like he was Fonzie :) ..Mark is of course a world drivers champion and a superb trainer. The legacy still going strong. Derek and Adele have the fine trotting mare Eurostyle who is the real deal. Pete and Leonne won with Belleophonte at Ashvegas on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Of course the 2 Very expensive 'purchases' went to Auckland for the Season ending New Zealand Juvenile Championship at the end of the season to try and be Top of the Crop.

And in the Auckland slop , a junior driver takes the victory  , to repel the Southern Pretenders who were down the track  😁!!!   Is there nothing this champion man can/could do in trotting ? 😂

DSC03135.JPG

Tony H driving Godfrey home in the 1988 GN Derby.....unfortunately, that race brings back bad memories for me Gammalite. Don had Dillon Dean nailed down. Roy & Barry had two in the race. Godfrey smoking the pipe behind D.D.....Duel Fuel with Barry in the cart up outside D.D pushing him hard and obliterating his own chance. Duel Fuel was going backwards before the turn and ran a bad last. Godfrey nailed Dillon Dean on the post by a neck. I have a lot of respect for the Purdon family but zero respect for what unfolded that night. I'm an idealist who very much enjoys a fair fight. 

30 minutes ago, Walt said:

Tony H driving Godfrey home in the 1988 GN Derby.....unfortunately, that race brings back bad memories for me Gammalite. Don had Dillon Dean nailed down. Roy & Barry had two in the race. Godfrey smoking the pipe behind D.D.....Duel Fuel with Barry in the cart up outside D.D pushing him hard and obliterating his own chance. Duel Fuel was going backwards before the turn and ran a bad last. Godfrey nailed Dillon Dean on the post by a neck. I have a lot of respect for the Purdon family but zero respect for what unfolded that night. I'm an idealist who very much enjoys a fair fight. 

Shame about that GN Derby then Walt. Some good news is DILLON DEAN got some revenge and beat them All in the NZ Messenger 💰 for 4 yearolds the following year anyway. CJ drove 

Yes that is a young Mark Purdon in the photo above with Godfrey, returning to scale, after the  NZ 2 year old Championship in the slop. Tuapeka Knight choked down and pulled up just after the start and Starship went like a scolded cat in front and wilted for Ian Cameron accordingly. Mark Purdon (23 years old then) got a suspension for interference in that race too , to the 2nd placed horse driven by a another junior in the young Glen Wolfenden...   Junior drivers causing Havoc . that was Nothing unusual in those times Walt  😆😂.

28 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Shame about that GN Derby then Walt. Some good news is DILLON DEAN got some revenge and beat them All in the NZ Messenger 💰 for 4 yearolds the following year anyway. CJ drove 

Yes that is a young Mark Purdon in the photo above with Godfrey, returning to scale, after the  NZ 2 year old Championship in the slop. Tuapeka Knight choked down and pulled up just after the start and Starship went like a scolded cat in front and wilted for Ian Cameron accordingly. Mark Purdon (23 years old then) got a suspension for interference in that race too , to the 2nd placed horse driven by a another junior in the young Glen Wolfenden...   Junior drivers causing Havoc . that was Nothing unusual in those times Walt  😆😂.

of course it's Mark P Gammalite. Doesn't look a bit like a young Tony H....and yes, there was some Wild West stuff back in the day. Far more civilized now :) 

As for Mark P....as good a trainer he is, I also rate him as one of our best drivers and feel he doesn't get the driving accolades he deserves. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Horse and Driver ?

DSC03132.JPG

I always remember a bloke telling me a story about  a fella  who used to like having a punt and was always asking his mate for a tip. He would often travel to the races with him. The story went everyone liked this fella but because they thought he needed to pick his own and not rely on their tips,that one day his mate,a trainer or driver,can't remember which, decided he would tip him one as unbeatable,but  in reality had no chance.

Well he tipped megatrand. It was 2nd up after a long lay off over 2 miles at motukarara and off a big mark and had been well beaten first up.

Well you guessed it,to everyones surprise the horse won ,paying a big dividend. The fella who they tipped it to had a big punt,thought the tipster was a genius.

I also remember being at methven when i was a youngster and watched a race megatrend started in. Well the first time they ran the race there was some interference at the start and the stipe,i think neil escott came out onto the track after 300m and waved. All the drivers except a couple seemed to have no idea what he was doing or didn't notice him. They continued on . But then they had an inquiry and decided to call the race a non race and run it after the final race. well obviously there were a lot of irate people on course .Anyway half the field scratched for the rerun. Megatrend who had broken badly in the first race and was out the back came out and ran 2nd in the rerun. I think erin crawford his owner/trainer drove him that day.It was a very controversial decision that the stipes made and got a lot of publicity.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

24 minutes ago, the galah said:

I always remember a bloke telling me a story about  a fella  who used to like having a punt and was always asking his mate for a tip. He would often travel to the races with him. The story went everyone liked this fella but because they thought he needed to pick his own and not rely on their tips,that one day his mate,a trainer or driver,can't remember which, decided he would tip him one as unbeatable,but  in reality had no chance.

Well he tipped megatrand. It was 2nd up after a long lay off over 2 miles at motukarara and off a big mark and had been well beaten first up.

Well you guessed it,to everyones surprise the horse won ,paying a big dividend. The fella who they tipped it to had a big punt,thought the tipster was a genius.

I also remember being at methven when i was a youngster and watched a race megatrend started in. Well the first time they ran the race there was some interference at the start and the stipe,i think neil escott came out onto the track after 300m and waved. All the drivers except a couple seemed to have no idea what he was doing or didn't notice him. They continued on . But then they had an inquiry and decided to call the race a non race and run it after the final race. well obviously there were a lot of irate people on course .Anyway half the field scratched for the rerun. Megatrend who had broken badly in the first race and was out the back came out and ran 2nd in the rerun. I think erin crawford his owner/trainer drove him that day.It was a very controversial decision that the stipes made and got a lot of publicity.

Yes Neil Escott tried to stop the race as the Tote was still open and spose to be, for another 10 minutes. Due to A race/tote/power delay. But the starter didn't know this,  and lined them up and started the race lol 😅....  brilliant .How very country NZ 😋.          Escott said >>>

Some stopped, some didn't. Of course, the tote was still open, and wasn't closed until they were halfway home. After that it rained...poured down. One fiasco after another. They decided to rerun the race after the last. I think eight went round again. (For the record: the T.S. Harrison-Nevele R Three-Year-Old Stakes was won by Beaudiene Bolta - John Hay - from Megatrend and All The Rage. Eight started after 12 were scratched, including the original winner, Twilight Time).

• Champ Post 1

I recall relentless team driving by the Purdons.

They would have 3 in the race-Wolfenden,Barry and Herlihy....Front runners like Capt Harcourt or the Bru Czar would be taken on and a Purdon runner with a cosy sit would get the last crack.

Sole Command comes to mind...a good pacer but beat some much better(usually by a neck)with a soft journey.

• Like 1