Bit Of A Yarn

Karaka Millions - the best raceday in NZ!

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Uh?!

Back to reminiscing I see.

Only a few more days then attention will turn to the PRESENT !

Karaka Million....please if you not booked to go ,then make an effort.

Gonna be memorable.

Best race day in NZ by a country mile......the only meeting better than NZ Trotting Cup day. 

A bit ahead of Kumara , Kurow , Kaikoura , Reefton , Nelson ....beats them all.

The best Horses [ some Aussie ] ,the best jockeys [ some Aussie ,if Air Nz can process them qick enough and they get thru the traffic around the Malls ] the best track , and best facilities and BGP kicking up a storm.

Young people punting big , the fillies looking gorgeous , the roses are out , new railings !

Just great !

Come on guys ,I know its very hard to admit that this day is the best.....

Of course the above factors I mention only tell part of the story !

A major plus for the modern generation is they dont want to spend the whole day on a racetrack.

Official times out tomorrow but the days 6 races will only take  some 4 hours ...4 to 8pm.

Who on here is going to get amongst it ?

NZ Racing is back and looks like it going to press on to better things next year !

I thought for the first time in a few years the fields are a bit on the ho hum side , usually some decent match ups but take out the hype & the amazing Legarto & there isn't a lot of substance there.

• Champ Post 1

7 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Come on guys ,I know its very hard to admit that this day is the best.....

I thought Kumara was really special.

A major plus for the modern generation is they dont want to spend the whole day on a racetrack.

You contradict yourself.  You said racing was a TV sport.

Official times out tomorrow but the days 6 races will only take  some 4 hours ...4 to 8pm.

Enough time for 8 races if run efficiently.

They'll be there before the first and will be still there well after the last.  So given the right bribes the young generation will be there for a day out.  Just as they were at Kumara (without the bribes).

Who on here is going to get amongst it ?

I'd love to go and take my daughter and reintroduce her to the sport of racing.  However I don't belong to the BGP so can't get tickets through them and I don't belong to the elite breeding, training and ownership group such as yourself.  The latte lot probably get in free.

Actually the whole event excludes a potential new group of participants.  I guess Kumara gets that part right.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

You a funny , and at times bitter ,man Chief.......there are plenty of ways to get a ticket especially if you think about it in advance .Ask your daughter she will be aware of how to get to the movies , concerts , on the bus etc in the organised world which runs civilised events !

A day at the beach or a picnic outing beside the Grey river or at the Kumara showgrounds not so much. Tho they have had to up their spend on security to add some decorum !

Impressively Kumara continue to 'justify' their 'iconic raceday' rating which keeps Coast circuit on Calendar and they can still find enough trainers to cart 75 horses over there to race. But I can't see any Group 1 days being diverted to the Coast anytime soon.

Assuming you seriously want your daughter to develop a love of racing  then what other meetings do you wish to take her to! The fun at Kumara will be hard to match , cant think of too many others which will impress.Possibly the tarted up boys at Karaka Day may take her fancy with a bit of Mumm champers to cheer her up further. Try her out ,it may not be too late for Saturday, ring your fellow coastie Leo , he in the know !

It is mean't to be the sport of Kings ,afterall !

Good to see you got the noble count from the gypies ticking your cynicism !

1 minute ago, TAB For Ever said:

You a funny , and at times bitter ,man Chief.......there are plenty of ways to get a ticket especially if you think about it in advance .Ask your daughter she will be aware of how to get to the movies , concerts , on the bus etc in the organised world which runs civilised events !

Are you saying I live where it is disorganised and there are no civilised events?  Are you sure you didn't go to Christ College?

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are you saying I live where it is disorganised and there are no civilised events?  Are you sure you didn't go to Christ College?

Haha...FYI Christ's College has it's fair share of bad buggers , attending there doesn't guarantee anything !

I find it interesting that internet trolls who maybe give the impression they interested in NZ racing and have the ideas and passion to see it excel into the future , spend their time on line cynically putting the boot into it which flies in the face of what they setting out to achieve. 

Realistically what would you personally like to see in NZ racing ,given NZ's size , our closeness to Australia , current governance requirements and Racings relevance to the average Kiwis life !

If you suddenly thrust into an influential position , and could cast aside your bitterness, personal bias and 'me against the world' mentality .....how would you run NZ Racing ?

On 19/01/2024 at 12:05 PM, TAB For Ever said:

Only a few more days then attention will turn to the PRESENT !

Karaka Million....please if you not booked to go ,then make an effort.

Gonna be memorable.

Best race day in NZ by a country mile......the only meeting better than NZ Trotting Cup day. 

A bit ahead of Kumara , Kurow , Kaikoura , Reefton , Nelson ....beats them all.

The best Horses [ some Aussie ] ,the best jockeys [ some Aussie ,if Air Nz can process them qick enough and they get thru the traffic around the Malls ] the best track , and best facilities and BGP kicking up a storm.

Young people punting big , the fillies looking gorgeous , the roses are out , new railings !

Just great !

What a load of twaddle!!  Its a day setup up to hype up spenders at the yearling sales. Anyway it will rain so heavily flooding out the place. Make sure you get your COVID booster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

It is mean't to be the sport of Kings ,afterall !

Love it . Is probably the ONLY sport world -wide that is enjoyed by many Kings. The scene's at Dubai , and Newmarket and Hong Kong with Shiehks, the late Queen and the richest of rich Asians at the HKJC . and they mix with the poorest of the poor with-in the racing industry (with Stablehand seen as the most Rudimentary of career options. fantastic. 

All of us in-betweeners can sure enjoy the middle road of great racing and the absolutely beautiful animals that run hard for our entertainment , whether it be at Kumara, Kilcoy , Birdsville, Ellerslie or Royal Randwick or Royal Ascot. and if you can't get there, lap it up on the tele !!!! brilliant . 

Isn't racing life great ! I'm working on plans to improve harness now, and have made great ground in Queensland. Hope NZHR can keep up with the solid Pace being set ....  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Centaur said:

What a load of twaddle!!  Its a day setup up to hype up spenders at the yearling sales. Anyway it will rain so heavily flooding out the place. Make sure you get your COVID booster.

Total agree..... having people spend big time at Sales helps everyone , the breeders ,the trainers the jockeys ,the thousands of stable wortkers ,admin staff ,gardeners , vets ,transporters etc etc

The govt gets the tax , NZ gets a mention overseas other than via our yachties , sports stars ,honey and smiling PM's.

Whats wrong with that  ?.....the money keeps the world spinning. 

A small sector of NZ folk get great enjoyment out of NZ racing still........all those involved cover a huge cross section of society.Racing tomorrow will be a wide cross section of society. The horses owned by racing roylaty ,judges , ex jockeys , storemen ,cleaners and many ma and pas in the big tangerine syndicates which is being duplicated by many trainers now.

And the big money owners started with nothing....the big chief PVela was a fisherman in a dinghy and hanger made widgets in a garage while living under a bridge. They now tall poppies. They create , we cry !

And as they battled away to survive ,you earned a good living off the industry they have maintained...you been in racing a lifetime ,doing stuff for bookmakers and others for a lifetime !  Why you bitter ?

• Champ Post 1

17 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Haha...FYI Christ's College has it's fair share of bad buggers , attending there doesn't guarantee anything !

I find it interesting that internet trolls who maybe give the impression they interested in NZ racing and have the ideas and passion to see it excel into the future , spend their time on line cynically putting the boot into it which flies in the face of what they setting out to achieve. 

Realistically what would you personally like to see in NZ racing ,given NZ's size , our closeness to Australia , current governance requirements and Racings relevance to the average Kiwis life !

If you suddenly thrust into an influential position , and could cast aside your bitterness, personal bias and 'me against the world' mentality .....how would you run NZ Racing ?

According to Sam Neill who was a student at Christ's College the majority of those that went there were inbreds.

15 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Love it . Is probably the ONLY sport world -wide that is enjoyed by many Kings. The scene's at Dubai , and Newmarket and Hong Kong with Shiehks, the late Queen and the richest of rich Asians at the HKJC . and they mix with the poorest of the poor with-in the racing industry (with Stablehand seen as the most Rudimentary of career options. fantastic. 

All of us in-betweeners can sure enjoy the middle road of great racing and the absolutely beautiful animals that run hard for our entertainment , whether it be at Kumara, Kilcoy , Birdsville, Ellerslie or Royal Randwick or Royal Ascot. and if you can't get there, lap it up on the tele !!!! brilliant . 

Isn't racing life great ! I'm working on plans to improve harness now, and have made great ground in Queensland. Hope NZHR can keep up with the solid Pace being set ....  

Bang on Gammalite......keep up the good fight !

27 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

The Christ College reference was mainly because of your patronising sense of superiority!

With regard to how I would run NZ Racing I suggest your actually read some of my posts.  For the last 15 years online I have been lobbying for better safer tracks for our horses and Jockey's.  That is the priority!  I vehemently oppose the closing down of good quality tracks for no other reason to feed the metro tracks largesse for wasting money.

I've argued that throwing stakes at the top end won't help rejuvenate racing in NZ - stakes disproportinately favour the top end and subsequently we have fewer and fewer horses feeding through from the bottom up.  Hence the lowering of quality in our race fields which ultimately leads to less attractive fields to punt on which leads to less revenue.

Essentially I'm suggesting to do the opposite of what has been tried for the last 25 years!  Why?  Because it isn't working.  I see nothing in what Entain is doing that will fundamentally fix the key issues.  Again it is throwing revenue around that will only benefit the already elite.

I've had a lot of skin in the game over the years.  My first horse I attended every one of her 52 starts.  I've successfully bred horses but woke up one day when a horse that cost me next to nothing to breed (yep by a dud sire out of mare saved off the back of a knackers track) had not been out of the money in 15 starts including 4 wins in one season and we were still in the red.  

BTW I'm not bitter nor jealous of the big fish.  Hell many many times on BOAY I have been accused of brown nosing the Tangerine or being part of the mafia.  I applaud excellence when I see it and I'm not scared to do so.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

10 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

.the big chief PVela was a fisherman in a dinghy and hanger made widgets in a garage while living under a bridge.

So what is Big Chief Vela contributing to the NZB Kiwi which his company appears to have naming rights for?

50 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Total agree..... having people spend big time at Sales helps everyone , the breeders ,the trainers the jockeys ,the thousands of stable wortkers ,admin staff ,gardeners , vets ,transporters etc etc

The govt gets the tax , NZ gets a mention overseas other than via our yachties , sports stars ,honey and smiling PM's.

Whats wrong with that  ?.....the money keeps the world spinning. 

A small sector of NZ folk get great enjoyment out of NZ racing still........all those involved cover a huge cross section of society.Racing tomorrow will be a wide cross section of society. The horses owned by racing roylaty ,judges , ex jockeys , storemen ,cleaners and many ma and pas in the big tangerine syndicates which is being duplicated by many trainers now.

And the big money owners started with nothing....the big chief PVela was a fisherman in a dinghy and hanger made widgets in a garage while living under a bridge. They now tall poppies. They create , we cry !

And as they battled away to survive ,you earned a good living off the industry they have maintained...you been in racing a lifetime ,doing stuff for bookmakers and others for a lifetime !  Why you bitter ?

'And the big money owners started with nothing....the big chief PVela was a fisherman in a dinghy and hanger made widgets in a garage while living under a bridge. They now tall poppies.'-Ripley's...believe it....or not!😄

• Champ Post 1

48 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

'And the big money owners started with nothing....the big chief PVela was a fisherman in a dinghy and hanger made widgets in a garage while living under a bridge. They now tall poppies.'-Ripley's...believe it....or not!😄

I realise that it is a novel concept for you as a communist that people can start with SFA and become successful.  Vela's father was a Croatian immigrant in the 1920's.  I would say he came here with the shirt on his back.  They had some luck along the way but if they were anything like the Dallies I know they would have been hard working types.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I realise that it is a novel concept for you as a communist that people can start with SFA and become successful.  Vela's father was a Croatian immigrant in the 1920's.  I would say he came here with the shirt on his back.  They had some luck along the way but if they were anything like the Dallies I know they would have been hard working types.

Just conjecture...as usual no substance.

Don't you realise how many billionaires there are in communist countries?

11 hours ago, Huey said:

I thought for the first time in a few years the fields are a bit on the ho hum side , usually some decent match ups but take out the hype & the amazing Legarto & there isn't a lot of substance there.

The fields look great in my opinion.  That first race is a ripper.  Will be really interesting to see how the StrathAyr plays.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

The fields look great in my opinion.  That first race is a ripper.  Will be really interesting to see how the StrathAyr plays.

Compared to previous years there doesn't seem to be the matchups there has been in the past.