Bit Of A Yarn

Karaka Millions - the best raceday in NZ!

10 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Haha...FYI Christ's College has it's fair share of bad buggers , attending there doesn't guarantee anything !

I find it interesting that internet trolls who maybe give the impression they interested in NZ racing and have the ideas and passion to see it excel into the future , spend their time on line cynically putting the boot into it which flies in the face of what they setting out to achieve. 

Realistically what would you personally like to see in NZ racing ,given NZ's size , our closeness to Australia , current governance requirements and Racings relevance to the average Kiwis life !

If you suddenly thrust into an influential position , and could cast aside your bitterness, personal bias and 'me against the world' mentality .....how would you run NZ Racing ?

Look after the grass roots guys  , many of us don't have the horsepower to target major meetings anymore, so stakes spread across the board would be more beneficial to helping us survive, after all, we are the trainers &track riders that have propped up &supported the overseas market for a very long time, 

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 3

7 hours ago, Extra Dollars said:

Look after the grass roots guys  , many of us don't have the horsepower to target major meetings anymore, so stakes spread across the board would be more beneficial to helping us survive, after all, we are the trainers &track riders that have propped up &supported the overseas market for a very long time, 

The dummies have never realised this, ignoring the foundations of the industry has led to the staffing crisis that exist now and will worsen considerably more so in the future.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Huey said:

The dummies have never realised this, ignoring the foundations of the industry has led to the staffing crisis that exist now and will worsen considerably more so in the future.

I suggest a new jockey fee structure for any race above $499,000 in stakes. Half the jockey percentage with the other half going to the regular rider if that jockey not riding in that race and able to do so. This will still enable overseas riders but won't upset locals.

23 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

I suggest a new jockey fee structure for any race above $499,000 in stakes. Half the jockey percentage with the other half going to the regular rider if that jockey not riding in that race and able to do so. This will still enable overseas riders but won't upset locals.

Be interesting to see how many jockeys would support that idea.

4 hours ago, curious said:

Probably wasn't leaked per se. Owners would have known (and there's 13 of them) and probably told others. No conspiracy. Or, do you mean did the troughs leak?

So those that needed to know were officially told I.e. no conspiracy.

Find it strange that owners would take to gossiping on social media though.

46 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Is that kind of like a dole scheme for average Jockey's?  How would you define "regular"? 

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Don't agree. 

Excellence should be rewarded, and loyalty goes both ways.

Those jockeys who might be feeling aggrieved would, in most cases, think nothing of getting off a regular mount for something they think is a better chance.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

42 minutes ago, Freda said:

Those jockeys who might be feeling aggrieved would, in most cases, think nothing of getting off a regular mount for something they think is a better chance.

Only too true.  Many of those have "Agents"!  Of course they would be happy to clip the ticket on a no-ride bonus!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:04 PM, Chief Stipe said:

The Christ College reference was mainly because of your patronising sense of superiority!

With regard to how I would run NZ Racing I suggest your actually read some of my posts.  For the last 15 years online I have been lobbying for better safer tracks for our horses and Jockey's.  That is the priority!  I vehemently oppose the closing down of good quality tracks for no other reason to feed the metro tracks largesse for wasting money.

I've argued that throwing stakes at the top end won't help rejuvenate racing in NZ - stakes disproportinately favour the top end and subsequently we have fewer and fewer horses feeding through from the bottom up.  Hence the lowering of quality in our race fields which ultimately leads to less attractive fields to punt on which leads to less revenue.

Essentially I'm suggesting to do the opposite of what has been tried for the last 25 years!  Why?  Because it isn't working.  I see nothing in what Entain is doing that will fundamentally fix the key issues.  Again it is throwing revenue around that will only benefit the already elite.

I've had a lot of skin in the game over the years.  My first horse I attended every one of her 52 starts.  I've successfully bred horses but woke up one day when a horse that cost me next to nothing to breed (yep by a dud sire out of mare saved off the back of a knackers track) had not been out of the money in 15 starts including 4 wins in one season and we were still in the red.  

BTW I'm not bitter nor jealous of the big fish.  Hell many many times on BOAY I have been accused of brown nosing the Tangerine or being part of the mafia.  I applaud excellence when I see it and I'm not scared to do so.

Firstly Chief I suspect you wiped one of my posts ...a reply to the small trainer/track rider re  getting more recognition in the industry. Unsure why you would do this as I thought it a good post ,quite helpful !

I been reading your posts for well over 10 years but only felt the need  to reply recently when I could see you were very biased and needed a bit of balance. Your main supporters are very regular and I guess you scare away anyone who disagrees. You and your tag team soon labelled me as a novice to racing then quickly moved on to veiled insults like Cost Accountant ,Christs College boy and now a patronising sense of superiority.

You  a funny man Chief , you admit to being a cynic....maybe a man who knows the price of everything , but the value of nothing.

As I was raised on a diet of small Southern tracks pottering around with owner/trainers and hobby trainers we probably crossed paths a few times

You stating your CV above was interesting  ...battling with slow horses and non-commercial breeding and then into running and controlling Racing websites. Unsure if taking your daughter to the Kumara races is the ideal place for her to develop a love of horses but quite a warm fuzzy story. 

I think many have questioned whether the Entain thing can last ,but they certainly giving it their best shot . Racing certainly is having a huge amount of coverage on National news and Advertising wherever. With pokies likely to be phased out in future and greyhounds kicked to touch the NZ Racing industry sure needs more account holders wagering more at a decent profit.

And you not the only one who thought stakes increases should have been spent elsewhere eg on tracks and infrastructure but NZ's stakes have been pathetic for decades and this ailment has been terminal so usually the most essential need at the time. THe chance of winning a $1m or even $2m race certainly had more appeal than racing for bag of kumaras. I have an article when Jim Gibbs retired in 2004. He was already sending his best horses eg Vinaka to Singapore to race. He said action was needed pronto on Stakes and Tracks His Auckland Cup win was worth $500k in 1989 with Spyglass. It was $350k in 2004 ! And he emphasised decent drainage and tracks. Few listened.

Then when Racing started falling behind with its personal bias Amateur leadership while Professionalism took over rival entertainment sports/businesses Racing got Neilson to research NZ about the country's top 6 sports ,Racing received a big shock when it found it a  long  and lonely last !

41% thought NZ racing was corrupt , ditto a problem with drugs. Only 25% thought NZ racing acted respnsponsibly and ethically.

Only 16% had a positive overall impression of racing and wagering.   Of course this led to the costly set up of the RIU .

These $millions could have gone to better use......who do we blame for this ?

• Champ Post 1
  • Fake News! 1

6 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Firstly Chief I suspect you wiped one of my posts ...a reply to the small trainer/track rider re  getting more recognition in the industry. Unsure why you would do this as I thought it a good post ,quite helpful !

I been reading your posts for well over 10 years but only felt the need  to reply recently when I could see you were very biased and needed a bit of balance. Your main supporters are very regular and I guess you scare away anyone who disagrees. You and your tag team soon labelled me as a novice to racing then quickly moved on to veiled insults like Cost Accountant ,Christs College boy and now a patronising sense of superiority.

You  a funny man Chief , you admit to being a cynic....maybe a man who knows the price of everything , but the value of nothing.

As I was raised on a diet of small Southern tracks pottering around with owner/trainers and hobby trainers we probably crossed paths a few times

You stating your CV above was interesting  ...battling with slow horses and non-commercial breeding and then into running and controlling Racing websites. Unsure if taking your daughter to the Kumara races is the ideal place for her to develop a love of horses but quite a warm fuzzy story. 

I think many have questioned whether the Entain thing can last ,but they certainly giving it their best shot . Racing certainly is having a huge amount of coverage on National news and Advertising wherever. With pokies likely to be phased out in future and greyhounds kicked to touch the NZ Racing industry sure needs more account holders wagering more at a decent profit.

And you not the only one who thought stakes increases should have been spent elsewhere eg on tracks and infrastructure but NZ's stakes have been pathetic for decades and this ailment has been terminal so usually the most essential need at the time. THe chance of winning a $1m or even $2m race certainly had more appeal than racing for bag of kumaras. I have an article when Jim Gibbs retired in 2004. He was already sending his best horses eg Vinaka to Singapore to race. He said action was needed pronto on Stakes and Tracks His Auckland Cup win was worth $500k in 1989 with Spyglass. It was $350k in 2004 ! And he emphasised decent drainage and tracks. Few listened.

Then when Racing started falling behind with its personal bias Amateur leadership while Professionalism took over rival entertainment sports/businesses Racing got Neilson to research NZ about the country's top 6 sports ,Racing received a big shock when it found it a  long  and lonely last !

41% thought NZ racing was corrupt , ditto a problem with drugs. Only 25% thought NZ racing acted respnsponsibly and ethically.

Only 16% had a positive overall impression of racing and wagering.   Of course this led to the costly set up of the RIU .

These $millions could have gone to better use......who do we blame for this ?

Useless,seat warming ,old boy network admin....more interested in a cushy sinecure than the long term health of the ....industry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I NEVER delete a post on BOAY.  I hide some that have crossed the line of decency e.g. personal foul abuse.  Some Topics that degenerate to a slanging match I move to The Vent forum - there are a few of @Thomass 's in there.  But I NEVER EVER delete a post.

So none of your posts have been deleted NOR hidden.  I'm not surprised you have forgotten  which Topic you posted it in - lost somewhere in the marketing spiels?

• Haha 3
  • Bad Post 1

22 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Those Jocks are only getting some of their own medicine , it might be good for them. 

They don't mind shafting the little guy for the very people who are shafting it to them at Ellerslie tomorrow night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huey said:

Those Jocks are only getting some of their own medicine , it might be good for them. 

They don't mind shafting the little guy for the very people who are shafting it to them at Ellerslie tomorrow night.

I am sure most owner trainers with one or two horses have heard a licensed trainer say "if you want your horse ridden in trackwork then put my apprentice on for raceday". Similarly owners will tell the trainer "you want my horses then put the best jockey on." Racing PR people love to promote the overseas angle. So it goes on meaning new participants e.g. jockeys or owner/trainers are discouraged from the industry. Its not a level playing field. I guess it never was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I am sure most owner trainers with one or two horses have heard a licensed trainer say "if you want your horse ridden in trackwork then put my apprentice on for raceday". Similarly owners will tell the trainer "you want my horses then put the best jockey on." Racing PR people love to promote the overseas angle. So it goes on meaning new participants e.g. jockeys or owner/trainers are discouraged from the industry. Its not a level playing field. I guess it never was.

So once you get past Bosson, McNab, Kennedy, maybe Cameron or Pinn would you turn down MacDonald, Shinn or Kah?  Or any of about 20+ OZ Jockeys.

6 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Especially not when you have jocks on retainers like several do.