Bit Of A Yarn

Hastings Off

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Fake News post.  Messara used multiple criteria when assessing Racecourses.  Some of the tracks he failed were failed on the basis that they didn't have adequate hospitality facilities (in his opinion) NOT because the track was crap.

Some very good turf trqcks have been closed down  or starved of race meetings effectively closing them down.  For example Foxton.

Meanwhile we see an abandonment at a track that has had work on it!  Are you proposing the close Hastings down?  Probably could have raced safely at Wairoa or Waipukurau.

Messara report stated when released in 2018.........NZ does NOT have ONE track with a high quality racing surface !

And NO ,Hastings would obviously be a track redeveloped......it well situated ,its facilities etc have an OK base and the area has a horse population. It's part of the future.

Ongoing bemoaning the past does no body any good...crying about tracks that have closed is..." a Dynamic of an earlier era "  JM

5 hours ago, Freda said:

So, in my memory, we have had [ here in the south ]  Wyndham, Waikouaiti,  Winton, Tapanui, Beaumont, Waimate, Amberley, Rangiora, Blenheim, Nelson, Westport, Hokitika, Motukarara tracks all no longer raced upon.   Hororata a bit before my time.

In all this 'rationalisation'  where are the savings?  the benefits?    In all this  'too many tracks'  dogma,  I haven't seen any specific figures to convince us that the right decisions have been made.

In the last twenty years, NZ racing has been steadily losing ground and revenue has fallen at a faster rate than ever before.  At one time, racing actually paid its way - and tax too.

It should be absolutely flying with all those burdensome country tracks no longer needing funding.

Same old nonsense spouted by people who know nothing about how the industry works.

There are no savings,there are no benefits in closing down venues the industry is a fluid animal not a stagnant pole and it needs all the tracks and resources it can get.

You'd think that would be obvious by now , but unfortunately it isn't.

We had one of the worse CEO of NZracing a few years back who spouted this very nonsense .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Ongoing bemoaning the past does no body any good...crying about tracks that have closed is..." a Dynamic of an earlier era "  JM

You say this the day after one of the chosen venues has fallen over again, in fact on numerous occasions this venue amongst several of the other chosen venues. 

Youre showing yourself to be ignorant of the machinations of the industry by coming on here spouting this dribble, most of us have heard it all before and its just complete nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Same old nonsense spouted by people who know nothing about how the industry works.

There are no savings,there are no benefits in closing down venues the industry is a fluid animal not a stagnant pole and it needs all the tracks and resources it can get.

We had one of the worse CEO of NZracing a few years back who spouted this very nonsense .

Yep and they sure have stuffed Pukekohe and even Te Rapa while they bought Ellerslie up to speed.  If they had looked further afield than their navel...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huey said:

There are no savings, there are no benefits in closing down venues the industry is a fluid animal not a stagnant pole and it needs all the tracks and resources it can get.

I used to enjoy the Waipukarau meetings. A lovely well-kept course and their meetings attracted very good crowds. I was fortunate to have a horse win there and enjoyed a great "after match" to celebrate in the committee room.

Now they have to race at Hastings in front of miniscule crowd. Where is the benefit in that? 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

40 minutes ago, Bloke said:

I used to enjoy the Waipukarau meetings. A lovely well-kept course and their meetings attracted very good crowds. I was fortunate to have a horse win there and enjoyed a great "after match" to celebrate in the committee room.

Now they have to race at Hastings in front of miniscule crowd. Where is the benefit in that? 

Well supposedly Messara walked the Waipuk track and said it wasn't up to scratch.  I wonder how many tracks he did visit...let me guess...

1 hour ago, Bloke said:

There isn't any , its all smoke and mirrors . That Waipuk meeting has lost all of its character and charm since moving to Hastings, just another meeting now or more to the point a nothing meeting. 

• Like 2

Were I to put up a proposal today  to reduce racetracks by 30% and guarantee real money will be put into the infrastructure of the remaining tracks I will get 100% percent buy in with the one proviso "As long as it is not our track". A century old conundrum. NZTR need to grow a spine and say these are our Premier, 2nd tier and country tracks, sort out the calendar/pattern once and for all, accepting there is a Hungry beast called Karaka. The track infrastructure must be rolled out in a defined order. No more Hastings nonsense where our premier spring track fails last decade and then fails worse this summer. So much for "this will not happen again". We can not afford key executive personnel to 'cruise' over the next 18 months. We require genuine leadership with precise direction and decision making. Entain gives us 5 years of stake increases and marketing momentum. Make the most of that and at the very least that will leave the industry with a network of top class tracks that will be a pleasure to visit and race on in the 2030's  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wingman said:

Good sentiments, W.  But most of what you suggest has been harped upon for years.  Decades.  Upgrading tracks on a rotational basis?  suggested repeatedly, but hasn't happened.   Key executive personnel should stop 'cruising' .   Yeah.  When might that happen?

The identifying of 'key' tracks hasn't gone too well either.  Only two days ago the most recent example of that.

As for Entain's money and marketing expertise - wonderful.  A beacon of hope.    But it would be better if the advice/direction wasn't still coming from a body that has repeatedly shown that it isn't up to the task.

Just more of the same.  Throw the money at stakes and leave the infrastructure as it is.     Don't forget that the Ellerslie development is a private, club-initiated one.  Not an NZTR plan, although of course they will support it.

10 hours ago, Wingman said:

Were I to put up a proposal today  to reduce racetracks by 30% and guarantee real money will be put into the infrastructure of the remaining tracks I will get 100% percent buy in with the one proviso "As long as it is not our track". A century old conundrum. NZTR need to grow a spine and say these are our Premier, 2nd tier and country tracks, sort out the calendar/pattern once and for all, accepting there is a Hungry beast called Karaka. The track infrastructure must be rolled out in a defined order. No more Hastings nonsense where our premier spring track fails last decade and then fails worse this summer. So much for "this will not happen again". We can not afford key executive personnel to 'cruise' over the next 18 months. We require genuine leadership with precise direction and decision making. Entain gives us 5 years of stake increases and marketing momentum. Make the most of that and at the very least that will leave the industry with a network of top class tracks that will be a pleasure to visit and race on in the 2030's  

The trouble is the wrong tracks are identified, there is no equitable or fair manner undertaken. 

The tracks are chosen based on nothing more than nepotism in the training & breeding ranks.

• Like 4

There will always be disagreement about 'which' tracks get the green light and regardless of the fact that this has been dragged out for decades doesn't mean you should roll over and mutter 'racing sucks'. It certainly will suck however if there is not real planning now for this decade. Ellerslie, Te Aroha, done and Awapuni underway. If they stop there then there is a hidden plan but discarding the conspiracy theories that logically leaves Trentham, Hastings and Riccarton. Then 2nd tier tracks who will have been identified as essential will then get attention. By this time, I always an optimist, will note the calendar/pattern has been sorted and pigs will be spotted flying with ducks by Freda.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huey said:

The trouble is the wrong tracks are identified, there is no equitable or fair manner undertaken. 

The tracks are chosen based on nothing more than nepotism in the training & breeding ranks.

And there is no proof that closing tracks actually saves money. There has never been a single fact presented to show how much better off the industry is having abandoned Motukarara and Waikouaiti. Sure, stakes have increased by almost $200,000 for each of those two meetings, but has that been funded by increased turnover and the massive savings from racing at Riccarton and Wingatui?

How hard would it be to present a cost saving breakdown for those two meetings? Surely it would help to convince a lot of people that the rationalisation is well justified and a no brainer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

How hard would it be to present a cost saving breakdown for those two meetings? Surely it would help to convince a lot of people that the rationalisation is well justified and a no brainer.

Not presented cause it simply isn't what they want it to be.

• Like 1