Bit Of A Yarn

Phrases to hate

pete

Just now, pete said:

"And then you'll be joined by Marc Cookson in Auckland for a stellar afternoon of racing"

Don't go Matt. Please stayýyyyyyyy...........

yes that mute button is worth its weight in gold...no Peter Early there, no Cameron Shaw, no Mark Clay-dough, no MumbleBumble Sweeney, just the commentary when the race begins...thank Mr Inventor of Mute Button

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dark Beau said:

I believe Glyn Tucker first used the word “penultimate” in racing, way back when racing was on TV 1. Last century it was, from memory. 

I'd challenge you DB to mention one good thing that happened in racing that didn't happen last century:)

• Haha 1

A "serious racehorse"??

(As distinct from a jokey, hardcase horse.who takes the mickey out of his mates, never does his homework and just goes to the races to eat his lunch).

I don't mind it actually .. it just makes me smile ..

Edited by jess
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And one of my alltime hated phrases ..."going forward"

Most often used in a context in which there is no other direction to be heading!

Just a redundant little pair of words which people somehow think adds meaning or gravitas to whatever they are saying. Funny really when it has a reverse effect on me. I'm inclined to disregard anything which is said or written in a sentence alongside these 2 words and have been known to delete emails without even reading the rest of them once I encounter the phrase. So far this approach has served me well because most people using the phrase are idiots.