Bit Of A Yarn

Melbourne Cup Memories - Musings of Mustelid Maximus

Weasel

Ok BOAYERS ... since we're all counting down the hours to The Race We Used To Win A Lot Before The Billionaires Took It Over ...

name your top three memories of Melbourne Cups past, not necessarily the winners ..and a brief-ish explanation. Here's mine:

• Kiwi. No explanation needed.
  • Subzero. Derby Day had been gorgeous, 29 degrees; froze my buns off in the Hill Stand the next Tuesday watching the aptly-named grey win when the temp never got past 9 degrees.
  • Just A Dash. was seated in the stand 30 mins before the race, all bets on; realised I'd not backed JAD.. Took off to the ring. Watched the race on a TV screen with the race going on over my shoulder!!

Empire Rose - big girl who could hardly fit in the stalls.  Real shitty will to win.  Tried to take a hunk out of Na Botto (sp?).  Ran 3rd in Melbourne Cup (not the year it won) and came back and won the NZ Galloping Cup.  Trifectas hadn't long been in play here and was at Riccarton and won $1,200.

Kiwi - no more to be said.

Van Der Hum - wet track and ridden by the best 2 miler jockey ever.  Bob Skelton.

Ok breaking Weasels rules but this one is for my father who's love for racing horses was passed onto me.

He went to his one and only Melbourne Cup in 1970.  Backed a kiwi bred grey called Baghdad Note ridden by Midge Didham.  Duty Free was a bargain those days.

5 minutes ago, hesi said:

Silver Knight and Magnifique, 2 names that will forever be etched in my memory, as horses that got me interested in racing, especially Silver Knight

me too Hesi...remember running home from school bus yard to catch the last 400m on TV, with my Mum shouting "Hurry up...it's on!!"

Dropped the school bag on the spot and made it just in time !

Well although not a great fan of TB,s one of my most endearing memorys was of a Kiwi  horse that ran 3rd. Karu. (cant remember what year)

The owners were friends of my sister and I had met them a couple of times. They  owned a textile factory in Levin, if my memory serves me right.  To have a horse in the race at all was special and memorable on its own. But the horse finished 3rd and for small town owners it was like winning Lotto. Sis said they celebrated for days. 

Sometimes the back story of placegetters and their connections illicit s more emotion than the winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Well although not a great fan of TB,s one of my most endearing memorys was of a Kiwi  horse that ran 3rd. Karu. (cant remember what year)

The owners were friends of my sister and I had met them a couple of times. They  owned a textile factory in Levin, if my memory serves me right.  To have a horse in the race at all was special and memorable on its own. But the horse finished 3rd and for small town owners it was like winning Lotto. Sis said they celebrated for days. 

Sometimes the back story of placegetters and their connections illicit s more emotion than the winner.

1978 Winner Arwon, Dandeleith 2nd, Karu 3rd