Bit Of A Yarn

Imperatriz retired from racing.

Imperatriz - 10x Group 1 Champion Retired | News

www.teakauracing.com

Imperatriz - 10x Group 1 Champion Retired

Date: 11 Apr 2024

image.png

It is with very mixed emotions that Te Akau Racing announces the retirement of our star mare and champion, Imperatriz.

Currently Imperatriz is rated as the No.1 sprinter in the world and No.2 overall on TRC Global Rankings.

In 2023, Imperatriz won more Group 1 races (6) than any other horse in the world!

Her 2023/24 season has also been nothing short of stellar … with five Group 1 victories in Australia, taking her career tally to ten elite titles. She also recorded a Group 2 win in Australia where she set a new track record, and at her next start broke the very record she had just set.

Imperatriz also became the first horse to ever win the MVRC Group 1 Sprint Triple Crown - effectively twice - in both a calendar year (2023) and a racing season (2023/24).

Winning both starts as a two-year-old, including the Group 2 Eclipse Stakes, Imperatriz won two Group 1’s over a mile at three to be named New Zealand’s Champion Three-Year-Old. She then added three Group 1’s as a four-year-old to claim the title of New Zealand’s Champion Sprinter/Miler, and in more recent times has made her mark trans-Tasman, lauded by many commentators as the best sprinter in Australia.

She set track records at Moonee Valley, then conquered the Flemington straight with Group 1 wins in both the Champions’ Sprint and the Black Caviar Lightning Handicap, the second highest rated sprint race in the world (2023 IFHA).

“Imperatriz has been a magnificent race mare, I loved her from the time I set eyes on her at the Magic Millions’ sale. What she has done since has firmly established her as one of the very best race mares Australasia has seen in recent times,” said David Ellis CNZM.

“From a filly that was the last to sell as a yearling, she became a Champion racehorse and when Karyn and I saw her win her second Group 1 William Reid at Moonee Valley last month, we couldn’t believe the crowd’s adulation for her, The Valley was a sea of tangerine,” Te Akau’s David Ellis CNZM said.

“Her tenacity, courage and sheer determination, combined with the sweetest nature you could imagine, have certainly won the hearts of fans worldwide. The joy she has brought to her owners is indescribable.”

Imperatriz won 19 of her 27 starts, including 10 of 13 since 1 January last year, and nearly NZ$7.6 million in prize money.

Last weekend, Imperatriz returned home to New Zealand, for a well-deserved break at Te Akau Stud. On her arrival, she underwent an in-depth veterinary ‘warrant of fitness’ to assess her well-being before spelling. Regrettably, these evaluations have led to the difficult but necessary decision to retire her from racing.

“Te Akau always puts the well-being of our horses first. The indications are that another high-level racing preparation would not be in her best interests, so whilst sad, the decision is very straightforward. Her welfare is our top priority, and she will retire a happy and sound horse,” David Ellis CNZM said.

Purchased by Ellis from the Magic Millions’ sale for A$360,000 (from the draft of Brim Thoroughbreds), Imperatriz is trained by Te Akau’s Mark Walker and Sam Bergerson, and has dominated the racing scene this season.

“Imperatriz was simply an incredible race horse - her determination and will to win was supreme. She has been remarkable flag bearer for Te Akau’s new Australian stable and we will be forever indebted to her. It has been such a privilege to train Berri, and she’s been an absolute pleasure by every measure,” said co-trainer Mark Walker.

We extend our deepest gratitude to her whole ‘family’ that simply adores her: her owners, Te Akau’s Stable and Stud teams in New Zealand and Cranbourne, with special mention to Te Akau Australia assistant trainer Ben Gleeson, her devoted strapper Jason Levin and track work rider Laura Winks - also Te Akau stable rider Opie Bosson ONZM who forged such a successful partnership with Berri.

As Imperatriz embarks on this new chapter, we reflect on her indelible legacy. We eagerly anticipate following her progeny and witnessing what the future holds. While her racing days have drawn to a close and the curtain has fallen, her spirit will continue to inspire and resonate with all who had the privilege of witnessing her greatness.

“She's a Berri, Berri good mare, and one that will we forever treasure.”

ENDS

For further information contact:

David Ellis CNZM

Te Akau Racing

+64 21 925151

david@teakauracing.com

Karyn Fenton-Ellis MNZM

Te Akau Racing

+64 21 598161

karyn@teakauracing.com

IMPERATRIZ - FACT SHEET

In addition to her racing exploits, Imperatriz has an exemplary pedigree to match.

Progeny by reigning Australian Champion Sire I Am Invincible (Invincible Spirit), who rose from an initial fee of $11,000 to now stand for $302,500, have been incredibly well sought after and, rightly, remain so. He leaves such athletic and sound horses, represented by over 100 individual stakes' winners.

Her dam sire Shamardal (Giant’s Causeway) left over 40 Group One winners worldwide and a sire of the highest class (previously third in the TRC Global World Sire Rankings) that is having incredible success now as a broodmare sire, while grand-dam sire Encosta de Lago (Fairy King) is a multiple champion sire, with over 50 Group One winners worldwide, and Champion Broodmare Sire in Australia. He is regarded as one of the greatest Australian-bred sires of all time.

Imperatriz carries a cross of immortal sire Northern Dancer, on the sire line of I Am Invincible and sire line of grand-dam Percussive (Encosta de Lago).

1st - A$3,000,000 GROUP 1 Darley Champions' Sprint WFA 1200m

1st - A$1,000,000 GROUP 1 Black Caviar Lightning Stakes WFA 1000m

1st - A$2,000,000 GROUP 1 Ladbrokes' Manikato Stakes WFA 1200m

1st - A$1,000,000 GROUP 1 William Reid Stakes 3YO+UP WFA 1200m (twice - 2023 & 2024)

1st - A$750,000 GROUP 1 Charter Keck Cramer Moir Stakes 3YO+ WFA 1000m (broke own track record)

1st - $300,000 GROUP 1 Sistema Railway Opn SW+P 1200m

1st - $300,000 GROUP 1 BCD Group Sprint WFA 1400m

1st - $260,000 GROUP 1 Levin Classic 3YO SW 1600m

1st - $220,000 GROUP 1 Fiber Fresh NZ Thoroughbred Breeders' Stakes WFA F&M 1600

1st - A$300,000 GROUP 2 McEwen Stakes WFA 1000m (track record)

1st - $180,000 GROUP 2 Westbury Classic F&M SW+P 1400m

1st - $120,000 GROUP 2 Waikato Stud Foxbridge Plate WFA 1200m

1st - $100,000 GROUP 2 Eclipse Stakes 2YO SW 1200m

1st - $80,000 GROUP 3 Northland Breeders' Stakes 3YO SW 1200m

1st - $80,000 GROUP 3 Soliloquy Stakes 3YOF SW 1400m

10 minutes ago, Huey said:

Top top horse, was really looking forward to seeing her in an Everest, but not to be . 

or even the Ultimate . Royal Ascot . in the hoof prints of the undefeated 'Black Caviar'.

And kiwi gents Mr Waller and 'Jmac' with an Everest winner 'Nature Strip' did the job too at Royal Ascot, in the Kings Stand.  really put Oz racing on the world map again. 

Imperatriz in front of the World , and putting NZ on the world map would of been wonderful . but sadly not to Be  .

maybe Orchestral will get up to World class stayer level for NZ ? . will be a great ride anyway.

5 hours ago, SLB2.0 said:

Seeing Orchestral overseas would be great. Imagine having a filly/mare of that quality and not seeing how she goes against the world's best in Europe/Asia.

Erhmm... Winx...

Why does it matter, the Euros can come down under and race them if they like. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Huey said:

Is it though, I mean the ultimate?

well you're showing off in front of the World if you can win at Royal Ascot . the Best of the Best and gets coverage not only UK , but America, France and all the Shiehks are there , trying to smack each other down with their Billions .

great that someone like Takeover target , Black Caviar and a handful of others from Down-under can turn up and spoil their party 👍. so the Ultimate 'Stage' it is . like the Academy Awards are for actors  😅🏆🏇

Edited by Gammalite

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

well you're showing off in front of the World if you can win at Royal Ascot . the Best of the Best and gets coverage not only UK , but America, France and all the Shiehks are there , trying to smack each other down with their Billions .

great that someone like Takeover target , Black Caviar and a handful of others from Down-under can turn up and spoil their party 👍. so the Ultimate 'Stage' it is . like the Academy Awards are for actors  😅🏆🏇

But why don't they come to the Southern Hemisphere?  The stakes are better and you don't need to wear a Morning Suit and Top Hat to the party!

22 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But why don't they come to the Southern Hemisphere?  The stakes are better and you don't need to wear a Morning Suit and Top Hat to the party!

they do Chief. we've been importing em' by the bucket load for years now.

Think tomorrow has only 2 Aussies in the Sydney Cup ( and 3 kiwi's 😉) Trainers poms Anabel Neesham and Eustace have joined the training ranks last few years with great results.

And who doesn't love a Dress-up party ? the Ladies go to great lengths to look fabulous on the big race-days and it's fantastic the boys make an effort too . I'd love to go along in a top hat . (beats the thing the Shiekhs are wearing anyway 😂)

My son recently went to a Sportsperson dress-up party and won a prize for best dressed lad. Gave him my Hot Pink racing silks and helmet to go along as a jockey. albeit  A 6 foot tall one 😆)

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Tradition. And old money will not let tradition die which is not such a bad thing for the thoroughbred industry  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Tradition. And old money will not let tradition die which is not such a bad thing for the thoroughbred industry  

Yes but in NZ we are selling out on tradition!   We'll we kept all the shit parts of Ellerslie.

• Haha 1

They don't come to Australia because their 3rd and 4th-rate stayers win some of the biggest Group 1 races down under.

Australia isn't where the best horses race, even though we would like to think so. There is an example every week of a terrible British stayer cleaning up some 1400-1600m race like it's track work.

Winx, of course, would have likely won wherever she went, but we will never know. Instead, she was largely racing against her stablemates every week, who were looking for 2400m. She had nothing left to prove in Australia, yet continued to race year after year, and it's not like the owners need the easy cash.

On 16/04/2024 at 11:21 PM, SLB2.0 said:

They don't come to Australia because their 3rd and 4th-rate stayers win some of the biggest Group 1 races down under.

Australia isn't where the best horses race, even though we would like to think so. There is an example every week of a terrible British stayer cleaning up some 1400-1600m race like it's track work.

Winx, of course, would have likely won wherever she went, but we will never know. Instead, she was largely racing against her stablemates every week, who were looking for 2400m. She had nothing left to prove in Australia, yet continued to race year after year, and it's not like the owners need the easy cash.

And countless examples of staying superstars coming to Aus and getting beaten, some of them grow a leg down under. 

Aus has the better sprinters the majority of the time.

4 hours ago, SLB2.0 said:

Can you give me an example of a staying superstar that failed in Australia?

Mamool

Oscar Schindler

Vinnie Roe

Simenon

Brown Panther

countless examples, I lost futures $$ on them all.

Brown Panther - I don't think running eighth in the Cup is a failure.

I'm meaning horses from Europe that come to Australian stables. Not hit and run missions.

If a horse like Baeed or Enable had come down under and failed to fire a shot during a lengthy campaign, then I would relinquish my opinion.

The Europeans who win in Australia are third rate at best. They're not even close to their best middle-distance/stayers. And they have 2500+ horses winning over 1400m in Australia.

1 hour ago, SLB2.0 said:

I'm meaning horses from Europe that come to Australian stables. Not hit and run missions.

If a horse like Baeed or Enable had come down under and failed to fire a shot during a lengthy campaign, then I would relinquish my opinion.

The Europeans who win in Australia are third rate at best. They're not even close to their best middle-distance/stayers. And they have 2500+ horses winning over 1400m in Australia.

All the aforementioned are G1 winners , what more do you want?

Enable like Frankel wouldn't come down to take on the Australian stars because they would have gotten soundly beaten, Frankel was only going to take the great mare on on his terms says it all.

1 hour ago, SLB2.0 said:

I'm sorry but I don't recall many MC 8th places being of note or recognition. 

You are now saying Enable and Frankel would be soundly beaten in Australia when random stayers you have never heard of take out Group 1's in Sydney?

Now, come on Huey. That's the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

5 hours ago, SLB2.0 said:

You are now saying Enable and Frankel would be soundly beaten in Australia when random stayers you have never heard of take out Group 1's in Sydney?

Now, come on Huey. That's the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

BC would have left Frankel for dead in Aus. Enable would also have been beaten, the randoms youre talking down to were all acclimatised to Aus. that would not have been the case for the former two youre speaking of, they would have done hit and runs much like BC did at Ascot . 

It's why the likes of BC,  Takeover etc deserve such high praise they left their front gate to take on the so called best available to race them.