Bit Of A Yarn

aardies express runs tonight at menagle

Aardies express makes its australian debut toinght in race 6,a $50,000 mares race.The former telfer trained mare now being trained by jack trainor.10.42p.m.

Interestingly,its price has drifted from $1.80 to currently $2.20.

Shes had 2 trials. The first she paced a bit rough like she may be a bit sore like she was over here. But then a week later came out and jogged a mile in 1.51.7. Her gait wasn't perfect but was a lot better than the week before.

probably the best mare to go to australia for a while,so it will be interesting to see how fluent her gait is and how dominant she can be.

going on her latest trial she should run 1.48 in second gear.

All the money seems to have come for a clayton tonkin trained horse,soho historia. I see its won 13 of 32 starts,although i've never heard of it myself.

I see in a preview of the 2 and 3 year old racing at melton tonight they refer to emma stewart as being the co trainer with clayton tonkin,although just his name seems to be the officail trainer. Not sure how that works. Does emma stewart still have a stay of penalty? 

Anyway,will aardies express show what she can do? Tonight will tell.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, the galah said:

I see in a preview of the 2 and 3 year old racing at melton tonight they refer to emma stewart as being the co trainer with clayton tonkin,although just his name seems to be the officail trainer. Not sure how that works. Does emma stewart still have a stay of penalty?

Emma did get  the 6 months DQ last year. somehow got  a stay for a few weeks approved, until her hearing date in March recently. But no-where has posted a result of that hearing? . Very poor really . just like they trying to hide it or something. Emma Still seems to be involved Heavily as has several chances in several  races worth Hundreds of thousands of 💰💰💰 tonight. she doesn't want to miss out on that  😂. maybe she got off?

hey watch out for old mate Grant tonight. This QLD bloke is pretty good in race 6 at Melton, FATE AWAITS. he's no Leap To fame or anything but bowling along well and won his 3 starts so far by a combined 20 lengths.  so he's popped down to Vic to try and nab another Big prize tonight.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sure enough Aardies express wins by a length in 1.48.9,after sitting 3 wide then without cover for the last 1000m. Just too good although was asked for the effort to do it.

The thing that surprised me was the price. I had thought $2 was great,but it ended up at $2.80 on the tote and $2.70 on the ff for a win. The money came for its stablemate manhattan which was the big shortener.

What was a bit of a shame was the mare still seemed to be a bit sore somewhere and jack trainor seemed to steer a wider path in the back straight as she had a tendency to move in on the bends.

A very good mare,just hope she handles the racing ok.

i though fate awaits went very good gammalite. Ran 3rd. But the couple of 2 year old races i saw were dominated by the clayton tonkin horses. What was interesting was how big a gaps there was between the winner ,then place getters,then the bulk of the field. 

7 of the first 9 races were won by horses paying $2.50 or under at melton. The other 2 races the winners paid just over $20,with the red hot favorites running a place. 

Edited by the galah

32 minutes ago, the galah said:

Sure enough Aardies express wins by a length in 1.48.9,after sitting 3 wide then without cover for the last 1000m. Just too good although was asked for the effort to do it.

That was super impressive. Good call on her winning Mr Galah. 55 half out of the gate with a death seat 54 second last 1/2 mile . just incredible they can run 1.49 miles like that and win easy these days. That one Aardie's Express will win plenty.  

Big spending Canadian millionaire owner Mike Tanev has a good one there for sure.

Think he sold 1/2 of the other one AardieByTheSeaside to the Bond Team in WA and it's gone over there. yet to start.

Interesting the other mare's race tonight went to the Queenslander.  'Girl from Rosedale' in 1.51.  after a few handy Brisbane runs for Ryan in Veivers in 1.53 lately.  picks up a win over Grimson and Trainor at Menangle ?   which is a bit of a surprise. they sure rattle along now. 

Grimson's 2 runners tonight both 2nd then  , to the QLDer visitor and the 'Express'  new arrival you pointed out.  that'll annoy him lol.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:00 PM, Gammalite said:

Think he sold 1/2 of the other one AardieByTheSeaside to the Bond Team in WA and it's gone over there. yet to start.

She did in fact start last Friday .

AardieByThe Seaside won first up easy enough in a $75,000 Fillies and mares open .

she had brilliant New Zealand form last year I see as well.  8 wins from 13 runs.

Any idea of the Sale price for a good mare like that ? 

(The million dollar plus Nullibor slot-race was run last Friday too in WA. Minstrel part owned by Robin and jackie Butt ran 2nd and picked up $200,000. ) winner was Kate Gath with last years Miracle Mile winner Catch A Wave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 2:01 PM, the galah said:

Anyway,will aardies express show what she can do? Tonight will tell.

She Can Do it . And do it impressively. 

What a performance last night !!  Rocketing home from the back of the field turning for home in a Group 1  $200,000 Queen Liz mile breaking the 1.50 barrier too.

Simply stunning , running down near the best mare in Australia in 'Ladies In Red' of Emma Stewarts. (Ladies in Red has won 25 races , 6 x 2nds from 32 starts and won a $million)

So how good is this NZ EXPRESS Train ? super good !!! kiwi lad Jack Trainor the new trainer/driver here for her , and boy is she gunna win some. Could beat Leap To Fame going like that.

(Post note: Mike Tanev other expensive purchase NZ horse 'AARDIEByTheSeaside' also won very easily in Perth on Friday night at her 2nd start there to go 2 for 2 in WA )

I think Team NZ Telfer should 'take a bow' and whoever prepared those 2 x  'Aardie" mares in NZ is extremely gifted and should get a HEAP of Credit. (and a few more horses to prepare) It's a shame Canadian millionaire Tanev bought them from NZ connections ( they miss out on the fun and glory for a few bucks)  with his endless budget and removed them from NZ , but those the breaks 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

She Can Do it . And do it impressively. 

What a performance last night !!  Rocketing home from the back of the field turning for home in a Group 1  $200,000 Queen Liz mile breaking the 1.50 barrier too.

Simply stunning , running down near the best mare in Australia in 'Ladies In Red' of Emma Stewarts. (Ladies in Red has won 25 races , 6 x 2nds from 32 starts and won a $million)

So how good is this NZ EXPRESS Train ? super good !!! kiwi lad Jack Trainor the new trainer/driver here for her , and boy is she gunna win some. Could beat Leap To Fame going like that.

(Post note: Mike Tanev other expensive purchase NZ horse 'AARDIEByTheSeaside' also won very easily in Perth on Friday night at her 2nd start there to go 2 for 2 in WA )

I think Team NZ Telfer should 'take a bow' and whoever prepared those 2 x  'Aardie" mares in NZ is extremely gifted and should get a HEAP of Credit. (and a few more horses to prepare) It's a shame Canadian millionaire Tanev bought them from NZ connections ( they miss out on the fun and glory for a few bucks)  with his endless budget and removed them from NZ , but those the breaks 🙄

her owner bought her off a gavel house on line auction for $30,500 when she was a yearling.

i think i read he had sent her to australia because he felt they may be able to train her a bit different to help her soreness. if you looked at her race here,especially when she warmed up,you could tell she was sore somewhere.I was always surprised she wasn't vet checked here but she sure raced well and really only got beaten when she hung bad, you would assume because of the soreness.Still looks that way in australia,just not as bad.Maybe shes still able to race there due to a combination of a better medication to numb the pain,different training and bigger track.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gammalite said:

It's a shame Canadian millionaire Tanev bought them from NZ connections ( they miss out on the fun and glory for a few bucks)  with his endless budget and removed them from NZ , but those the breaks 🙄

Mike Tanev raced both horses in NZ.

Pretty sure Aardie is his "Moniker"

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:53 AM, TAB For Ever said:

Aardiebytheseaside was originally a $1500 purchase as a yearling.

Well you could add on a couple of 00's to that now, at least,  to her value. Picked up $70k in her 2 WA starts already. 

As for 'AARDIE's Express' she picked up $136k in her 2 races so far at Menangle. and running blistering 1.48.9 mile too. She could be worth anything ?. 

wonder what the Aardie stands for ? that they name them?.

They're aardiely giving anything else a look in at the moment anyway 😁.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

wonder what the Aardie stands for ? that they name them?.

They're aardiely giving anything else a look in at the moment anyway 😁.

Dave di somma once did an interview with the canadian owner ,mike tanev and discussed the name aardie.

i just watched it again to answer your question.

He must have played a bit of baseball and his mates nicknamed him aardie because of his big nose. So aardie is the owners nickname.

Anyway,there used to be a cartoon series which featured a character called aardie the aardvark.

The aardvark is an actual animal with a tongue thats a foot long and obviously a big nose that eats termites and other insects and comes out at night and is from africa.They occasionally are shown on those widelife in africa shows. 

• Like 2