Bit Of A Yarn

$175 Mach Shard

big odds here on the QLD TAB. wonder what he paid there?

quite sensational to come from the back lie that and take the Win. a Best you can Get field too.

Barry has the last laugh over Marks stable yet againย ๐Ÿ˜. Nat got hung out to dry 3 wide the last lap with Don'r Stop Dreaming. Kango having a real crack for glory but not quite up to it shoved her out there.

He is turning into the ultimate 2nd Place getter !!ย 

Probably the first Group 1 win for Crystal Hackett . Congratulations young Lady !!!ย ๐Ÿ†

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

quite sensational to come from the back lie that and take the Win. a Best you can Get field too.

Barry has the last laugh over Marks stable yet againย ๐Ÿ˜. Nat got hung out to dry 3 wide the last lap with Don'r Stop Dreaming. Kango having a real crack for glory but not quite up to it shoved her out there.

Probably the first Group 1 win for Crystal Hackett . Congratulations young Lady !!!ย ๐Ÿ†

Paid $155 here in NZ.ย 
Staggering really, itโ€™s not like it had a cushy run and popped through to win.ย 
Came from last out wide and beat the best Aus/NZ horses.ย 
Makes you think at timesโ€ฆ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Fantastic race to watch live.....very competitive the entire way !

Katrina Purdon said in speech that the horse had character and just this morning was kicking in his box...very unusual to the point that she had a bet on him.

He was last at 800m ,not much closer at 400 and came very wide on turn.

Still spanked them !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Hard to make excuses for all the others when the winner come from the rear and finished like that. There are a lot of things about the end of the race that were unfamiliar to me yet another that was very familiar.ย 

I can't recall the last time a G1 winner at Alex Park paid in excess of $100. I remember Flight South beating Yulestar in the 2000 Auckland Cup and paying North of $100. I can't remember others but feel sure there will be. Truth is I can't remember many harness racing winners in any class of race at any track paying that sort of price. I remember a two race winner Count Tryax winning at Alex Park in 1977 and paying over $100. I had $2 on him :)ย 

I also struggle to recall the last time a G1 winner at Alex Park or any NZ track came from effectively last on the home turn to win?

What an epic thrill that must have been for young Crystal Hackett. Well done to her!

I'd wager the family will be reliving that thrilling moment for decades to come with an enormous amount of pride. I'm sure Barry Purdon like all other trainers remember every G1 winner they've trained but the win of Mach Shard will be right up there in his memories.

The only aspect of the G1 Taylor Mile result familiar to me was the trainers family name for the first three home.

1st.....Purdon

2nd...Purdon

3rd....Purdon

ย 

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=3E01CAA8-3ACF-420A-8D69-FA9879CBB922&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

ย 

Any truth in ATC renaming the race "The Purdon Mile"? :)ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Staggering really, itโ€™s not like it had a cushy run and popped through to win.ย 
Came from last out wide and beat the best Aus/NZ horses.ย 
Makes you think at timesโ€ฆ

Actually it did get a cushy run.ย  Gliding along at the rear doing nothing.ย  Gets a drag into the race to the top of the straight.ย  The front horses walked home in 29.ย  Merlin stuck on the slushy rail waiting for the passing lane.ย ย 

Mach Shard driven like it was a $150-1 longshot i.e. patiently at the back saved for the very last run.ย ย 

Obviously not many backed it!

8 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Never had a betโ€ฆ.just as well.ย 

If you had read the Stewards Report you would have seen there was pre-race blood and hair testing as well as the the three place getters in the Taylor Mile were swabbed.

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you had read the Stewards Report you would have seen there was pre-race blood and hair testing as well as the the three place getters in the Taylor Mile were swabbed.

Goodโ€ฆ. coz that result is hard to imagineย 

30 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Goodโ€ฆ. coz that result is hard to imagineย 

You don't have to imagine it - it happened.

Not exactly a mug horse as it's won over $750k and broken 1:50 for a mile.ย  Including a Grp 1 in OZ.

As I said it got a very soft run early, got a drag into the race and they ran home in 29.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You don't have to imagine it - it happened.

Not exactly a mug horse as it's won over $750k and broken 1:50 for a mile.ย  Including a Grp 1 in OZ.

As I said it got a very soft run early, got a drag into the race and they ran home in 29.

ย 

IMG_8976.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

ย 

IMG_8976.jpeg

When Mach Shard raced overseas in 2023, it raced 23 times in mostly poor fields for 2 wins.ย 

So horse back from position at start, raced wide before settling last. Followed up Aussies 3 wide n turn, made up probably 20 lengths on leaders to win easily.ย 
ย 

So Chief, if your right you will be punting it from now on?ย 
I say it will struggle โ€ฆ.

43 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

When Mach Shard raced overseas in 2023, it raced 23 times in mostly poor fields for 2 wins.ย 

ย He had a Winter campaign in Brisbane last Winter. 11 starts for 1 win and 10 unplaced runs. Because the FFA class in Brisbane is quite strong really. they really rattle along fast. can't remember what he paid in that win but would of been BIG odds (beat a Grimson runner)ย 

old kiwi Auckland Cup winner is always hard to beat >>Turn It Up . one of the best here.

His last start in Queensland Mach Shard was 5th to another old kiwi 'Hot and Treacherous' . who seems a fair sort of horse. Probably about same ability as Mach Shard I spose.ย 

going way back Mach Shard ran a Place in the Interdominion Grand Final at Auckland , so that is a great feat, so is a better horse going around right handed it seems ?

14 hours ago, Newmarket said:

So horse back from position at start, raced wide before settling last. Followed up Aussies 3 wide n turn, made up probably 20 lengths on leaders to win easily.ย 

You obviously can't read a race at all.ย  "20 lengths" - you're surely kidding?!!

14 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I say it will struggle โ€ฆ

No - why would I?ย  It was value in that race because of the skew towards the large amounts on the two favourites.

The fact is instead of you objectively looking at the race you immediately start making inferences around swabing and something nefarious occurring.

The horse isn't a slouch, has won at Group level before and a 1:53 mile and a quick final 400m isn't beyond its ability IF everything goes its way.ย ย 

Move on - nothing to see here.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

going way back Mach Shard ran a Place in the Interdominion Grand Final at Auckland , so that is a great feat, so is a better horse going around right handed it seems ?

He's no slouch but getting on a bit in age.ย  There are countless examples over the years where a horse of his ability snaps a race out of the blue.

Just because he was paying $150-1 doesn't mean he had zero chance.ย ย 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Newmarket said:

ย 

I say it will struggle โ€ฆ.

It's not unreasonable to question results Newmarket. I do it myself along the way.

The glorious uncertainty of sport also applies to horse racing.

As you know horses are not machines and can surprise even their connections with a good or bad run. There are a truckload of factors to consider when analyzing a field pre and post race. Sometimes what they are paying is not a true reflection of their chance but they all can't start fav and someone always has to be the rank outsider.

I take you back to the Group 2 Waikato Flying Mile in early April. I'm adding a link. Mach Shard was driven by Scott Phelan. He's a good enough driver but not blessed with the same ability as our top drivers. He does however get to sit behind some very good horses which will always help. Mach Shard ran a slashing race for sixth only point three of a second behind Merlin and a few other top liners. I was impressed with the run and suggested on here he was a contender for the The Grins. I've also added a link for that race. He ran second last but looks can be VERY deceiving. He was in tight quarters for the last half and that didn't change in the home straight. He had little real opportunity to improve and when the likes of Merlin and Don't Stop Dreaming are already at least five lengths ahead you have zero chance. I felt his run was a very good one against some superb horses. The inference being that the next time he has open spaces in a race he could be a genuine contender.

First change is a new driver. Crystal Hackett has a ton of ability and is getting better all the time.ย 

I felt Mach Shard deserved to be at shorter odds than a few that were paying less than him.

Horses like Don't Stop Dreaming and Merlin have had big and long campaigns. Very few horses can just line up month after month in feature races and keep winning.ย 

As you know, water on a racetrack can be a great equalizer.ย 

I wouldn't have backed Mach Shard to win myself if I was wagering but if I had taken a trifecta I would have been uncomfortable leaving him out.ย 

Without wishing to be wise after the event, the price he paid was not a reflection of his chances. 50-1 maybe but not 150-1 +

ย 

ย 

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=41D4C060-E298-42E5-9A7E-C2A0E334D781&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

.https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=061FF836-433F-4D8B-886E-484BE29516FF&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

ย 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Gammalite said:

ย He had a Winter campaign in Brisbane last Winter. 11 starts for 1 win and 10 unplaced runs. Because the FFA class in Brisbane is quite strong really. they really rattle along fast. can't remember what he paid in that win but would of been BIG odds (beat a Grimson runner)ย 

old kiwi Auckland Cup winner is always hard to beat >>Turn It Up . one of the best here.

His last start in Queensland Mach Shard was 5th to another old kiwi 'Hot and Treacherous' . who seems a fair sort of horse. Probably about same ability as Mach Shard I spose.ย 

You can sugar coat all you want, but nothing he has done in the past 12 months suggested he could win last weekend

12 hours ago, Walt said:

It's not unreasonable to question results Newmarket. I do it myself along the way.

The glorious uncertainty of sport also applies to horse racing.

As you know horses are not machines and can surprise even their connections with a good or bad run. There are a truckload of factors to consider when analyzing a field pre and post race. Sometimes what they are paying is not a true reflection of their chance but they all can't start fav and someone always has to be the rank outsider.

I take you back to the Group 2 Waikato Flying Mile in early April. I'm adding a link. Mach Shard was driven by Scott Phelan. He's a good enough driver but not blessed with the same ability as our top drivers. He does however get to sit behind some very good horses which will always help. Mach Shard ran a slashing race for sixth only point three of a second behind Merlin and a few other top liners. I was impressed with the run and suggested on here he was a contender for the The Grins. I've also added a link for that race. He ran second last but looks can be VERY deceiving. He was in tight quarters for the last half and that didn't change in the home straight. He had little real opportunity to improve and when the likes of Merlin and Don't Stop Dreaming are already at least five lengths ahead you have zero chance. I felt his run was a very good one against some superb horses. The inference being that the next time he has open spaces in a race he could be a genuine contender.

First change is a new driver. Crystal Hackett has a ton of ability and is getting better all the time.ย 

I felt Mach Shard deserved to be at shorter odds than a few that were paying less than him.

Horses like Don't Stop Dreaming and Merlin have had big and long campaigns. Very few horses can just line up month after month in feature races and keep winning.ย 

As you know, water on a racetrack can be a great equalizer.ย 

I wouldn't have backed Mach Shard to win myself if I was wagering but if I had taken a trifecta I would have been uncomfortable leaving him out.ย 

Without wishing to be wise after the event, the price he paid was not a reflection of his chances. 50-1 maybe but not 150-1 +

ย 

ย 

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=41D4C060-E298-42E5-9A7E-C2A0E334D781&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

.https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=061FF836-433F-4D8B-886E-484BE29516FF&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

ย 

Thanks for the links and summary Waltโ€ฆ

But letโ€™s face it the first race on 4th April, horse had lovely run in one one, only battled.ย 
Race on 12th April, once again lovely run 3 back outer, battled.ย 
ย 

Last weeks run was out of this world, staggering regardless of price paid.ย 
ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

You can sugar coat all you want, but nothing he has done in the past 12 months suggested he could win last weekend

Perhaps but his run wasn't out of his range of performances.ย  Get over it.ย  Nothing to see here.ย  If there was he would have paid $15 to 1 not $150.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Perhaps but his run wasn't out of his range of performances.ย  Get over it.ย  Nothing to see here.ย  If there was he would have paid $15 to 1 not $150.

Part-owner Katrina Purdon said he obviously didn't like Australia heat and since being back has been greatly improved and she sensed he was very well and ready to run well.Unusually he was kicking in his box.ย 

4th choice driver too with Tony H out and SP moved to more favoured stable mate.

Probably the first time a junior driver has won a Group 1 with his/her first drive on the horse..

A fantastic race to watch and a reminder that ATC still has a place in NZHarness....just need more horses, bigger fields and more punting in North. Obviously big pool on this big race contributed to huge Divi.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Part-owner Katrina Purdon said he obviously didn't like Australia heat and since being back has been greatly improved and she sensed he was very well and ready to run well.Unusually he was kicking in his box.ย 

4th choice driver too with Tony H out and SP moved to more favoured stable mate.

Probably the first time a junior driver has won a Group 1 with his/her first drive on the horse..

A fantastic race to watch and a reminder that ATC still has a place in NZHarness....just need more horses, bigger fields and more punting in North. Obviously big pool on this big race contributed to huge Divi.

Yes we need more horses to be racing in the North Island indeed, TAB!
Hope they come but is going to be very hard work!

Do we know how much as actually wagered at that meeting and on that race?

Yes there are certainly ways of getting increased wagering at the TAB.

I will give you and Entain the tip, it isnt by restricting punters by pissing them all off.

Totally flawed business plan!

Increase and encourage punters, forget the yield over turnover.

The profit will come.