Bit Of A Yarn

2024 - Crunch time for ENTAIN Corporation.

Share price down 47% in 18 months.

78% of shares owned by institutional investors.

Those investors are demanding a return and a reduction in debt.

Committee formed including major investors to explore the divesting of recently acquired businesses that don't fit with long term strategy or integrate well with core Corporate systems.

They certainly do have an interesting business model. I have no idea where the profit aspect of their current NZ investment kicks in.

At least NZTR and Auckland racing have the mythical Avondale goldmine at the end of their rainbow.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Doomed said:

They certainly do have an interesting business model. I have no idea where the profit aspect of their current NZ investment kicks in.

At least NZTR and Auckland racing have the mythical Avondale goldmine at the end of their rainbow.

Still paying off their huge corruption fines overseas.

Gambling giant Entain will pay HMRC £585m to settle over bribery allegations relating to a Turkish firm that it previously owned.

The settlement was approved by the Royal Courts of Justice in a hearing on Tuesday.

Entain, which owns Ladbrokes, will also make a charitable donation of £20m and pay towards the costs of the case.

Its chairman added that the group had "profoundly changed" since the sale.

The payments are part of a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA), that will be made in instalments over the next four years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

What I can't fathom is the retention of existing TAB staff. Surely any takeover or arrangement can only succeed with big cost reductions.

I thought the deal included retaining staff for 2years as well as a number of other conditions.

When the 2 years is up I imagine a big reduction in staff, a massive increase in restrictions of accounts and a number of other measures to increase profits at the expense of punters.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 3:23 PM, Nowornever said:

I thought the deal included retaining staff for 2years as well as a number of other conditions.

When the 2 years is up I imagine a big reduction in staff, a massive increase in restrictions of accounts and a number of other measures to increase profits at the expense of punters.

Can't remember any previous business deal along those lines. Maybe because the Labour racing minister rather naively insisted on no loss of jobs with election looming.

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Can't remember any previous business deal along those lines. Maybe because the Labour racing minister rather naively insisted on no loss of jobs with election looming.

I think that about sums it up.

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

ENTAIN had a loss of GBP$1,000,000,000 last year.  That's NZD$2.1 billion.

Where did you see that?

However, Entain ended the year with a group loss after tax of £879m, compared to a profit of £32.9m in 2022.

2 hours ago, curious said:

Where did you see that?

However, Entain ended the year with a group loss after tax of £879m, compared to a profit of £32.9m in 2022.

I read they had a pre-tax loss of £842m. 

As such, net loss for the year after discontinued operations stood at £936.5m, in contrast to the previous year’s £19.5m profit.