Bit Of A Yarn

ARE THERE RACES TODAY AT RICCARTON......

TIME FOR CHANGE

Arrived into Christchurch yesterday and are they having races today.

No marketing, advertising to be seen for todays race meeting except a Trailer sign near Racecourse.

Having enjoyed a couple of days in Melbourne ......its back to normal......Racing run by "out of date, old fashioned" Racing Administration

Lets hope things build during the week.

• Like 1

This has been the No1 problem why Racing has declined over the last 30 years, no unified, warm fuzzy industry marketing and promotion to the new generations coming through.

Left up to each club, some like Ellerslie have abundant resources, others have very little.

NZRB/TAB markets gambling and therefore indirectly racing, but it is dangerous ground, pushing gambling.

Racing should be marketing Racing, a day at the races, horse ownership etc etc.  All positive stuff that is not directly promoting gambling.

I notice the Messara report did not even touch on marketing Racing

• Like 1

If you're a punter, you'd know there was racing at Riccarton today.

If not then you could ask a punter or have a look online.

http://www.nzcupandshow.co.nz/

https://www.theraces.co.nz/festival/cup-and-show-week

Not much there to encourage someone to have a bet or get involved in ownership.  It's just all about dressing up and drinking.  Don't think I would expect to enjoy eating at Riccarton if I went today, based on my last few visits there.

Only person I know going today is part of a group that will collectively spend thousands on new frocks, bags and shoes, as they can't wear the same stuff they wore last year.  Unlikely they will bet more than $20 combined.  Maybe a few easybets and or some $1 each way bets.

Maybe some of the 6500 new account holders will have a go today.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the track is like, then watching the two Open races and the Guineas.

58 minutes ago, Prankster said:

If you're a punter, you'd know there was racing at Riccarton today.

If not then you could ask a punter or have a look online.

http://www.nzcupandshow.co.nz/

https://www.theraces.co.nz/festival/cup-and-show-week

Not much there to encourage someone to have a bet or get involved in ownership.  It's just all about dressing up and drinking.  Don't think I would expect to enjoy eating at Riccarton if I went today, based on my last few visits there.

Only person I know going today is part of a group that will collectively spend thousands on new frocks, bags and shoes, as they can't wear the same stuff they wore last year.  Unlikely they will bet more than $20 combined.  Maybe a few easybets and or some $1 each way bets.

Maybe some of the 6500 new account holders will have a go today.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the track is like, then watching the two Open races and the Guineas.

Think those new 6500 account holders have stopped betting now, only opened for mel cup, couldnt get bets on, account will be closed by next years mel cup, then another 6500 new account holders will do the same again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

Just back from races.  

You could have counted the patrons at times.

Why do Canterbury people not support CJC ? Let’s hope they turn up next week but without a Public Grandstand how many can they handle. 

Got the tip for Dee and Gee but new better ?

Crap food, outdated members stand for a start

15 hours ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

Just back from races.  

You could have counted the patrons at times.

Why do Canterbury people not support CJC ? Let’s hope they turn up next week but without a Public Grandstand how many can they handle. 

Got the tip for Dee and Gee but new better ?

All the more weight to my argument.....

The worst return in the whole industry by a mile are the courses located in the population centres.   Riccarton Awapuni Ellerslie Te Rapa Hastings. Turn the whole lot into quarter acre sections (bar Ellerslie which could be retained as a commercial property investment).  Relocate the CJC to Darfield beside the railway line and give the punters free cartage out to and home from the track each raceday.  If they got $16m for that slice of dirt on Yaldhurst Road they would get $300m plus for the whole lot.  Nobody wants to go to the dump other than one day a year and it is about time the industry faced reality.  Despite what the Waikato breeding and training fraternity might think.

Instead of stupid Winnie and his cronies thinking the small courses are the issue the worst industry investment is all that valuable real estate returning stone cold nothing(in fact sucking the industry dry)

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1