Bit Of A Yarn

Whanganui rail

1 minute ago, Huey said:

Why do they bother having the rail in so far during the winter? Surely 3m from the outside fence would suffice?

Yeah Na.  Not a good look Jonathan Riddell pushing all the young jockeys onto the outside rail!

• Like 1

Winter racing is seldom a good look especially when extreme bias (outside rail) is usually at play on heavy tracks. Whanganui is a shocker for that but there is value for the brave. Doyle's ride on Belardo Boy was excellent, cut the corner and got onto 2nd best strip. Also the sire Belardo is starting to look like a top mudder sire.

• Like 2

Terrible look isn't it. Riccarton got lots of flak when everyone headed to the outside fence, so they had to even it up. No one seems to bother about Wanganui. Horrible racing. It looked like a poor ride by Allpress on the southerner in the feature mile. She covered so much extra ground getting to the outside. The art is to get there as easily as possible, but she is the expert so I suppose she knew what she was doing.

• Like 1

The key word you left out Doomed was 'thought'. She thought she had the right idea and that she knew what she was doing. I have seen her ride perfect rides on this track in recent times and horrible rides, on both good and bad tracks. I suspect it is father time bringing inconsistency to her riding and she has become more cautious / safety conscious. 

• Like 2

Nice ride from the 2nd placed horse in the last race as well,talked myself out of backing wheelitin, thought the field was abit strong, another good ride, albeit did have a light weight care of 4kg claimer, nice win.

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Nice ride from the 2nd placed horse in the last race as well,talked myself out of backing wheelitin, thought the field was abit strong, another good ride, albeit did have a light weight care of 4kg claimer, nice win.

Watch all that form at Whanganui reverse itself next couple of starts.

13 hours ago, Wingman said:

The key word you left out Doomed was 'thought'. She thought she had the right idea and that she knew what she was doing. I have seen her ride perfect rides on this track in recent times and horrible rides, on both good and bad tracks. I suspect it is father time bringing inconsistency to her riding and she has become more cautious / safety conscious. 

Do you notice how the Stewards can't seem to cope with tightening of the runners towards the outside fence.  I swear they treat it differently to tightening onto the inside fence.  It's like the track conditions have caused it so we will cut some slack to the riders.

I don't blame Allpress for not going out there.

Also I have no problem with her ride on Moments Like These in the last.  First up from a spell and saved ground the whole trip, moved off the rail at the right time and nearly stole it until the horses condition gave out.

A comment was made on trackside that after race 2 (I think) that all riders had been reminded of their responsibilities. Riddell copped a suspension for his ride on Wewillrock. After the last race, apprentices were shown a replay and no doubt comments on the good,bad and ugly. Still this all goes back to the lack of investment in tracks. Whanganui was not always like this. Horses did used to win near the inside rail on heavier tracks than yesterday but yes that was late last century.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

its always been a 'horses for courses' track, sand based.

nice to know prerace that your horse can... 

It doesn't matter unless your horse gets in the fast lanes.

A lot of us are not OK with it. It is NZTR who think it is OK. When I see that type of massive bias I will not bet. We knew getting out wide was a must but it became obvious there was a strip for only one or two horses, the rest inside of that no hope. A fair winter track is what was presented at Pukekohe. Yes they got wider in the later races but it was fair for all. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Wingman said:

A lot of us are not OK with it. It is NZTR who think it is OK. When I see that type of massive bias I will not bet. We knew getting out wide was a must but it became obvious there was a strip for only one or two horses, the rest inside of that no hope. A fair winter track is what was presented at Pukekohe. Yes they got wider in the later races but it was fair for all. 

Geez if you can call Pukekohe a fair track then we do have issues.

It was a damn sight fairer than Whanganui. Winners came from inside early, led all the way, from towards the rear and then wider late in the programme. You didn't have to think turning in your chances were toast hence my calling it fair for all (on the day). And yes, do we ever have track issues in NZ. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Geez if you can call Pukekohe a fair track then we do have issues.

What's your issue with Pukekohe? It's probably the fairest track in the country at the moment in my opinion.

• Like 1

Stay on subject Chief Stipe. We are discussing the pro's and cons of the tracks that were raced on yesterday. Ellerslie is not for discussion on this thread which has the header Whanganui rail. This is all about Whanganui and Pukekohe , how they presented and how they performed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wingman said:

Stay on subject Chief Stipe. We are discussing the pro's and cons of the tracks that were raced on yesterday. Ellerslie is not for discussion on this thread which has the header Whanganui rail. This is all about Whanganui and Pukekohe , how they presented and how they performed.

So you consider the Auckland Racing Club that raced at Pukekohe yesterday raced on a fair track?

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you consider the Auckland Racing Club that raced at Pukekohe yesterday raced on a fair track?

Certainly rather bet their than Whanganui in the winter.

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

How do you justify that?

It's Ellerslie's sacrificial lamb.

What's that got to do with it being a fair track?

It's vastly improved since the bad old days and took the brunt of the Ellerslie dates when Ellerslie was closed.

How do you justify it NOT being a fair track?

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why do you think it wasn't fair? Certainly fairer than the garbage we were served up at Wanganui.

• Like 1