NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Timaru off

Mick on Monday: Warren Kennedy laments wasted opportunity at abandoned Timaru meeting

www.nzherald.co.nz

A wasted opportunity annoyed superstar jockey Warren Kennedy more than wasted time after yesterday’s abandoned Timaru meeting.

The premiership leader flew all the way from Auckland to Timaru but never sat on a horse as the meeting was called off after two races, with a horse slipping in the second race of the day.

No horses fell and no rider nor horse was injured in the split-second incident.

Kennedy missed both the races that were held because his flight was delayed by fog, so was back at the airport soon after he left it.

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

Kennedy would have dearly loved for the meeting to go ahead as he chases the premiership, having edged back to three wins clear of defending champion Michael McNab after a double at Ruakākā on Saturday.

McNab went winless at Ruakaka and wasn’t riding at Timaru yesterday, so Kennedy saw the abandoned meeting as a missed opportunity.

“I was on a couple of favourites and would have loved to get a few wins to stretch the margin back out to five,” he told the Herald.
“But I can’t argue with the decision. I went out and inspected the track, and there was a very significant slip mark and smaller slips around it.

“The track was actually very firm underneath, about 2cm down, but with a little rain this morning [Sunday] and the fog, the top got soft but the underneath didn’t get that moisture, so it created a slippery surface.

“It was the right decision, even though it makes for a wasted day.”

Kennedy said frustrating experiences like yesterday’s are all part of the year-long battle for his first premiership here and after winning two in his native South Africa.

“You have ups and downs over the course of a season, but I got that double yesterday [Saturday], so that helps.

“I’d love to get back up to a lead of 10 or something so I can feel more comfortable, but Nabba has shown he won’t go away, so I think we are in for a good battle.”

A further unexpected curveball was thrown with regard to that battle last night when NZTR announced a new synthetic track meeting at Riccarton on Wednesday, which clashes with the Cambridge meeting on the same day.

Riccarton will then race again on Thursday, and that could mean decision-making for both Kennedy and McNab, who both originally intended to ride at the Cambridge synthetic meeting on Wednesday and Riccarton on Thursday before heading to Te Rapa on Saturday.

They will both still be at the Riccarton meeting on Thursday and Te Rapa on Saturday but will have to choose where they ride on Wednesday. As it stands, Kennedy leads their personal battle for the premiership 118-115.

That has seen Kennedy return to favouritism with the TAB to win the title, paying $1.80 to McNab’s $1.90 as their odds continue to seesaw.

Kennedy’s win on Saturday came with the impressive Love Affirmations, who relished the better ground, and Sterling Express in a R65 over 1200m.

As good as Kennedy was on Saturday, the riding star of the meeting was Jasmine Fawcett, who rode a treble, including an effortless debut victory on a smart 3-year-old Dan Vegas, brother to talented Australian galloper Gringotts.

Fawcett continues to be one of the big improvers in the jockey’s ranks, Saturday’s treble taking her to a personal best 60 wins for the season and with seven weeks still to go.

Three of those have been in black-type races and she sits ninth on the premiership, the same spot she filled at the end of last season, but with $1,758,488 in stakes earnings, with her tally making her the third-highest female jockey in the premiership.

The jockeys’ premiership continues to throw up some incredible stats, with 40 more meetings of the thoroughbred season left before the Waverley fixture on July 31 brings the season to an end.

Joe Doyle looks the next jockey set to break the once-unthinkable $5 million in domestic stakes for the season mark, while Opie Bosson currently has the best strike rate of his career at this stage of the season, riding a winner every 3.86 rides, better than his 3.88 strike rate of two years ago.

18 hours ago, Freda said:

I was told last week that the K-lines were out, and a trainer was told yesterday morning that the groundbreaker had been used, AND irrigation applied.

On the basis that there has been a drought I would say the issue has been caused by a LACK of irrigation not too much.

It is similar to the issue that was discussed on BOAY a while back where the Steeple course was dangerous and slippery due to the grass dying off.

In what video we can see it appears there has been a lot of browning off of the grass.  The drought caused the maintenance of the track to get away on them.  I suspect that like a lot of tracks they don't expect to irrigate much and the cost of doing so is avoided.

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

On the basis that there has been a drought I would say the issue has been caused by a LACK of irrigation not too much.

It is similar to the issue that was discussed on BOAY a while back where the Steeple course was dangerous and slippery due to the grass dying off.

In what video we can see it appears there has been a lot of browning off of the grass.  The drought caused the maintenance of the track to get away on them.  I suspect that like a lot of tracks they don't expect to irrigate much and the cost of doing so is avoided.

I think there was an issue a month or more back with their pump, so lack of irrigation probably unavoidable. Along with the water shortage things no doubt very difficult to manage. 

No water at all would have  been safer although not the ideal scenario. 

This is a disaster on so many levels. Poor bloody Waimate who got kicked off their own track, which never used to cost the industry anything, and told to go and race at Timaru. The poor Timaru club who have been told they aren't needed either and have battled away under adversity. It must be so hard for them to keep motivated. The poor trainers who just want a chance to race their horses on a grass track like they always used to be able to do.

NZTR will be high fiving and laughing all the way to the bank. All they want to do is get rid of the grass tracks and race on Winston's Provincial track for six months of the year. As I said, a total disaster.

I watched the first race and thought it looked incredibly rain affected considering no rain and no irrigation all week. I watched it on my computer though rather than on TV so I thought it perhaps wasn't as wet as it looked.  They looked like they were in for a great day after the tight finish in the first. All very sad, for the industry as a whole really.

• Champ Post 4

28 minutes ago, Freda said:

No water at all would have  been safer although not the ideal scenario. 

Wouldn't have made a difference as heavy dews and fogs will soften the top 20mm but irrigation is required to soften the lower layer.  So there will be a slip zone just below the surface.

Are water pumps in short supply?

And Guerin's major concern was the effect it would have on Kennedy's premiership chances. I think for him the NZ Racing industry goes as far south as Pukekohe, with the occasional day trip to Te Rapa. He may well be proven right sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1
  • Sad 1

I'm a bit disappointed to see Timaru have these problems.  Given their previous successful meetings I thought they didn't have the same issues as everyone else.

Clearly there are soil compaction issues and the track moisture content got away on them because of the drought.

What is the long term forecast for the Spring?  If it is a traditional hot Nor-West November then they could have the same issues to keep on top of at Riccarton.

27 minutes ago, Doomed said:

This is a disaster on so many levels. Poor bloody Waimate who got kicked off their own track, which never used to cost the industry anything, and told to go and race at Timaru. The poor Timaru club who have been told they aren't needed either and have battled away under adversity. It must be so hard for them to keep motivated. The poor trainers who just want a chance to race their horses on a grass track like they always used to be able to do.

NZTR will be high fiving and laughing all the way to the bank. All they want to do is get rid of the grass tracks and race on Winston's Provincial track for six months of the year. As I said, a total disaster.

I watched the first race and thought it looked incredibly rain affected considering no rain and no irrigation all week. I watched it on my computer though rather than on TV so I thought it perhaps wasn't as wet as it looked.  They looked like they were in for a great day after the tight finish in the first. All very sad, for the industry as a whole really.

1000%  in agreement with your sentiment!! :(

I so know of the massive work being put in by upfront honest people with only the best interests of themselves and others in their locations!  Under massive 'critical propaganda', historically  from the likes of that Messara and his elk!  From 'head office' regarding needing to have a track rated X...  Very hard to be fighting or trying to tame Nature!

My late dad was heard to say "if you are not enjoying it, then pack up and move on.."  re racing, that be easier said than done!  gee, it has certainly berried itself deep inside me! and others I'm sure with passion for the industry as well!!! sigh,

Its feeling more and more like the old punch drunk boxer, hoping for one last win, one last buzz, when perhaps around the corner is just more pain that gain!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/06/2024 at 9:57 AM, Murray Fish said:

I so know of the massive work being put in by upfront honest people with only the best interests of themselves and others in their locations!  Under massive 'critical propaganda', historically  from the likes of that Messara and his elk!  From 'head office' regarding needing to have a track rated X...  Very hard to be fighting or trying to tame Nature!

Sometimes under that sort of pressure the local teams go into head in the sand mode and don't reach out for assistance.  For example if there were pump problems why didn't they call NZTR for assistance financially or logistically?  That serves two purposes - one it puts notice on NZTR to do something and two it covers the locals if problems occur.

I'm not suggesting they didn't do this but can understand if they didn't reach out.

Te Aroha for example were offered assistance from Matamata when their track renovation had issues but I'm told they essentially said no thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

Its feeling more and more like the old punch drunk boxer, hoping for one last win, one last buzz, when perhaps around the corner is just more pain that gain!

Have a break through the winter and you may come back refreshed in the spring  

• Like 1

Hi Freda... At risk of being off topic and also of intruding on your private life...I happened to be in your vicinity yesterday and I think that I saw a "SOLD" sign outside your place of residence(excuse me if I am mistaken) but I just wanted to ask, on behalf of the community, if you have finally made a such a fortune out of Racing that you are now shifting to a mansion in a gated community...( Possibly with added security to keep us racing folk out)...... My only advice would be, not to buy a mansion with a gold toilet, as having one hasn't helped Donald Trump....!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/06/2024 at 1:03 PM, Wingman said:

Have a break through the winter and you may come back refreshed in the spring  

yip, that is what I have been doing, more so as each seasons goes on!  The slowdown starts around the ending of the G1's in Sydney  and Melb, continuing through the Queenland's G1's...  I Use to love trying to find the winner of the likes of the Whyte Hc,  Parliamentary and Cornwall,  I think my contracting intere$t in winter racing has followed their sad demise... Still have a interest in trying to find the W of Winter Cup.

I've actually been hanging in for the last few years via running CWJ's fan page, committing to stick in until he hands up the saddle, he's still hoping to be back is him! :)

I found that as the year rolls by and we continued to get bombarded with more and ,more races, less actually coverage of the actual horses, less coverage after the race,  often pathetic filming of prelims, especially so re our G1's.. sigh, please don't mention the state of the tracks!!  rave over! :)

25 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Double figures. More than ten, less than twenty

It's kind of weird that there is a Sunday free next month that would be fine to try and race again, sometimes one thinks they jump too quick and dont look at alternative dates, strange ìrony is that July was normally Waimates time anyway.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

I found that as the year rolls by and we continued to get bombarded with more and ,more races, less actually coverage of the actual horses, less coverage after the race,  often pathetic filming of prelims, especially so re our G1's..

When Trackside went to two channels the premise was ch62 would fully and properly focus on NZ Saturday racing and bring in Sydney/Melbourne later in the day. Ch 63 wall to wall. Well we all know how that has turned out. If you want to see a decent prelim afraid you will have to be on track. Watching the back end of a horse briefly or an artistic close up does not cut it but they could not care less. I can recall an Uncle bleating about this twenty years ago so I guess the current camera operators and Managers are following their predecessors

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wingman said:

When Trackside went to two channels the premise was ch62 would fully and properly focus on NZ Saturday racing and bring in Sydney/Melbourne later in the day. Ch 63 wall to wall. Well we all know how that has turned out. If you want to see a decent prelim afraid you will have to be on track. Watching the back end of a horse briefly or an artistic close up does not cut it but they could not care less. I can recall an Uncle bleating about this twenty years ago so I guess the current camera operators and Managers are following their predecessors

The reality is most punters wouldn't have a clue what to look for in a preliminary.

I asked a friend why she liked a particular horse.  "I like its colour", she said.

Again CS everyone to his/her own. There was a professional punter in the UK who went into the last leg of a hard to pick scoop 6 with what looked like the obvious winners. Unbeknown to him there was a little old lady 'literally' who scooped the pool with one live winning ticket on a real roughie. When asked how she had found the winner "it had the word blue in its name and I like blue sky's"

45 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Again CS everyone to his/her own. There was a professional punter in the UK who went into the last leg of a hard to pick scoop 6 with what looked like the obvious winners. Unbeknown to him there was a little old lady 'literally' who scooped the pool with one live winning ticket on a real roughie. When asked how she had found the winner "it had the word blue in its name and I like blue sky's"

I know lots of stories like that.  That said very hard to see enough of the horses in the preliminary for selection purposes.  I like going to the races on my own and watching the parade and preliminary then making a bet.  Not enough TV time to do that if there are two or three meetings running.

That's why I like the way the Aussies do it with their assistant commentators in the parade ring, on the track and around at the barrier.  

The NZ equivalents are not in the same league unfortunately and seem to promote every horse as a winning chance which is about as useful as picking blue sky names!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Executioner said:

Hi Freda... At risk of being off topic and also of intruding on your private life...I happened to be in your vicinity yesterday and I think that I saw a "SOLD" sign outside your place of residence(excuse me if I am mistaken) but I just wanted to ask, on behalf of the community, if you have finally made a such a fortune out of Racing that you are now shifting to a mansion in a gated community...( Possibly with added security to keep us racing folk out)...... My only advice would be, not to buy a mansion with a gold toilet, as having one hasn't helped Donald Trump....!!

Ha..no, you're not mistaken, 'tis I indeed.  Fortune?  Silly bugger..!   Sadly, no, it was a knockdown [ or a do-up ] when I bought it more years ago than I care to admit, and I've never had the means to renovate.  Great years, good BBQ's, interesting flatmates from overseas as well as locals, many tales told tall and otherwise, but the old place can't hang in much longer.  New building rules and regulations make a complete renovation simply prohibitive, the presence of asbestos not a great help either..so it's gone.    Developers the purchasers.

No gold toilet either.  Any toilet will be fine, as will a roof that doesn't leak, windows that don't ice up in the winter, a power bill several hundred less than the one I have now...and space for the dogs.  Simple.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The reality is most punters wouldn't have a clue what to look for in a preliminary.

what about punters who actually Bet in larger numbers, and actually like to SEE the horses before they wager? I could continue in this vane..  

2 hours ago, Wingman said:

yip, you be on to it...   just more propaganda.   for many years I was involved in a couple of betting groups, turned over 100k + a year in each!  I with drew, they quickly collapsed, all the others gave up over time! lol, coz they went back to betting dumb!   I often took the trouble to go on course so that the clubs could click the ticket$..  sigh! 

• Like 1