NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Two more meeting's Abandoned in July 2024. Rotorua and New Plymouth.

2 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

So what?  It is winter time.  I doubt 19mm would make the track unsafe.

The jockey who tested the Taranaki track has enough experience to make a call on safety.  Don't put rules in that NZTR have no intentions following.

I have spoken to reliable people at both Hastings and Taranaki who think the tracks could have been raced on.  Protocols are no good if they are not followed.

What a joke, Taranaki moves to Hawera, ANOTHER TRACK NOT REQUIRED.  Didn't Opunake move from Hawera for the better track in New Plymouth?

I agree…. 19mm rain is nothing. Trump sweats more than that in an hour….

12 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

This all smacks of a poor attempt to force connections to the AWT's.  With field restrictions alone, they are dreaming.  Who is monitoring the actions of NZTR officials?  When will they be accountable?

Would you still be rushing out to breed to Belardo?

Cracks me up @TAB For Ever the Suits are going to transfer the Taranaki meeting to another of those unwanted tracks - Hawera!!!

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Would you still be rushing out to breed to Belardo?

Cracks me up @TAB For Ever the Suits are going to transfer the Taranaki meeting to another of those unwanted tracks - Hawera!!!

Stratford probably could have held the meeting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes but those tracks are part of the Messara ( @TAB For Ever ) undesirables.  The plan is to sell them and make the chosen elite better.  Well the plan arent working is it!

Anyone seen or heard from MIA Sharrock?

Sharrock was on SENZ this morning. amongst all the goobledegook the word centralisation kept popping up. Pretty much sums up their agenda.

17 minutes ago, Muzza said:

the word centralisation kept popping up. Pretty much sums up their agenda.

CENTRALISATION ISN'T WORKING!

Those tracks that they want to get rid of keep saving the day!!!

Centralisation to ELLERSLIE is that what he means?  Does he know that there isn't ONE horse trained at Ellerslie!!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

This all smacks of a poor attempt to force connections to the AWT's.  With field restrictions alone, they are dreaming.  Who is monitoring the actions of NZTR officials?  When will they be accountable?

Exactly what I was thinking.

When do the peasants revolt , I mean it's  gone beyond the absolute farcical circus sh%t show!

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

CENTRALISATION ISN'T WORKING!

Those tracks that they want to get rid of keep saving the day!!!

Centralisation to ELLERSLIE is that what he means?  Does he know that there isn't ONE horse trained at Ellerslie!!!

God knows what he actually meant. Lost interest about a third of the way thru. Not sure the guy really has his finger on the pulse. 

• Like 1

From Darin Balcombe. You'd have to ask what on earth are the point of AWTs.

The synthetic tracks at Cambridge, Riccarton and Awapuni were developed for such weather-related meeting abandonments, however, Balcombe said transferring the turf meetings to the polytracks still requires time and would also come at a detriment to field sizes.

“Logistically, it isn’t quite as easy as changing the track, there are a lot of contractors and other things that need to be in place to do that,” he said. “We can do that (transfer) with about 24 hours’ notice. A lot of the time it hasn’t started raining until that point, so you would be making a decision before the weather hits. You are never going to get that 100 percent right, so it is very hard to predict that.

“Especially for Saturday race meetings, when you go to the synthetic you will pretty much be decimated with scratchings. I have spoken with two or three people this morning who said they wouldn’t have run on the synthetic. I just looked at Ballarat the other day over in Australia that moved their turf meeting to their synthetic track on the Saturday, which was to be run on the Sunday, which were fields of 15 to 18, and they ended up with five to seven going around.

“The horses that go around on the synthetic go on them because they like the synthetic, and the other ones are generally looking for a heavy track, and they don’t tend to mix between each other.”

29 minutes ago, Muzza said:

God knows what he actually meant. Lost interest about a third of the way thru. Not sure the guy really has his finger on the pulse. 

Sharrock didn't really mention centralisation did he?

If he did it was surely to say it clearly hasn't worked so far.

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes but those tracks are part of the Messara ( @TAB For Ever ) undesirables.  The plan is to sell them and make the chosen elite better.  Well the plan arent working is it!

Anyone seen or heard from MIA Sharrock?

Maybe Chief you not noticing how bitter and angry you are getting toward me and your continued reference  to the Messara report which myself and most level -headed  students and participants of the NZ racing scene thought was very much needed .

Too much personal interest , conflicted interests and lack of collaboration and escalating Admin had basically 'bankrupted' NZ racing. 

NZ racing was bankrupt , could not pay its bills .....insolvent.

The Messara report ,tho not perfect , told a lot home-truths and made suggestions to get things back on track ,for a while at least cos the two main pillars of NZ Racing ,the owners and the punter could still enjoy their interests in racing over the ditch ....in fact punters were much better off betting into bigger pools with bigger divis and more races were beamed in to their dining rooms by the week.

The main take out of the Messara report other than confirming that NZ racing was unsustainable in its current format .....it couldn't pay its bills and with owners returns around 25% that unlikely to be tolerated much longer....was that NZ's infrastructure was also on its last legs particularly with the actual track surfaces were stuffed .

He said there was NOT one decent track  surface in NZ..........and hasn't that proved correct as poor preparation ,maintenance and upgrading failures had proven Messara 100% correct. Add the worsening weather patterns , and stricter H & S protocols has made this even more profound.

Other infrastructure , like buildings , accessories ,facilities etc were also below minimum levels ...........tho Racing largely now a TV sport still has many meetings where crowds are expected ,encouraged and an important ingredient in the sports sustainability. Group Racedays , Iconic racedays and Holiday and some weekend meetings.

The examples you give ....Westland ,Avondale ,Levin and Foxton are infantile examples of you trying to score points and show how clever you are.....one never proves their cleverness by denigrating another person.......there is nothing so common in life as unsuccessful men with talent ,the world is full of educated derelicts !

Westland , a cost accountant would note this as immaterial.

Avondale ....the facilities fall way below minimum standards and as this weeks trials proved ,like most NZ tracks it turns to a bog in winter once the rain comes. And better suited as a housing and community facillity in a big sprawling city.A disgrace !

Levin ....for whatever reason hasn't held racedays for many years , but has good equity and holds monthly successful trials.Seems to stay current and could still become part of future.

Foxton...trials centre also , apparently refused to upgrade facilities so self inflicted status. Could be part of future tho the location does have 'water table' issue so prone to flooding and you conveniently overlooked recent postponed trials there.

Attitude is everything in life and a better attitude and more collaboration from some of these closed and red stickered clubs/courses would have seen a far better outcome.Some don't even support or work in with neighbours etc

Messara could not have foreseen the ineptness of the Track upgrades that he triggered. Te Aroha , Hastings Awapuni , Pukekohe and the big one Ellerslie. And don't you all just love putting the boot into Ellerslie.Who would have known that they would experiment with a first ever 'new' version of the Strathayr track system then rushed into use before it even 'complete'.But potentially a great facility with financial viabilty and essential for NZ's racing . Can't wait for reopen...Yes !

So as I sit here waiting to watch some 'day' Rugby and Aussie racing [ alot on non-turf tracks] ......no regrets the NZ racing on winter bog tracks where they head for outside fence  canned...I compare with the old days where Winter racing on bogs was largely miserable saved by the Iconic NZ jumpers and NZ harness was postponed for close to two months . My preferred code ,Harness races right thru the year now cos they have decent all-weather tracks but they let things deteriorate before they reacted. Sound familiar ? Harness needed a Messara years ago cos they unlikely to recover. OK in Canterbury where still part of DNA.

Some posters ...the tight five and the Chief himself will bang on with the usual same ole same ole and personal insults  but these are just my opinions from years of participating and personal opinion. I know many will disagree , thats OK.

As an owner I an affected by these postponements and  stuffups. I pay training bills and also travel to meetings. Its an expensive hobby .I have learned  some lessons over the years other than the fact that nothing is as common as unsuccessful men wth talent. Racing is an expensive hobby , breeding even more so .....both horses and humans ! No more breeding for me !

After my latest dabble into jumping horses ,I probably wont do it again. NZ weather is getting worse in its extremes ,water more like to hang around ,travelling to winter meetings now largely a no-no ,I study forecasts tho fog an issue. Kiwis like jumpers..on TV....but not betting on them . I OK with my horses racing on the Synthetic. I chose my trainers in the horse-areas where good training facilities and minimum travel for them.

Rugby about to kick off...and can't wait for Olympics. Rugby ,like racing has money problems too ,also largely a TV sport and too slow to change. Also perception issues . And used to be well run by Volunteers , or so we thought. Their surfaces improved. An outsider /RWC  changed that.

Thanks for reading !

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

a long post by Tab4:

gee, a few straw people stuff... lots of polemics..

The main take out of the Messara report other than confirming that NZ racing was unsustainable in its current format .....it couldn't pay its bills and with owners returns around 25% that unlikely to be tolerated much longer....

Hence the Sunset tilt direction.. if a cost accountant thinks, its changing direction for the better, then good luck with that! 
As always, how can we squeeze some fun and enjoyment out of 'the races!'.

Attitude is everything in life and a better attitude and more collaboration from some of these closed and red stickered clubs/courses would have seen a far better outcome. Some don't even support or work in with neighbours etc

For this century, I have been in the southern region,  over the years, I have spoken with lots of committee sorts etc, just about all feel that the communication from 'head office'  has been a challenge, especially around the M process and final report! I disagree that there was not decent criticism of it, shown by the 100's of coal face people that posted! sigh, but what the feck...  events have happened! some 'won', others....

Thanks for reading !

Talking reading: I did enjoy you one re Show Gate and trainer etc...  sadly I think it didn't lead with its own Thread! and sort of got lost... keen to read others of that ilk! 

off to watch the dodger$ v red sox! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Messara could not have foreseen the ineptness of the Track upgrades that he triggered. Te Aroha , Hastings Awapuni , Pukekohe and the big one Ellerslie. And don't you all just love putting the boot into Ellerslie.Who would have known that they would experiment with a first ever 'new' version of the Strathayr track system then rushed into use before it even 'complete'.But potentially a great facility with financial viabilty and essential for NZ's racing . Can't wait for reopen...Yes !

You have been defending all these descisions at least since you were wined and dined and blinkered at the Karaka Millions.

Good to see you are finally starting to see the light.

48 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Maybe Chief you not noticing how bitter and angry you are getting toward me and your continued reference  to the Messara report which myself and most level -headed  students and participants of the NZ racing scene thought was very much needed .

Too much personal interest , conflicted interests and lack of collaboration and escalating Admin had basically 'bankrupted' NZ racing. 

That was AFTER the Mess-ara report.  What's changed?

Rotorua.

18.8mm rain since midnight.

image.png.3e2f9776a0451da4c953e9bf81a33414.png

Rotorua rainfall - last 14 days.

image.png.7c8a7055e897e4ab6902477ac473e27b.png

Distance between Airport (weather station) & track 8.5km (by road).

image.png.987155fba9dc886eeb2382f4e742f928.png

If the Rotorua track can't take 30mm of rain over a couple of days, after basically a dry week prior, there probably shouldn't be a track there.

I live in Rotorua, with no puddles at any time today in the fairly level back section of my place, which consists of 150 to 200mm topsoil over a thick clay base.

3 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

NZ weather is getting worse in its extremes ,water more like to hang around ,travelling to winter meetings now largely a no-no ,I study forecasts tho fog an issue.

Bullshit.  There is no evidence that NZ's weather is getting more extreme.  This autumn and winter have been exceptionally mild so far.  FFS are you going to use alleged climate change as an excuse now!

I OK with my horses racing on the Synthetic.

Well therein lies a connundrum for you as the majority of trainers don't like racing on Synthetic.  

Check out the Fish post:

I chose my trainers in the horse-areas where good training facilities and minimum travel for them.

Which "horse-areas" - Pukekohe?  You still have to travel to Ellerslie where the NZ Racing universe appears to be centralising to and they don't have ANY training facilities!

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Which "horse-areas" - Pukekohe?  You still have to travel to Ellerslie where the NZ Racing universe appears to be centralising to and they don't have ANY training facilities!

They don't have a usable racecourse either.

• Bad Post 1

On 7/20/2024 at 2:34 PM, Murray Fish said:

gee, a few straw people stuff... lots of polemics..

Hence the Sunset tilt direction.. if a cost accountant thinks, its changing direction for the better, then good luck with that! 
As always, how can we squeeze some fun and enjoyment out of 'the races!'.

For this century, I have been in the southern region,  over the years, I have spoken with lots of committee sorts etc, just about all feel that the communication from 'head office'  has been a challenge, especially around the M process and final report! I disagree that there was not decent criticism of it, shown by the 100's of coal face people that posted! sigh, but what the feck...  events have happened! some 'won', others....

Talking reading: I did enjoy you one re Show Gate and trainer etc...  sadly I think it didn't lead with its own Thread! and sort of got lost... keen to read others of that ilk! 

off to watch the dodger$ v red sox! 

Polemics...thats a flash word, it hadn't reached Christ's College when I was there !

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:34 PM, curious said:

They don't have a usable racecourse either.

Puke less than an hour from Ellerslie and not much more to Te Rapa. 

Riccarton , Matamata , Cambridge , Te Awamutu best and Awapuni and Wanganui all good too !

Your latest fav Ruakaka not always available either as another weather bomb hit the area yesterday , more slips on the Bryderwyns and road closures during the day...that would have been fun for the Waikato horses travelling north.

And many of the tracks you randomly spew out to sound knowledgable  don't meet yor criteria.....How many horses trained at Westland ?

On 7/20/2024 at 5:35 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Bullshit.  There is no evidence that NZ's weather is getting more extreme.  This autumn and winter have been exceptionally mild so far.  FFS are you going to use alleged climate change as an excuse now!

Well therein lies a connundrum for you as the majority of trainers don't like racing on Synthetic.  

Check out the Fish post:

Explain your weather theories to the Wairoa and Gisborne people as well as the many other folk in areas which constantly hit by extreme weather . Several Areas have received there annual rainfall in less than a week !

And your explanation why around the world there are more AWT than turf...USA,Japan <Korea ,South Africa, Chile ,Equador Argentina ,Mexico , parts of Europe ,Scandinavia and OH NO , even parts of Australia and Asia.

On 7/20/2024 at 3:40 PM, curious said:

That's total bs.

Never saw a flooding problem there either.

My Foxton area friend tells me Foxton has had a flooding problem for years  and not so long ago it was up to the roof of houses in some areas. Flood protection has been provided out of the Provincial growth Fund .

Its positioned where there is a very high watertable so the threat is constantly there.

To double check these  facts anyone can google Foxton Floods and several articles confirm the area is flood prone and a number of Trials since Covid have been postponed cos of water.

So it not BS.

Then there is the mystery fire threat .

4 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

My Foxton area friend tells me Foxton has had a flooding problem for years  and not so long ago it was up to the roof of houses in some areas. Flood protection has been provided out of the Provincial growth Fund .

Its positioned where there is a very high watertable so the threat is constantly there.

To double check these  facts anyone can google Foxton Floods and several articles confirm the area is flood prone and a number of Trials since Covid have been postponed cos of water.

So it not BS.

Then there is the mystery fire threat .

Can't you read? It was your remark "Foxton...trials centre also , apparently refused to upgrade facilities so self inflicted status." that I said was BS.

I tried a google but I only see reports of flooding at Foxton Beach and in the area of the Moutoa flood gate catchment. Nothing near the racecourse, except in relation to blocked storm drains. I agree that drainage of the course itself is affected by the water table at times.