NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Cambridge - Experiment failed needs canning!

Brodie

Haven’t been in the country for the past month so haven’t been watching harness!

However the muppets that decided to race low class racing on a Tuesday night need to own up and admit that they have no business or financial ability!

Seriously is a total failure when you have such pathetic size fields and is costing the industry big time!

If Brad Steele was in agreement with this  total failure then I wouldn’t be having any faith in the bloke whatsoever going forward!

To race on a Tuesday night was never a goer and it needs to be stopped now as it ain’t going to get any better.

When you have only 46 horses and poor betting then what is the point?

Does Brad Steele still maintain that he is happy with what is happening at Cambridge as he did a few weeks ago?

It isn’t funny what is happening to our once great harness industry and people are being paid to make these dumb decisions that is making things worse.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Haven’t been in the country for the past month so haven’t been watching harness!

However the muppets that decided to race low class racing on a Tuesday night need to own up and admit that they have no business or financial ability!

Seriously is a total failure when you have such pathetic size fields and is costing the industry big time!

If Brad Steele was in agreement with this  total failure then I wouldn’t be having any faith in the bloke whatsoever going forward!

To race on a Tuesday night was never a goer and it needs to be stopped now as it ain’t going to get any better.

When you have only 46 horses and poor betting then what is the point?

Does Brad Steele still maintain that he is happy with what is happening at Cambridge as he did a few weeks ago?

It isn’t funny what is happening to our once great harness industry and people are being paid to make these dumb decisions that is making things worse.

There seems to be a perception in today's world that consumers want more and more of the same product to quench their thirst for something when in reality less can be best, you see it everywhere, Super Rugby starting earlier next year so they can have 16 rounds because the public want more, according to the powers that be in Super Rugby, then we see saturation point in Cricket with the  overkill of 20 20 which basically is crap, after time ones interest wanes, Harness racings no different, everyone's wanting a bigger share of the cake but the men in charge tell us this is what the public want but is it?

• Like 1

The measure of a successful meeting would be turnover and I have heard the Northern meetings do not generate the turnover to be viable by themselves, and need to be propped up by the Canterbury meetings.  I blame the thickos that got rid of grass track meetings in the north as that effectively killed the northern harness racing vibe and probably the horse population up there leading to the current decline on turnover.

• Like 3

HRNZ are trying to put races on for the few competitors that are left. At a nice horse area. 

Hobart on a small island nation like the North Island ran with 45 horses the other night. If they Don't HARNESS RACING will Cease to exist. as the few left wouldn't have any races. 

A job of the HRNZ is to provide racing for the people , not return a profit for Brodie and his harness and organiser Hating mates.  you guys so used to hating on your government and the like , you couldn't run a chook raffle it seems. 

If they can't come up with The Mega Tiny amount of $45k to $50k stakemoney for a Mega Tiny meeting each week to support the trainers like Chilcott and the few  others , then that is is pretty POOR IMO.  one Saturday galloper gets earns that piddley amount for a win on it's own . surely you can't begrudge $45k being allocated to 6 winners each Week . surely not ?  why is $45k so much important to Canterbury than Waikato ?  the trainers there NEED RACES for their owners. 

CAN em'all  like Dog meat ya reckon ?  absolute disgrace reading that.  

An analogy would be =  like an airline CEO saying "stuff the regional centres , we're not flying there. That costs us money " not enough people support it . Let's just have the money making CHch- Sydney run where there are more participants so we make money faster'. the rest of the people can GO JUMP In the  sea and start swimming to get anywhere lol 🤣  

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

HRNZ are trying to put races on for the few competitors that are left. At a nice horse area. 

Hobart on a small island nation like the North Island ran with 45 horses the other night. If they Don't HARNESS RACING will Cease to exist. as the few left wouldn't have any races. 

A job of the HRNZ is to provide racing for the people , not return a profit for Brodie and his harness and organiser Hating mates.  you guys so used to hating on your government and the like , you couldn't run a chook raffle it seems. 

If they can't come up with The Mega Tiny amount of $45k to $50k stakemoney for a Mega Tiny meeting each week to support the trainers like Chilcott and the few  others , then that is is pretty POOR IMO.  one Saturday galloper gets earns that piddley amount for a win on it's own . surely you can't begrudge $45k being allocated to 6 winners each Week . surely not ?  why is $45k so much important to Canterbury than Waikato ?  the trainers there NEED RACES for their owners. 

An analogy would be =  like an airline CEO saying "stuff the regional centres , we're not flying there. That costs us money " not enough people support it . Let's just have the money making CHch- Sydney run where there are more participants so we make money faster'. the rest of the people can GO JUMP In the  sea and start swimming to get anywhere lol 🤣  

the analogy of the airline i think is a good one.

the thing is though,by airlines providing a service to some regional centre's that run at losses,it means the quality and cost of services on the profitable routes are compromised and tickets often expensive.  

Actually if you look up australian regional airports,in the latest budget the australian government just put in an additional $40 million funding over the next 3 years, on top of what they already fund them. Then of course most regional airports are already funded by the councils who provide all the infastructure and many councils are always calling for more governmant funding.Same as in nz.

So,theres no local coucil or federal government to help subsidise harness racing,its all got to be done by the industry as a whole,so therefore it goes without saying that providing funding,whether it be for infastructure or stakes,needs to be done in a responsibly fiscal way.

So its responsible fiscal management that the likes of brodie and myself support and its not accurate to say that we don't want northern harness to prosper.

personally i think the answer lies somewhere in between what gammalite and brodie say.

To me there is a place for late afternoon/early evening harness racing at both northern and canterbury on tuesdays. They have to be mini meetings with races programmed at stakes levels that are susainable and not a drain on the industry overall. And of course the handicapping penalties have to reflect the stakes.I believe that $8000 for cambridge is too high.Turnovers at cambrdge haven't been that bad,they just haven't warranted the $8000 stakes currently being paid..

of course also you have to have handicappers and programmers understanding that they should be running races with conditions which encourages everyone to start,with things like $ won the last 5 starts or whatever as part of the conditions.There should be races at cambridge for all horses who have run 4 or 5 starts at auckland for no placings and its just a matter of programming.

canterbury has more participants in need of these races,so surely the leadership of hrnz should be able to see that by providing a smilar choice with extra tuesday meetings would create a more unified indutrsy. 

Only problem is there has been nothing to come out of hrnz,apart from the horse utiilisation group,that meakes any sense. So you  end up with no confidence in hrnz leadership and what your seeing is people pointing out the obvious flaws in what hrnz are currently doing.

doesn't all that seem obvious?

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

A job of the HRNZ is to provide racing for the people , not return a profit for Brodie and his harness and organiser Hating mates. 

Oh so true, you provide an opportunity for your horse to race ,whatever level, and the game has a chance. To not do so encourages further selling and non participation to the point of extinction. IMO.

Edited by JJ Flash

5 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Gamma has nothing at all to do with me returning a profit!

Hardly wager on Cambridge Auckland nowadays.

Just trying to point out just how idiotic the decision to race on a Tuesday night as a financially viable decision to keep harness racing alive in the North.

They should at least be a Thursday night mixed in with some Friday nights!

The nights to race should be Thursday thru to Saturday nights if they want to retain punters and try to attract people oncourse.

personally think it was lunacy to race on a Tuesday night, yes good for owners if only a few horses in each race but disastrous for the harness industry going forward.

Anyway doesn’t affect me at all but do have grave concerns for the clubs in the North if the hierarchy continue to make poor decisions. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Gamma has nothing at all to do with me returning a profit!

Hardly wager on Cambridge Auckland nowadays.

Just trying to point out just how idiotic the decision to race on a Tuesday night as a financially viable decision to keep harness racing alive in the North.

They should at least be a Thursday night mixed in with some Friday nights!

The nights to race should be Thursday thru to Saturday nights if they want to retain punters and try to attract people oncourse.

personally think it was lunacy to race on a Tuesday night, yes good for owners if only a few horses in each race but disastrous for the harness industry going forward.

Anyway doesn’t affect me at all but do have grave concerns for the clubs in the North if the hierarchy continue to make poor decisions. 

I wonder how many double up, race Tuesday and Friday, I suspect none so that probably blows the theory that racing on consecutive nights has a impact, who knows maybe next year Cambridge may move to Thursdays, trial and error i guess.

14 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Rather interesting is no racing after New Year at Alexandra Park until February 7, will the Auckland Cup on News Years Eve be a one off race with no other supporting races for Cup class horses, 

Pretty sure it's been that way for a long time .... the summer racing circuit was always away from Alexandra Park

17 hours ago, the galah said:

the analogy of the airline i think is a good one.

the thing is though,by airlines providing a service to some regional centre's that run at losses,it means the quality and cost of services on the profitable routes are compromised and tickets often expensive.  

Actually if you look up australian regional airports,in the latest budget the australian government just put in an additional $40 million funding over the next 3 years, on top of what they already fund them. Then of course most regional airports are already funded by the councils who provide all the infastructure and many councils are always calling for more governmant funding.Same as in nz.

So,theres no local coucil or federal government to help subsidise harness racing,its all got to be done by the industry as a whole,so therefore it goes without saying that providing funding,whether it be for infastructure or stakes,needs to be done in a responsibly fiscal way.

So its responsible fiscal management that the likes of brodie and myself support and its not accurate to say that we don't want northern harness to prosper.

personally i think the answer lies somewhere in between what gammalite and brodie say.

To me there is a place for late afternoon/early evening harness racing at both northern and canterbury on tuesdays. They have to be mini meetings with races programmed at stakes levels that are susainable and not a drain on the industry overall. And of course the handicapping penalties have to reflect the stakes.I believe that $8000 for cambridge is too high.Turnovers at cambrdge haven't been that bad,they just haven't warranted the $8000 stakes currently being paid..

of course also you have to have handicappers and programmers understanding that they should be running races with conditions which encourages everyone to start,with things like $ won the last 5 starts or whatever as part of the conditions.There should be races at cambridge for all horses who have run 4 or 5 starts at auckland for no placings and its just a matter of programming.

canterbury has more participants in need of these races,so surely the leadership of hrnz should be able to see that by providing a smilar choice with extra tuesday meetings would create a more unified indutrsy. 

Only problem is there has been nothing to come out of hrnz,apart from the horse utiilisation group,that meakes any sense. So you  end up with no confidence in hrnz leadership and what your seeing is people pointing out the obvious flaws in what hrnz are currently doing.

doesn't all that seem obvious?

Twilight $8k Wednesday meetings start at Addington on 9 October .....

• Like 1

On 16/09/2024 at 7:43 AM, Taku Umanga said:

Twilight $8k Wednesday meetings start at Addington on 9 October .....

At least there will be a bit of variety in those fields hopefully.

Hard to get interested in the pools tonight.

Race 1

Win $3K    place 1K    Quin $1.6K    Tri   $2K

Edited by Nowornever
  • Like 1