Bit Of A Yarn

Keith Whall?

Newmarket

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Trained the good filly Blue Water, won DB fillies, was weakish field in slow time. 

Amyone know where Keith is now. Good friend of mine would like to know. Thanks

Gosh that's going back a bit early 80s, nice fully sold to the U.s. can't help you with kieth whall whereabouts, but see he didn't renew his training licence after 2013 season so I'm picking he was retirement age?

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Gosh that's going back a bit early 80s, nice fully sold to the U.s. can't help you with kieth whall whereabouts, but see he didn't renew his training licence after 2013 season so I'm picking he was retirement age?

Thanks. To be honest, thought he wasnt too well, hopefully still kicking around. 

I remember a mate giving me the word on Blue Water at its first start. I was only just out of school, put a weeks wages on to win, $80 i think. Was first race on cup day, From memory Keith had it in front early, looked likely on the turn, but run down to 4th. Top field it was, royden glen etc. Pity he didnt start it at another race meeting, sure it would have won any maiden around at the time on that run. 

As for the $60, oh well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Thanks. To be honest, thought he wasnt too well, hopefully still kicking around. 

I remember a mate giving me the word on Blue Water at its first start. I was only just out of school, put a weeks wages on to win, $80 i think. Was first race on cup day, From memory Keith had it in front early, looked likely on the turn, but run down to 4th. Top field it was, royden glen etc. Pity he didnt start it at another race meeting, sure it would have won any maiden around at the time on that run. 

As for the $60, oh well. 

last I heard of him was living in rakaia

• Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

As for the $60, oh well. 

red hot field with logan dryham and winner king alba who was having his last start for ken mcrae for becoming a redvale horse trained by john langdon

5 or maybe 6 ended up in that derby and this race was like the first heat with different 3yos in heat 2 on show day

on dominion night logan dryham won the final and blue water never entered

• Champ Post 1

22 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

red hot field with logan dryham and winner king alba who was having his last start for ken mcrae for becoming a redvale horse trained by john langdon

5 or maybe 6 ended up in that derby and this race was like the first heat with different 3yos in heat 2 on show day

I think from memory, a more patient drive might have got blue water home in its first race. I suppose, after effort in its first race, did dissapoint afta. 

Those horses you mentioned, great types. 

7 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I think from memory, a more patient drive might have got blue water home in its first race. I suppose, after effort in its first race, did dissapoint afta. 

Those horses you mentioned, great types. 

was so so many good horses going around back when brodie was in his prime

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Logan dryham a fav of mine, one of the ones that fell in the Derby, he died I think of either a paddock accident or heart attack a year or so after.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

DO WE PUNT GOTTA TICKET WESTPORT???

Go for it mate! After the horses dire performance at the MOT it couldn't do worse... or could it?? Perhaps the Westport gallops would suit better?
Seriously, I wonder if you could explain to me the rationale behind turning a slow, slow pacer with two placings in many starts into a trotter then get one of the worst junior drivers to drive it on debut? Senseless. Talk about throwing money away. Lunacy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shad said:

No gallops on that track, last meeting in 1996 from memory. 

Perhaps they could run a race or two for galloping pacers and trotters at Westport Christmas Meeting. Second thoughts you'd probably need three races given the number of horses that will break on the first day. You could lineup all those that lost a 100m or more and run a gallop, slap a saddle on them and away. Perhaps a 1000m sprint. It would be good to see and some of the nags might be able to run fast enough to get a sweat up in a gallop as many can't get warm in their chosen gait.

One of the top trotters of his era trained on that track, not to many that win 2 dominion handicaps, I will be backing hes fast and furious, be a chance with a good draw, placed at Reefton last year at healthy odds, bit unlucky I thought, anything can win over there and it's easy to end up with egg on your face. Never condemn a horse till it's dead, a wise man told me once.

• Like 2