Bit Of A Yarn

Peter Hunter what were you thinking?..

Brodie

I appreciate that there are bad drives in every race, but seriously many of our drivers need to retire themselves to the grandstands!

No I didn’t have a wager but zireslly liked Bold Ruler in Race 2 at Gore after its last run which was very unlucky.

Never been a major fan of Peter Hunter’s driving, and even less after today’s performance.

Bold Ruler drew 2 the second row and got a good run through to be parked early.

Veneto was 3 wide and going forward but instead of easing  to let Veneto sit parked Mr Hunter pressed on and sat parked the whole way!

He was never ever going to get the front and for some unknown reason he wanted to sit parked throughout!

Yes it is very easy to drive from the stand but it was not rocket science for Mr Hunter to pull back a bit and let Veneto give him some cover!

Some might defend the drive but seriously just another shocker where nothing will be said!,,

Yes of course the horse didn’t place but he also wasn’t that far away considering the run it had.

The horse in the trail gave up before Bold Ruler did!,,

Who backed Bold a Ruler and thought that it was a shocker as well?

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Yep i did Brodster.  Horse and driver have limited ability, P. Hunter not as bad as B. McLellan for mine tho.

Think Mr Hunter is more limited!

Must run in the family for driving as I gave his brother a spray I think last year lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

His mistake was to take on the highest rated horse in the field who never was going to give him the lead. Took its toll on both in the end,set it up for the leader to get beaten. Shame as I backed that one.   

personally I  think  your being  too harsh on him as at least he had a go.

Do not. Relive I am being too hard at all!

Stating fact that there was a horse 3 wide that would have given it the one one!

He made a poor decision to sit parked on a fast pace and have the horse no show once again!

37 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Do not. Relive I am being too hard at all!

Stating fact that there was a horse 3 wide that would have given it the one one!

He made a poor decision to sit parked on a fast pace and have the horse no show once again!

Agree it wasn't a great drive but there were many other drives where the obvious wrong tactics were adopted.Where do you start and stop?  For example stay aboard getting boxed in with 500m to go or kilowatt kidd going for an inside run for some reason. Punters who backed those favourites must have been scratching their heads .

Every driver puts in some some perplexing drives sometimes.  It can be a frustrating thing being a punter . I think the area where we should give most criticism is when they appear to be not trying..

Very frustrating with poor drives, rides, mate had one in at the gallops, draw outside gate over 2200m, 4 wide past the winning post, 3 wide round back  outside the leader, then had the leader on until the straight, they opted for a senior rider over a claimer, but don't  think an apprentice could have done any worse,Safe to say you know where he finished, worse thing is they have a gut buster of a run and knocks the horse around, where of you drop back ride for luck, if your good enough will run home, if not you have a horse left for next time. Very frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Very frustrating with poor drives, rides, mate had one in at the gallops, draw outside gate over 2200m, 4 wide past the winning post, 3 wide round back  outside the leader, then had the leader on until the straight, they opted for a senior rider over a claimer, but don't  think an apprentice could have done any worse,Safe to say you know where he finished, worse thing is they have a gut buster of a run and knocks the horse around, where of you drop back ride for luck, if your good enough will run home, if not you have a horse left for next time. Very frustrating. 

I think way too many use the ride for luck,or drive for luck approach,and if you don't get any there is always next time.

In my opinion you can be aggressive and not knock your horse around. Its all about finding the line and not having them a spent force with 200m to go. It should not matter whether you have sat wide all the way,as long as you are travelling with enough up your sleeve to finish it off..  The ones who don't back up are the ones who are all out with 200m  to go,irrespective of their run in transit ,yet the driver or jockey keep at them and they then end up overdoing it and their form starts to taper off.   Or the ones who have not had a suitable preparation.

A horse will race far better ,more consistently,and have a more competitive approach if  they are rated properly,and given the chance to improve when the pace is slower, and then you just let the horses natural competitiveness carry it through the last part of the race without overdoing the whip thing.

Taking off too late is just as counter productive as taking off too early.  Having said all that,i think only the good drivers use the tactics I believe in.  The best by far at the moment is blair orange.  John dunn is another.  Look at the sectionals they drive,they are all about consistency of speed. 

• Champ Post 1