Bit Of A Yarn

Improvements for Trackside?

Joe Kidd

With today being the start of the TAB's new site and app, I hope other areas are addressed to improve the whole experience. I enjoy Trackside and appreciate what we have. I grew up with almost no TV coverage of racing where often the best way to hear the races was stand on the roof on one leg with a transistor while facing Mecca. As a result, I understandably consider Trackside to be a godsend. Having said that, I don't believe they utilize both channels correctly. Having one channel covering old results etc while there is live racing occurring needs to be addressed as does having the same race on both channels at the same time while other races receive no coverage at all. With some tinkering, they could increase the viewing experience considerably. 

An area I'd like to see more of is coverage from the room. Many of us have a vested interest in protests so the need for transparency is considerable. Must admit, some of the best entertainment and tension I've seen on Trackside is when they show what's being said etc by all concerned in the protest. Unfortunately,  the coverage there has to be ended prematurely so we can watch greyhounds taking a dump on the way around to the start for the next race at Wallomazooville.

I don't see the introduction of wall to wall American racing on Trackside as a positive. When you see pools with virtually nothing in them and not a single dollar wagered on dividend bearing runners, you have to wonder what's going on.

There may be a few out there that value Trackside studio presenters input, but I don't count myself as one of them. I enjoy watching and listening to anyone who knows which way is up in the game but we've had a long run of studio presenters who only seem capable of clicking their pen, stating the bleeding obvious and or repeating verbatim exactly what the race caller stated at the end of his call. I've never wagered on anything based on their encouragement and it would be my contention that anyone who bet on a horse based on the studio presenters input would be on the fast track to failure. Do they actually increase turnover with their incessant yapping when they seem frightened to even stop for a breath? The majority of these studio presenters are females in their 20's. Some have a background with horses but most come across like they don't know the stern end of a horse from the bow. Perhaps if they started presenting while wearing a bikini, I may start valuing their input more :) 

When we have Australian coverage at night, it all ticks over smoothly without a studio presenter. Hope that catches on here. 

I do enjoy the oncourse presenters we have who I believe overall do a very good job.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joe Kidd said:

I do enjoy the oncourse presenters we have who I believe overall do a very good job.

it would be great if on course presenters listened to the interviewee's (usually trainers) reply and therefore not re ask the question that was essentially answered.

Edited by Rangatira
  • Like 2

The broadcast arm of NZ racing should not be controlled by the wagering arm.

Broadcasting should have a wide range of objectives, one of which would be encouraging turnover but other important factors would include presenting the sport for owners, participants and fans.

NZ TAB is only concerned with turnover now.

This pretty much explains why so much of our media has been diluted.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

No Fixed Odds for Oamaru tomorrow?

Major improvement? Nah

When will they bring them out I wonder?

If they aren’t going to bring them out the night before they are going to lose a lot of wagering due to people who work not being able to get on during the day!!

12 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Major improvement? Nah

If they aren’t going to bring them out the night before they are going to lose a lot of wagering due to people who work not being able to get on during the day!!

They have to wait for paddy Power to set the odds for them.....

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Major improvement? Nah

Got a winner tomorrow brodster?  Mummy needs a new bra, after over indulging during the xmas period!!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Got a winner tomorrow brodster?  Mummy needs a new bra, after over indulging during the xmas period!!

This bra, panty set is doing the rounds on social media, $59.99. 

I think it would look good on any woman regardless of shape?

1BBD663A-610C-4CA2-A94D-4AE4BAB578BB.jpeg

Edited by Newmarket
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

They have to wait for paddy Power to set the odds for them.....

I thought that NZ bookies were still setting nz racing odds?

Backward step if they are coming out late I would have thought?

Maybe they might be more generous?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Joe Kidd said:

With some tinkering, they could increase the viewing experience considerably. 

What is the primary function of Trackside? Provide as many opportunities to bet as possible. The viewer experience, while important, is not on the top of the list I believe. Could be if they chose to differentiate between  the purpose of each channel but once you start increasing the number of people involved, organisational and economic costs go up substantially. I would expect the TAB have found their optimum balance and any further changes to trackside coverage will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

An area I'd like to see more of is coverage from the room.

Nothing like a camera poking in a stipes room. But how many genuine enquiries are there these days in harness? And in a big race?

As you say JK they don't have time or the organisational skills to pull it off. Bendigo Bunnies race in 3...

I don't see the introduction of wall to wall American racing on Trackside as a positive.

We all hate it. Just shows their priorities doesn't it. So our dreams of intriguing race coverage are indeed just that. Dreams.

There may be a few out there that value Trackside studio presenters input, but I don't count myself as one of them.

You would need a presenter who was a serious punter with specific knowledge for harness to be of any value. Or maybe a die hard enthusiast. Like, Brodie. What is the role of a presenter? All knowledgeable? Link between races? Bikini or Mankini for each?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Horseboy said:

The broadcast arm of NZ racing should not be controlled by the wagering arm.

Broadcasting should have a wide range of objectives, one of which would be encouraging turnover but other important factors would include presenting the sport for owners, participants and fans.

NZ TAB is only concerned with turnover now.

This pretty much explains why so much of our media has been diluted.

Excellent.

?

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

What is the primary function of Trackside? Provide as many opportunities to bet as possible. The viewer experience, while important, is not on the top of the list I believe. Could be if they chose to differentiate between  the purpose of each channel but once you start increasing the number of people involved, organisational and economic costs go up substantially. I would expect the TAB have found their optimum balance and any further changes to trackside coverage will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Nothing like a camera poking in a stipes room. But how many genuine enquiries are there these days in harness? And in a big race?

As you say JK they don't have time or the organisational skills to pull it off. Bendigo Bunnies race in 3...

We all hate it. Just shows their priorities doesn't it. So our dreams of intriguing race coverage are indeed just that. Dreams.

You would need a presenter who was a serious punter with specific knowledge for harness to be of any value. Or maybe a die hard enthusiast. Like, Brodie. What is the role of a presenter? All knowledgeable? Link between races? Bikini or Mankini for each?

Brodie in a mankini! It would be like the Fonz in his leather jacket

Hey Chachi?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Where's Thomo when you need him!?

If she was a Trackside presenter and wore that, It wouldn't matter what she said about race 28 at the Wallomululu greyhounds, I would take it all on-board and respect her thought provoking input. Having said that, she could probably convert me to Islam if she asked me to sign up at the right / wrong moment. 

• Champ Post 1

19 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I just had a crack.

Amazing odds! Overs and Overs!

Still not out at 9.34 pm

Used to be out at 5.30 pm

This is going To be detrimental for harness racing in NZ this new paddy Power crap.

As I have said numerous times the TAB doesn’t give a rats about harness racing .

It is all about sports betting as it costs them bugger all to have the wagering on it!

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months