Bit Of A Yarn

Kumara?

Guest CrossCodes
6 minutes ago, barryb said:

Look lets be honest, lets close all South Island Gallops, No one up here in NZ would miss it.

You guys are nutty Harness freaks, you can have that boring as batshit stuff & a few dog races.

You really are a grumpy old prick aren’t you? Lots of people prefer harness and/or dogs over the gallops, and there is a place for all of them, including the Sth Island, where else would all your slower Nth Island horses go? 

10 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

You really are a grumpy old prick aren’t you? Lots of people prefer harness and/or dogs over the gallops, and there is a place for all of them, including the Sth Island, where else would all your slower Nth Island horses go? 

Fark off, learn how to lighten up man, its typical of you South Islanders to bite hook like and sinker.  

This forum has become a bit of a SI whinge fest (or Labour Party wankers) thats for sure and you post just captures that.

PS: I am NOT old.

Edited by barryb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Shad said:

Not having much luck down there, seems there is a jinx , with all the abandonment and when they do get to race there's a nasty fall, is this the best track for coast racing, not in my opinion, but that's up to the powers that be.

Dont actually see much wrong with it, the fall was more to do with poor riding than anything else.

The Nuggets race was outstanding.

20 minutes ago, barryb said:

Dont actually see much wrong with it, the fall was more to do with poor riding than anything else.

Was indeed.

But I had to have a word with one of the feds about the poor riding overall lately...it's bloody scary at times and - IMO - it is the poor policing that contributes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Freda said:

Was indeed.

But I had to have a word with one of the feds about the poor riding overall lately...it's bloody scary at times and - IMO - it is the poor policing that contributes.

Bang on Pam, shit it looks horribly amatuerish to say the least, someone will lose a life if it doesnt improve.

• Like 2

I must say though I have been to Kumara and still have the caps from 3 yrs ago. I had a horse racing with Freda and you couldn't get a better person to be involved with on a race day. 

If you are looking to get involved in a horse Freda is your go to in the South Island, keeps you informed, is trustworthy, honest, & exceptionally talented. I have a young filly with her right now & I couldn't be happier with how things are going. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Freda said:

Was indeed.

The only senior riders at Kumara were Terry Moseley and Doni Pratisyou! The rest of the fields were made up with the "United Nations" of apprentice riders. For some of those internationals, riding "hands and heals" equates to flailing their arms up and down, unbalanced and not really effective steering or in riding a horse out ?

Does the south island not have an apprentice master, considering that most south island fields are 75%+ filled by apprenctice riders? Someone needs to take repsonsibilty and teach them beyond the basics!

Edited by Brando
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brando said:

The only senior riders at Kumara were Terry Moseley and Doni Pratisyou! The rest of the fields were made up with the "United Nations" of apprentice riders. For some of those internationals, riding "hands and heals" equates to flailing their arms up and down, unbalanced and not really effective steering or in riding a horse out ?

Does the south island not have an apprentice master, considering that most souht island fields are 75%+ filled by apprenctice riders? Someone needs to take repsonsibilty and teach them beyond the basics!

Yes,  David Walsh is the apprentice mentor.

But wrt the flapping and flailing of many of the young riders, unsightly and awkward it certainly is,  but the real danger to themselves and others is the inability to adequately manage/steer/ control their mounts, and the rapid changes of direction and speed which causes chain reactions through a field.

I suggested that some might benefit from a decent spell on the sideline,  not the few racedays now given.

Three months to reflect upon what the reins are for might be a good start...and also the [apparently] haphazard practice of granting riding licences needs refining IMO.

The employers of these kids have to stand responsible too,  a few spend a lot of time going through race replays and discussing ways to improve - but some, equally,  don't.

I used to insist my apprentices watched all their replays,  and any advice that I felt it beyond me to give [ as a non-racerider]  I would get a experienced senior to go through with them, as well as insisting that they rode to time when executing gallops.  Pretty normal way back but I don't think so much now.

A lad from the UK was telling me recently about the Jockey school he attended, it sounds very intense and would put our system to shame [ with respect to those who work hard to help and do their best ].

Even a potential work rider must be ticked off as competent by the school,  you can't just rock up to Nicky Henderson's yard and announce you can ride.  That would obviate the awful events recently experienced by a couple of NZ trainers with young and grossly inadequate riders being seriously hurt.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

18 minutes ago, Brando said:

Does the south island not have an apprentice master, considering that most south island fields are 75%+ filled by apprenctice riders? Someone needs to take repsonsibilty and teach them beyond the basics!

The Master was a bit busy riding the Trentham Stakes winner. Send them the video and if they can't then figure out from that how to know how fast they are going and keep/get a horse balanced before asking it, they probably should consider an alternate career.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Look lets be honest, lets close all South Island Gallops, No one up here in NZ would miss it.

You guys are nutty Harness freaks, you can have that boring as batshit stuff & a few dog races.

Ha. Well, when you settle down, think about. Kumara doesnt even have a pub, no accomodation, and to be perfectly honest, the track is shit. Level it with a digger, 

Build something decent at Hokitiki, it is the only place on the coast that attracts anyone anymore. 

Think outside the square Baz, nuggets could be held anywhere and it would be a hit

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, barryb said:

I would say the most abandonments of all the other coast tracks, put together,  a shame the track was fiddled with, previous to that never had any issues from what I recall. Early memories it resembled a sponge, soak up anything wet or fine, and race regardless.

• Champ Post 1

Look when Myers and few othe NI trainers abandon these venues they will be farked anyway, enjoy it whislt you can, there days are numbered despite any bullshit you trot out.

The racing from these venues is low grade stuff on tight turning dangerous as fark circuits, it doesnt have a future.

35 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Ha. Well, when you settle down, think about. Kumara doesnt even have a pub, no accomodation, and to be perfectly honest, the track is shit. Level it with a digger, 

Build something decent at Hokitiki, it is the only place on the coast that attracts anyone anymore. 

Think outside the square Baz, nuggets could be held anywhere and it would be a hit

Actually it does have a pub...a very nice one too....but the rest if your comments are spot on 

It's only silly Winston who wants to keep it and ' centralise' there...no one else is that stupid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Reefton is the only decent track surface on the Coast.  But equally they are all too small.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, curious said:

Maybe, but what's wrong with Westport?

Of the currently being used tracks I mean.  Westport has had the chutes removed and the running rail of course so pushing the proverbial uphill for it to ever hold another gallops meeting. And Witless's Waikato friends would hardly tolerate opening another gallops venue on the Coast.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, curious said:

Maybe, but what's wrong with Westport?

By far the best track on the coast, very good surface, and drains well, had the cyclone through it last February I think, 1 meter deep through tea rooms and track hammered with salt water killing a lot of grass, but still raced about 3 weeks later trots, and you wouldn't even known, but alas the running rail gone nowadays, probably wouldn't  take to much to get it back in action, bit off the beaten track. Think the shutes still there but maybe fenced off, the 1200m by the school, if my memory serves me correct, but I am a rusty old relic from a bygone era.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Shad said:

By far the best track on the coast, very good surface, and drains well, had the cyclone through it last February I think, 1 meter deep through tea rooms and track hammered with salt water killing a lot of grass, but still raced about 3 weeks later trots, and you wouldn't even known, but alas the running rail gone nowadays, probably wouldn't  take to much to get it back in action, bit off the beaten track. Think the shutes still there but maybe fenced off, the 1200m by the school, if my memory serves me correct, but I am a rusty old relic from a bygone era.

'By far the best track' in your opinion

Reefton in fact is comfortably the best track on the Coast - sits on a riverbed(equals superior drainage) the only one to run both trots and gallops and consistently produces a superior surface.  On average over the last ten years the track has been 2 points better than any of the others here for the gallopers. That's what happens when you have top farmers like the O'Malleys on board.

And Westport's chutes are definitely gone - why would the trotting Club keep them?

As far as racing three weeks after that damage the bloody trotters will race on anything.

And the (thoroughbred) trainers who wouldn't go there to race obviously didn't rate it the best on the Coast

Having said that the Westport trotting boys are great blokes(as are the  Reefton Trotting guys - we would be buggered without them)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pitman said:

I am inclined to agree IMO the Reefton track should stay and have two days racing. It is the best track on the Coast by far and has been for a very long time. 

Could well be, but it will never survive next 50 years. little tracks that only get used once a year, that are miles from anywhere just have no future. What brings people to reefton, races once a year, or family reunion with Mick G??

• Haha 2