Bit Of A Yarn

How bad is this?

Taku Umanga

Seen it happen at Manawatu, but this is the first time that I can recall the non-win pacers needing the support of the lower rated winners to make up a field at Alexandra Park.

What a sad state of affairs we have in the North at the moment!

Race 2 [6:09pm] ALABAR MOBILE PACE  $14,500, NON-WINNERS & UP TO R51 WITH COND., 2200m    Racebook    Gear    Preferential Grid   Bet now

For 3 yrs & older pacers with no wins for lifetime. Also R40 to R51 horses with winning stakes up to and including $8800 for lifetime. Preferential Barrier Draw Based on: Winning Stakes using the track grid. In addition to the programmed winning stake the HRNZ $1,500 non-winners first totalisator winning stake enhancement will be paid.
Book Form Age Sex     Name   Rating Draw Hdcp Driver Trainer  
1   3 f     Letherhairdown   MR50 1 Front Sailesh Abernethy Miss A M Matthews  
2 5782 3 g     Sheffield Sparky   MR48 2 Front Derek Balle D M Balle  
3 3320 3 g     Phil Bromac   MR49 3 Front David Butcher R W Green  
4 34369X 4 g     Just Wing It   MR48 4 Front   R W Green  
5 3095X8 3 g     Pekeson   MR47 5 Front Todd Macfarlane D W & Mrs C McGowan  
6 789010 4 g     Xmas Bay   R47 6 Front Maurice McKendry M J House  
7 X00255 4 m     Motu Little Princess   R50 7 Front Andre Poutama C C Sharpe  
8 193956 3 g     Peter Forsberg   R50 8 Front Jay Abernethy J H Abernethy  
---------------------------- Second Line ----------------------------
9 88X285 7 m     Lady Santanna   R40 9 Front Rhys Fensom Mrs P N Fensom  
10 319X97 5 g     Better Than Most   R51 10 Front   M H Salaivao  
11 626433 5 g     Bugalugs   R46 11 Front Peter Ferguson C F Webber  
12 264629 6 g     El Capitan   R44 12 Front   Ms C M Wigg
Edited by Taku Umanga

1 hour ago, Taku Umanga said:

What a sad state of affairs we have in the North at the moment!

Well identified, Taku.

A ten point spread in a banding that should have the strongest rating depth in harness.... how scary is this?

And the irony of this weak field is the stake is 14 500 which is great for a horse like Xmas Bay and its owners. However,  that is what the open class pacers race for in September and October.

Best deal in harness is to snag a good horse, get a few wins at Alexandra Park and then on sell for good money. 

Are either of these things good?

• Like 2

Alexandra park is showing positive leadership in programming  races like this. For too long this club has failed to utilize a pool of horses who would rather race at other venues for lesser money than run in events where they are non competitive. 

Criticizing the programming of a race which  attracts a good size field of similar ability horses,which should make for a good betting race, is not warranted in my opinion.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, the galah said:

Alexandra park is showing positive leadership in programming  races like this. For too long this club has failed to utilize a pool of horses who would rather race at other venues for lesser money than run in events where they are non competitive. 

Criticizing the programming of a race which  attracts a good size field of similar ability horses,which should make for a good betting race, is not warranted in my opinion.

The meeting was not programmed this way - there were just not enough non-win pacers nominated.

That being the case, the non-win pace should've been scrapped and the battlers allowed to race against their ilk - there were enough noms to do this, albeit the club would have had to drop one race.

You are speaking from the punters viewpoint which is fair enough - mine is from an owners.

It will be interesting to hear comments from the trainers of the non-winners in this race - I remember the outcry when the older trotters were first included in the non-win trots to enable them to get off the ground?

Edited by Taku Umanga
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

The meeting was not programmed this way - there were just not enough non-win pacers nominated.

That being the case, the non-win pace should've been scrapped and the battlers allowed to race against their ilk - there were enough noms to do this, albeit the club would have had to drop one race.

You are speaking from the punters viewpoint which is fair enough - mine is from an owners.

It will be interesting to hear comments from the trainers of the non-winners in this race - I remember the outcry when the older trotters were first included in the non-win trots to enable them to get off the ground?

If I am reading it right as to what you are saying.

You think those that would have had their race scrapped due to insufficient numbers, now actually have a race,but may not be happy as they have to race against horses who have won previously, albeit  those winners probably are horses of less ability than theirs?

I cant see why the non winners would be upset,but if they are they can always scratch and get a vet to write a vet certificate for some non existent   problem that will disappear by nomination time next week, like seems to happen so often.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

You think those that would have had their race scrapped due to insufficient numbers, now actually have a race,but may not be happy as they have to race against horses who have won previously, albeit  those winners probably are horses of less ability than theirs?

I said exactly the same to the trainers of maiden trotters that got upset when the winners were added to make up their fields ..... and got the "it's not fair on inexperienced horses" line.

Guarantee there will be a trainer or two here that think that.

In fact, one of those grumpy trainers has a winning pacer in the field above - I wonder if it'll be scratched because his being in there is not fair on inexperienced horses ..... yeah right.

Edited by Taku Umanga