Bit Of A Yarn

Winx boring - yeah na. Id watch her every week.

Chief Stipe

1 hour ago, SLB2.0 said:

On that run, Brutal is going to be a nice type. Ran better than any other plodder Winx has faced this season.

I know your'e just waiting for a response...'devils advocate' is the phrase...but if you think there has been a more amazing horse in your/our/my lifetime...let's hear who it is.Anywhere in the World...?

There hasn't.... but then again, the All Blacks wouldn't be considered the best in the world if they only won at Eden Park right?

The fact that she's only equal best in the world isn't a knock against her, it's a knock against the connections. With money being no issue to the rich owners, you'd think they would have tested her against the best.

I mean.... Brutal and Dreamforce just placed in the George Ryder. Their connections must be loving how weak these fields are!

Once again.. in case you can't read well.... nothing against Winx, she's amazing, but until she takes on any horse of note (1600-2000), then there's always that ? 

That's MY opinion.

I remember similar offerings when Black Caviar and Frankel were racing, I think the ratings should reflect the quality of horse they are racing against.

Hats off to Winx, fantastic horse, I hope she can leave some great progeny too, as so many of them don't. Tesio indicated that great horses often left there nervous energy on the track !

• Like 3

Why would she be? She doesn't get any pressure throughout the race. 

Would love to see at least one runner apply pressure but they're running for second and they know it.

I think her most exciting race to date is when she was caught in traffic in Melbourne. She, at least, had to fight for the win and wasn't handed it on a plate.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SLB2.0 said:

Why would she be? She doesn't get any pressure throughout the race. 

Would love to see at least one runner apply pressure but they're running for second and they know it.

I think her most exciting race to date is when she was caught in traffic in Melbourne. She, at least, had to fight for the win and wasn't handed it on a plate.

I disagree it is her dominance that doesn't allow anything to pressure her.  She can pull phenomenal sectionals at will on any surface.  Never seen a horse that has been able to do it like she can.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brown fox said:

I love watching her run but cannot remember the last time I had a bet on one of Winx's races.

Has anybody seen any figures on how betting holds up?

Offshore  a 100 to win gets you a jug most of the time. And as a bonus you get to see the best perform 32 times in a row.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SLB2.0 said:

Once again.. in case you can't read well.... nothing against Winx, she's amazing, but until she takes on any horse of note (1600-2000), then there's always that ? 

That's MY opinion.

Last time I looked Hartnell was a fairly decent horse (winning in excess of $6m) & shes beaten him 7 times at various distances in that range. If not for her he would have won well in excess of $10m.

Probably would pay to do a smidge of research first before posting.

Edited by barryb
  • Like 1

When people who are paid to analyse horses say she is best they have seen in 50 to 60 years , it is pretty hard to go against.

We always get the argument about travelling but that applies in reverse too, they could always come down under and take her on if so inclined, what is Cox Plate worth ?    No, reckon she has nothing to prove and feel when she's gone we'll realise  just how privileged we have been to watch her race, probably be no better in my lifetime anyway.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, barryb said:

Last time I looked Hartnell was a fairly decent horse (winning in excess of $6m) & shes beaten him 7 times at various distances in that range. If not for her he would have won well in excess of $10m.

Probably would pay to do a smidge of research first before posting.

Hartnell isn't bad for a second-rate UK export which took advantage of some absolute piss poor middle-distance/staying fields in Australia.... but I'm talking about GOOD horses. 

Before coming to Aus, Hartnell ran 15 lengths behind the winner in the St Leger Trial and 6 lengths behind in the St Leger.

First start in Aus - just some 5 months later... runs second in the Chipping Norton.... doesn't that tell you something about the quality of non-sprinters in Australia?

Do a smidge of research before posting next time.

Arrogant... a dead-set 3200m stayer in the making, ran their next "superstar" The Autumn Sun to within a short margin over 2000m.

That's after dropping back in distance from 2400m in the NZ Derby. It's plain and simple - the middle distance/staying form in Australia is very, very weak.

What does that say for Winx? Well... she's beating up on horses that would run 30 lengths behind the winner in the Arc, yet she remains in Australia without challenge and racks up multiple wins in the who cares Group 1's (George Ryder/Chipping).

Then.. you have a horse called Enable. She has won the four Oaks races, the Prix de Arc and Breeders' Cup Turf. Those wins came in four different countries alone.

That's a test of a good horse.

22 minutes ago, SLB2.0 said:

Hartnell isn't bad for a second-rate UK export which took advantage of some absolute piss poor middle-distance/staying fields in Australia.... but I'm talking about GOOD horses. 

Before coming to Aus, Hartnell ran 15 lengths behind the winner in the St Leger Trial and 6 lengths behind in the St Leger.

First start in Aus - just some 5 months later... runs second in the Chipping Norton.... doesn't that tell you something about the quality of non-sprinters in Australia?

Do a smidge of research before posting next time.

Are you related to Thomass?

So a horse that has won over $6m is second rate? & if not for Winx would have won well in excess of $10m.

16 hours ago, barryb said:

Are you related to Thomass?

So a horse that has won over $6m is second rate? & if not for Winx would have won well in excess of $10m.

You shouldn't be bad mouthing moi Bazz...

You not only can't work out there's a mathematical equation for measuring ground lost while going around in circles...something you do well

But you can't add up your losses properly...I make it over 1 grand now

...you 820... or some fantasical fantasy

33 minutes ago, SLB2.0 said:

Barry - based on your prize money argument, Redzel must be better than Black Caviar was?

Of course not..... You can cherry pick any statistic you want, but that doesn't amount to a sound reason.

Again another twisted load of bollocks, you certainly are related to Thomass.

I only pointed out how stupid your statement was regarding she hasnt raced against any good horses, I pointed out a very good one who has run 2nd to her on more than a few occassions. 

You are forgetting she only has to beat what lines up against her, which she has done more successfully than any other horse in history.

She has not only beaten them but in the vast majority of times she has fair spanked them.

Edited by barryb
  • Haha 1