Bit Of A Yarn

tco2 readings

hunterthepunter

5 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

interesting looking at tco2 for Rangiora classic chase Auckland 33.3 second highest for the week Ashley locaz 5th highest for the week 31.9 and no reading for the fixer??? so why has his reading not been printed???

My knowledge of this is extremely limited but those numbers are quite low are they not? and do these numbers actually mean anything worthwhile?

24 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Pretty sure it’s a 36 threshold so yes very low. 

I thought so.

These numbers never seem to make the news anymore anyway. I remembered when they seemed to be in the news a bit but seemed to have disappeared.

image.png.f3087134b9c48c5f75fad1c99c02cfbc.png

and here is the previous week too.

Geez HTP, one might think you are presenting results as you see fit to use against a particular stable. However, I know you are not like that so will say nothing further. The Fixer is there, from the previous week, way down the list. You will be able to sleep easy now.

image.thumb.png.78145ed8e8c8c52072a10856be2239ab.png

I've looked at these tco2 readings for some years.  It used to be an effective tool,albeit sometimes with the odd questionable result.

Personally I believe its a way for hrnz to say they are doing x number of testing without x  number of positives.

I believe its just a  smoke screen to  quote numbers to fool people into thinking performance enhancers are not in use .

When was the last time anyone had a positive for a high tco2 level.  Maybe Scott Dickson last year.  Who really knows,as the riu has a policy of hiding the releasing of information relating to positives.

The question has to be is tco2 testing a cost effective way of detecting the use of performance enhancers.   I believe the answer is clear,no it is not,and that is why hrnz still put the resources they do into tco2 testing. They know the results they get are what they want.

There was a time when tco2 used to publish the actual readings,now im guessing they publish readings with the error of 1.00 millimole per litre of plasma factored in. Why else was there an overnight change to published readings a couple of years ago. Who came up with that bright idea and why?

As to tco2  testing. It clearly is an indication that those with higher levels should be looked at more closely when it comes to other testing. However I don't believe those in charge use tco2 for that purpose. They don't want to go there.Call me cynical,but i believe I am a realist.

Finally the  figures quoted in respect of the  all stars earlier in this thread. Personally I don't think they are unusually high.

The 33.3 rating is higher than you would expect,but they are not alone in having some figures consistently like that.  That in itself to me is an indicator that tco2 testing fails to adequately get results which are true reflections of its supposed purpose. The money spent on tco2 compromises more effective testing. Just the way industry leaders want it.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

that whole field was tested that day so wonder why the fixers tco2 was not put up

If the whole field was tested at Rangiora, then where are the readings from Hail Christian, Letspendanitetogetha, Forgotten Highway and Alta Orlando - Thefixer is not the only one missing from that week's list?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

If the whole field was tested at Rangiora, then where are the readings from Hail Christian, Letspendanitetogetha, Forgotten Highway and Alta Orlando - Thefixer is not the only one missing from that week's list?

We all know HTP screws facts around to cover his vendetta against the All Stars when his own trainers record isn't actually that squeaky clean either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

stop being a dickhead Richie I was there and over the speakers they called for all horses at that race to be blood tested

Do they still do that down South?  In the North they just turn up at your stall and tell you you're being tested - haven't heard an announcement over the loudspeaker in years.

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

horse count landeck returns a reading of 36 in my book that is a positive but Riu have it as a negative so what's going on???

image.png.e2afd5dd04c45dd41d63a5112668f26f.png

If I read it correctly the following would suggest the margin of error saves a positive being recorded.

As a consequence Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) have prescribed, within their respective rules, levels, which when exceeded are considered a breach of the rules. The threshold level for an offence being committed is 36 millimoles per litre of plasma. There is a margin of error of +/- 1.00 millimole per litre of plasma.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

image.png.e2afd5dd04c45dd41d63a5112668f26f.png

If I read it correctly the following would suggest the margin of error saves a positive being recorded.

As a consequence Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) have prescribed, within their respective rules, levels, which when exceeded are considered a breach of the rules. The threshold level for an offence being committed is 36 millimoles per litre of plasma. There is a margin of error of +/- 1.00 millimole per litre of plasma.

Like I said earlier,i think the margin of error has already been factored in. Just my theory on why the published results dropped overnight a couple of years ago. I think the reading would actually be 37 minus the 1.00 margin of error, bringing it down to 36.0 which is the highest acceptable level.

36.1 would be needed for a positive

The jca referred to 36.0 being the highest acceptable level in the scott Dickson case last year.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1