Bit Of A Yarn

And you're surprised there's a growing lobby to ban whips?

I think its five max....but stand to be corrected.

I sure did watch,  recorded each day and was glued to the TV when work was finished.

Obviously,  Royal Ascot is the showpiece of all that is good about English racing,  no doubt there is plenty not so grand, but yes,  the jocks and the horses,  off the bridle and still finding, and no excessive punishment with whips but still some very strong riding.

• Champ Post 1

Those are the new rules in France I think Freda...

So PARKES 33...or was it 35...to win by a head...

Dettori on the World stage....7 max...ask yourself how out of touch we are...

Over the course of the five days of Royal Ascot there were 11 bans dished out for misuse of the whip. Ten of those were for exceeding the permitted limit of seven strikes, while one other was for using it in the incorrect place. That three of those excessive use bans came on winners (Afaak, Biometric and Thanks Be) led to a reopening of the debate as to whether the punishments for whip offences are a sufficient deterrent against breaking them.

So yet another whip violation in an Amatuer riders race yesterday...the winner Bren Harrison

...the runner up Luke Myers was very lucky he got held up...

..this bloke rides like a boy possessed...if he hadn't have been held up...he too would have been on yet another whip violation ...once clear he went totally nuts and thrashed the living daylights out of his mount..

...simply awful stuff

• Champ Post 1

On 20/06/2019 at 5:53 PM, Thomass said:

Wake up...

Generation Zee are the future...and caring for Animals is one of their things...

Nothing turns them off more than watching Parkes wackaroo 33 times in a race...

They would probably give horses the vote.

(This comment will not read well in 100 years)

21 hours ago, Thomass said:

So yet another whip violation in an Amatuer riders race yesterday...the winner Bren Harrison

...the runner up Luke Myers was very lucky he got held up...

..this bloke rides like a boy possessed...if he hadn't have been held up...he too would have been on yet another whip violation ...once clear he went totally nuts and thrashed the living daylights out of his mount..

...simply awful stuff

I know you are agin amateur races...just take the whips off them - what would be the problem with that?

In S.Africa races are run without whips on occasion,  and I ( personally) can see no reason why apprentices need whips either. Most flap around aimlessly, far better that they learn to balance their mounts and push them with energy and suitable body actions.

Reduce the allowable limit for seniors and we might start to see some better riding.

Very good idea and I think that's been tossed around here before...

...besides there's an extremely wide variance in experience in these races...yet no weight allowances for that...

...banning the whip would even things up considerably and remove the continual whip violations in these races

• 2 months later...

I don't agree with a total ban.  The key is proper use and I don't think our apprentices are trained properly in that regard if not for the fact that there are very few left who know.  It's pleasing to see the time has passed where a jockey doesn't get questioned for NOT using a whip.  Good jockey's are horsemen who know when a horse is giving it all or cheating.

The vociferous few that are calling for the ban of whips don't want to stop there.  They want to ban racing completely!  So virtue signalling on banning whips isn't going to stop their crusade.