Bit Of A Yarn

Oldest trainer to train a winner ?

Good to see Ivan Schwamm notch one up today, would he be 86 years old maybe, horse has an unusual trotting gait but seems to have a motor in there so maybe can win more than one.

Someone will know if anyone older has trained a winner before or his exact age.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Brodie will be so frustrated by the TAB I am sure he will turn to training in the future and be going well into his 90s. We won't be talking about one win, we will be asking who was the oldest premiership trainer in years gone by..

Na, no money in training horses in NZ.

Like going to bed when I want and getting up when I want!

The AllStars sin everything and they still bitch and moan about how hard it is, so why would anyone want to be getting up early on a winters morning??

• Like 2

I admit to knowing nothing about the handicapping system but Ivan's horse Majestic Sunset won a weak maiden trot at Timaru and has a rating of 55,  he's racing Friday and Jerry Garcia is in the field with a rating of 52, Jerry is a decent lower grade trotter who is always there or thereabouts at Addington finishing in the top four in 7 of his last 10 starts,  one of those races was a $20k race finishing 4th but running 8 seconds faster than what Majestic Sunset ran in winning his maiden.

How has he have a rating of 52 when claiming a cheque in 12 of his 15 starts since January?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I admit to knowing nothing about the handicapping system but Ivan's horse Majestic Sunset won a weak maiden trot at Timaru and has a rating of 55,  he's racing Friday and Jerry Garcia is in the field with a rating of 52, Jerry is a decent lower grade trotter who is always there or thereabouts at Addington finishing in the top four in 7 of his last 10 starts,  one of those races was a $20k race finishing 4th but running 8 seconds faster than what Majestic Sunset ran in winning his maiden.

How has he have a rating of 52 when claiming a cheque in 12 of his 15 starts since January?

That is a million dollar question.

Never has winning a race early in your career ever been so detrimental to the interests of a trotter. You are simply nuts to win a race in your first few starts unless you are a gun horse on the way up. 

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Jerry Garcia is light years ahead of Majestic Sunset by way of their current ability.

Personally believe that Jerry hasn’t been put into the race at all the last couple

of starts at Addington, why I am not too sure?

The handicapping  system that was brought in just doesn’t work and never will the way it currently is!

Ridiculous when winners can get below non winners in ratings!

There are many horses that have done exceedingly well out of it like E.g Aveross Rustler, Pay Me Visa who have won recently and would not have won half the no. Of races under the old system!

Back to the drawing board or the no. Of horses racing In the tighter class races are going to dwindle and more are off overseas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Na, no money in training horses in NZ.

Like going to bed when I want and getting up when I want!

The AllStars sin everything and they still bitch and moan about how hard it is, so why would anyone want to be getting up early on a winters morning??

did you not make a dollar when you trained all the winners wearing yellow colours with the blue diamonds brodie

• Haha 2

On 1/07/2019 at 6:15 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Brodie will be so frustrated by the TAB I am sure he will turn to training in the future and be going well into his 90s. We won't be talking about one win, we will be asking who was the oldest premiership trainer in years gone by..

would need to get a wriggle on getting his licence

• Haha 3