Bit Of A Yarn

Move over Shartin...for Balraj

I don't know where to start with this one. ,

.....Balraj, the victim of a bizarre drive in Central Otago when raging hot favourite, is now a buzz horse in Oz.

....1.49.1, seems like a stroll in the park for some of these horses that go over there. I reckon I might break 2 minutes if I started running now on those fast tracks.

....NZ horses just seem so superior to Aussie ones overall.

Balraj sparkles again

8 August 2019 , News

By Adam Hamilton

BALRAJ crossed the ditch without much fanfare, but it hasn’t taken long for him to become one off the buzz horses of Australia.

The lightly-raced Art Major three-year-old is unbeaten in four Aussie starts and made one heck of a statement scoring at his first Menangle run yesterday (Tuesday).

Balraj won by 22.4m, but it was his time which did most of the talking.

The gelding’s 1min49.1sec mile was an Australasian record for a three-year-old, slicing 0.5sec off Muscle Factory’s record.

Just as he did winning by what seemed the length of the home straight at Newcastle a few weeks ago, driver Robbie Morris crushed his rivals with a 26.1sec split from the 800-400m. 

It’s the second time in as many starts the Shaun Simiana-trained pacer has smashed a record.

His 1min50.9sec mile win at Newcastle two starts back on July 15 was an all-aged record for the track which has hosted some off the sport’s greats in the Newcastle Mile.

Balraj raced just five times in NZ for trainer Steven McRae, missing a place in first three runs then showing a glimpse of his potential winning back-to-back Forbury Park races on February 21 and March 7.

He was sold to Australia soon after and won his Aussie debut at Penrith by 7.1m on June 6.

Since then he’s won by 25.7m at Newcastle on June 14, 55.9m again at Newcastle on July 15 and now Menangle by 22.4m

Imagine the times our horses would go over there if they had their blood slimmed!

Yes our roses are far superior to the average horse bred I. Oz, and bear in mind that a lot of our horses that get exported over to Oz are last their best here as well!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Imagine the times our horses would go over there if they had their blood slimmed!

Yes our roses are far superior to the average horse bred I. Oz, and bear in mind that a lot of our horses that get exported over to Oz are last their best here as well!

and we smell better too.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Sorry, was meant to be blood spinned 

roses was meant to be horses lol

Edited by Brodie

What do you think Balraj would have sold for? a little potential but not ground breaking so I'd imagine a lowish price but you never know as some of these ex-pats easily run 100 plus times in their career and if racing in Vic or NSW very good $$$ on offer.

I also see that good little Nelson Mare "Monaro Maro left for Victoria last week.

15 hours ago, Dougie said:

What do you think Balraj would have sold for? a little potential but not ground breaking so I'd imagine a lowish price but you never know as some of these ex-pats easily run 100 plus times in their career and if racing in Vic or NSW very good $$$ on offer.

I also see that good little Nelson Mare "Monaro Maro left for Victoria last week.

I would be interested to know too but I do not know such things.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Next miracle mile winner?

I doubt it. Most of his opposition in that race were struggling to beat 1.59 . Wont get it that easy once the opposition gets tougher and has to come from behind or be taken on in front. Over hyped might be the catch word here, plenty of naturally quick horses out there. Get it down to 1.47/8 and I might take notice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

I doubt it. Most of his opposition in that race were struggling to beat 1.59 . Wont get it that easy once the opposition gets tougher and has to come from behind or be taken on in front. Over hyped might be the catch word here, plenty of naturally quick horses out there. Get it down to 1.47/8 and I might take notice.

agree but not a lot of horses can run last 400 metres in 25.2 

3 hours ago, globederby12 said:

True and a 1.49 at that shit menangle track equates to a 1.56 at Alexandra Park so those times they run I take with a pinch of salt 

7 hours ago, Harewood said:

Now two from two in Aus after winning again on Wed. 

Just watched the replay, very impressive and I know didn't beat anything but the time was super quick.

Obviously we don't know the sale price, but if this horse is sound and runs for 4 plus years the new owners are going to make plenty of $$$

• Like 3