Bit Of A Yarn

22 Thoroughbred Race Meetings Tomorrow 24 August 2019

Chief Stipe

Its a smidge more than that Freda.

Its having a public that actually cares about racing, here in NZ nobody gives a fark, racing has truly been lost to the NZ public other than a fun activity during Xmas.

I must admit even a racing freak like myself cant be bothered the last 2 or 3 times to venture along as its just too damn boring at the track, when they start to lose people like me then racing is totally farked.

I paid a membership to Te Rapa 6 weeks ago and havent heard a fucking thing since, where is my membership ticket or even a bloody acknowlegdement ffs. Just an email to say pop in and collect your membership would be nice, but nope not a bloody dickeybird, the club system is totally rooted and the quicker its done away with the better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Its a smidge more than that Freda.

Its having a public that actually cares about racing, here in NZ nobody gives a fark, racing has truly been lost to the NZ public other than a fun activity during Xmas.

I must admit even a racing freak like myself cant be bothered the last 2 or 3 times to venture along as its just too damn boring at the track, when they start to lose people like me then racing is totally farked.

I paid a membership to Te Rapa 6 weeks ago and havent heard a fucking thing since, where is my membership ticket or even a bloody acknowlegdement ffs. Just an email to say pop in and collect your membership would be nice, but nope not a bloody dickeybird, the club system is totally rooted and the quicker its done away with the better.

Spot on Barry, you have hit the nail on the head. Aside from a few handfuls of days a year when there is a bit of atmosphere on course why would you want to be on course let  alone pay for the privilege  

I happened to be in Hawera for there Saturday race day last year, reasonable numbers in the members and plenty of people in the public area doing anything but betting or watching the races, in fact most were at a dance party under the stand probably completely unaware what was happening outside.  

Dont disagree with what you both say,  but I dont feel that it is the 'club' system that is ti blame,  rather the personnel in that system.

Any model can work if the people are keen and give a damn - if the operators dont give a shite then no system will work.

As a pale stale male I really hate being labelled as part of the problem.  I can assure you I can party as hard as any 30 year old!!

The issue is at the top - NZRB (RITA) and NZTR.  Years and years of wasted resources and no investment or worse bad investment.  The clubs have been starved.  

Wouldn't matter who you had running a club now as the bank accounts are empty.

36 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

As a pale stale male I really hate being labelled as part of the problem.  I can assure you I can party as hard as any 30 year old!!

The issue is at the top - NZRB (RITA) and NZTR.  Years and years of wasted resources and no investment or worse bad investment.  The clubs have been starved.  

Individually No, collectively yes its the problem alright. Zero diversity Chief, women are the untapped race betting market, yet there representation in the industry is very poor.

Edited by barryb

4 minutes ago, barryb said:

Individually No, collectively yes its the problem alright. Zero diversity Chief, women are the untapped race betting market, yet there representation in the industry is very poor.

But there is little or no relationship between women being involved in managing the industry and targeting them as a potential punter.  Certainly at the club level.

On 24/08/2019 at 9:25 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Heres the reality: if New Zealand became a state of Australia, our racing industry would rate below Northern Territory's racing.and thats saying something. But that is a fact.  I just read De Lores's latest blurb.something  like 140 people employed by the 'Racing Board' earning over $100,000.  Ask yourself where the main problem here lies.

• Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, Kopia said:

Heres the reality: if New Zealand became a state of Australia, our racing industry would rate below Northern Territory's racing.and thats saying something. But that is a fact.  I just read De Lores's latest blurb.something  like 140 people employed by the 'Racing Board' earning over $100,000.  Ask yourself where the main problem here lies.

140 thats a shocker.  Technology should mean no middle man. i.e. no TAB or bookies. Therefore just punters and clubs. It can happen. In fact its the only way racing can survive.