Bit Of A Yarn

Still afloat

Ashley

No not sunk.  Still chugging along.  To be fair not making any ground but haven't lost any either.

I had to make some hosting changes this week which involved shifting to a different server.  Was paying huge costs for a lot of storage I didn't need.

I entrusted the last part of the transition with the host company thinking it would be easier.  However I was wrong.  Add to that the archaic internet infrastructure we have in this country there was a lag time between when things came live in the new server.  If you lived in Europe like Bulgaria or Albania you wouldn't have seen any outage.

Some BOAY members thought that I had suspended their accounts but in fact it was the old server account that had been suspended.

On reflection the NZ TAB would be be better hosted offshore than with Spark.  I suspect that the Trackside streaming is using similar services to Spark Sport.  The reality is all they are doing is retailing off the back of overseas vendors.  They were a bit mischievous in blaming overseas.

I am going to make an official complaint.

Any site that publishes incorrect information is bound to correct the information if its of say commercial significance. Racecafe i.e. Lee Mckenzie published and inferred that BOAY had closed. When I pointed out that it was fake news I was retaliated against by being banned from Racecafe i.e. posting. I've posted there ever since it started in year 2000. Thats almost 20 years.  

Retaliation is something that authorities in many spheres take seriously so I am expecting good response.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

I am going to make an official complaint.

Any site that publishes incorrect information is bound to correct the information if its of say commercial significance. Racecafe i.e. Lee Mckenzie published and inferred that BOAY had closed. When I pointed out that it was fake news I was retaliated against by being banned from Racecafe i.e. posting. I've posted there ever since it started in year 2000. Thats almost 20 years.  

Retaliation is something that authorities in many spheres take seriously so I am expecting good response.

Did you really expect a response any different to the one you got?

I understand Weasel didn't get a lot of love either.

Guest CrossCodes

To be fair a bit of communication would have been nice to let people know there were issues.

My account was ‘suspensed’ for 3 days, then when I tried again and come back there is nothing from admin to say anything was wrong?

How were people to know if it was a fault of ours or yours if you don’t communicate with your posters?

6 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

To be fair a bit of communication would have been nice to let people know there were issues.

My account was ‘suspensed’ for 3 days, then when I tried again and come back there is nothing from admin to say anything was wrong?

How were people to know if it was a fault of ours or yours if you don’t communicate with your posters?

It was nowhere near three days!  Plus YOUR account was never suspended. 

The internet in some places was pointing to the wrong server.

Depending on where you lived in NZ some wouldn't have experienced any issues.

The main telcos in NZ can't get their shyte together and we have third world performance.

Major DNS nodes in the world make the changes in minutes.  In NZ it was all over the place.

In some cases those sitting behind a corporate DNS server could have taken days.  But that is just bad practice on their part.

Guest CrossCodes
1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

It was nowhere near three days!  Depending on where you lived in NZ you wouldn't have experienced any issues.

It was at least 2 anyway.

All I’m saying is if you knew there were issues a simple post letting people know or a quick apology wouldn’t have gone amiss.

4 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

It was at least 2 anyway.

All I’m saying is if you knew there were issues a simple post letting people know or a quick apology wouldn’t have gone amiss.

I appreciate what you are saying but from my perspective it seemed to be largely OK.

If you did have two days down then I am assuming you were trying to access from a corporate environment where their DNS update policy is archaic.  Probably their network provider is Spark!

My beef is this its quite simple.

Racecafe professes to be a news site. Therefore if someone points out the "news" is fake that should be listened to. Just imagine if major news sites took the attitude if you submit an objection to fake news you are banned or deleted etc. Quite frankly Racecafe does not deserve the free news feeds from Racing Desk with that attitude. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

My beef is this its quite simple.

Racecafe professes to be a news site. Therefore if someone points out the "news" is fake that should be listened to. Just imagine if major news sites took the attitude if you submit an objection to fake news you are banned or deleted etc. Quite frankly Racecafe does not deserve the free news feeds from Racing Desk with that attitude. 

Https://Bitofayarn.com/racenews

Racecafe has an "Editor" 

• Haha 1

talk about the pot washer calling the kettle black.  this comes up any time I log into cafe

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.4.39 (Unix) mod_hive/6.27 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 Server at www.racecafe.co.nz Port 443
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1