Bit Of A Yarn

Todd Mitchell & Manawatu Stipes

jess

Hang your heads in shame.

Race 6.  An absolute disgrace.  Watch it and weep.  Mitchell thrashes the Micheal House trained $24 shot Changearound and on the second attempt finally wrests the lead from the $6 shot Ideal Tiger.  Having taken out the main threat to his stable-mate, Mitchell's poor horse is gone at about the 800 and barely jogging as it finishes 99 lengths away.  And the Micheal House trained, Blair Orange driven favorite, having sat back watching all the dirty work get done at the front for him - peels out and wins.

3 Questions:

1. How could you say Mitchell gave his horse the best chance? (actually it was quite heart-breaking seeing that poor horse drag itself off the track after the run it had)

2. How could anyone but a blind man say that wasn't team driving?

3. How could the stipes not see what everyone else saw - and do something about it?  

That sort of thing just leaves a dirty taste in your mouth.  The owners of the sacrificed horse won't complain - because guess what - the House stable is in the ownership.  So we rely on the stewards to address it.  But it seems that faith is misplaced.  They do nothing - not even asking the question it seems.  Absolute rubbish.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jess said:

Race 6.  An absolute disgrace.  Watch it and weep.  Mitchell thrashes the Micheal House trained $24 shot Changearound and on the second attempt finally wrests the lead from the $6 shot Ideal Tiger.  Having taken out the main threat to his stable-mate, Mitchell's poor horse is gone at about the 800 and barely jogging as it finishes 99 lengths away.  And the Micheal House trained, Blair Orange driven favorite, having sat back watching all the dirty work get done at the front for him - peels out and wins.

3 Questions:

1. How could you say Mitchell gave his horse the best chance? (actually it was quite heart-breaking seeing that poor horse drag itself off the track after the run it had)

3. How could the stipes not see what everyone else saw - and do something about it?  

That sort of thing just leaves a dirty taste in your mouth.  The owners of the sacrificed horse won't complain - because guess what - the House stable is in the ownership.  So we rely on the stewards to address it.  But it seems that faith is misplaced.  They do nothing - not even asking the question it seems.  Absolute rubbish.

You may well be right but at the end of the day if they did question him, all Mitchell would say is the horse races better in front and then the stipes would be happy with that explanation and the worst penalty(if you could call it that) they would give is "we will be watching this horse to see how it is driven in future".

I have seen it done and said hundreds of times before without question so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Its manawatu and it seems all sorts of things happen there that go unnoticed. Pretty much as you would expect. I think because they are a lesser class of horse some drivers don't care too much how hard they drive them sometimes.

As to the T. Mitchell drive. Yes it was a shocker but personally I think it was just a testosterone thing and he was driving a horse he had regard for. 

As noworenever says,if they do question a driver they just accept the explanation anyway.  

For example go have a look at the drive on Burst out laughing in race 6.  The driver explained the reason for it running into the middle of the track and losing any chance,then being steered wider when its stablemate came through was because it locked onto the outside rein.

Yet if you watch the video it is actually hanging in with 700m to go and runs with its head turned out when,according to its driver, it is supposedly locked on the outside rein.Isn't that the complete opposite of the explanation given.   

What about on day one. In race 6 the stipes report noted the winner checked outside runners turning for home.. If you watch the video of that the fourth horse would have beaten the winner but for the interference but no thought of an inquiry there.

Its manawatu. Its all very mysterious some times.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jess said:

3 Questions:

Took one for the team! ......all stars also experts at it, but Abit cleverer than that...... Surprised driver not even reprimanded for not giving his horse every chance....as you said well beaten with a lap to go.

Screenshot_20191101-090752-218.png

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

if MR HOUSE was not racing his horses up there the track would be closed down for good 

That's true and I don't think House expects any team driving. Orange doesn't team drive. Doesn't need to.

I meant to say in an earlier post that Mitchell showed No regard for his horse when using the tactics he did. .

The point is punters will not bother investing on manawatu if they don't see the stipes taking the job seriously at meetings like manawatu. The same standard of driving should apply in every race. Manawatu should not have a lesser standard.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, the galah said:

That's true and I don't think House expects any team driving. Orange doesn't team drive. Doesn't need to.

I meant to say in an earlier post that Mitchell showed No regard for his horse when using the tactics he did. .

The point is punters will not bother investing on manawatu if they don't see the stipes taking the job seriously at meetings like manawatu. The same standard of driving should apply in every race. Manawatu should not have a lesser standard.

small fields easy kill punting plus Blair would be on best horse anyway

On 31/10/2019 at 10:21 PM, jess said:

After watching the video and reading the stipe's report you couldn't but it is all explained away by the vet check. After watching its Tuesday run I have no idea how Mitchell would think it would 'win'  on Thursday driving it so aggressively like that. 

Caveat: If you are an amateur driver you would have been questioned and suspended for reducing your horses chances.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:25 AM, Flagship uberalles said:

The race was gifted to Mucho Macho Man but proving it was team driving is another matter. The explanation for Burst Out Laughing drifting wide on the track which allowed the stablemate MMM to run through on its inside is feasible but the whole thing was not a good look.

They can't prove anything, and remember INCA is continuing, I reckon they don't want to even look for the possibility.  Plus, I am always a touch dismayed by the faith people put in the stipes. How many genuine inquiries  are there these days that aren't related to horses breaking or getting a fair start?

Fair call and you are right, the faith is misplaced. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

After watching the video and reading the stipe's report you couldn't but it is all explained away by the vet check. After watching its Tuesday run I have no idea how Mitchell would think it would 'win'  on Thursday driving it so aggressively like that. 

Caveat: If you are an amateur driver you would have been questioned and suspended for reducing your horses chances.

The race was gifted to Mucho Macho Man but proving it was team driving is another matter. The explanation for Burst Out Laughing drifting wide on the track which allowed the stablemate MMM to run through on its inside is feasible but the whole thing was not a good look.

They can't prove anything, and remember INCA is continuing, I reckon they don't want to even look for the possibility.  Plus, I am always a touch dismayed by the faith people put in the stipes. How many genuine inquiries  are there these days that aren't related to horses breaking or getting a fair start?

Fair call and you are right, the faith is misplaced. 

I think now more a very very poor drive than anything else, the team driving is a fine line, I would consider what the all stars do team driving through power of numbers, but obviously a rule very hard to enforce.

• Champ Post 1