Bit Of A Yarn

Cambridge Crash and Other Things

That was a bad one yesterday. I haven't seen one like that for awhile. Especially the catapulting. Sounds like some pretty rough injuries involved for a few of the drivers.

Matty Williamson looked a bit non plussed when left behind at the start in the first at Cromwell which had breakers than trotters in it. It will be interesting to see if Slainte is declared a non runner as it reared fractionally before the tapes went.

And...the winning post at Cromwell makes me yearn for giant fruit 

13 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

and good luck to Cambridge having a meeting on Friday and then Saturday. One of those meetings won't have many horses at it. 

North Island racing has lost the plot.

it's the te aroha grass moved to Cambridge on the Saturday, they are slowly killing the fun in the north island, with thames grass trotting canned. that used to be such a well attended both horse wise and people wise meeting. it almost seems like the are trying deliberately to stop harness racing on the grass all together up here. grass track racing so good for getting families and new people to the track

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

it's the te aroha grass moved to Cambridge on the Saturday, they are slowly killing the fun in the north island, with thames grass trotting canned. that used to be such a well attended both horse wise and people wise meeting. it almost seems like the are trying deliberately to stop harness racing on the grass all together up here. grass track racing so good for getting families and new people to the track

Husband: Honey, I want to take out out on Friday night.

Wife: Where to?

Husband: Cambridge raceway

Wife: Sounds great

Husband: And I want us to have a big family day out on Saturday. 

Wife: Sounds great.

Would anybody be even brave enough to try and have this conversation? Even dedicated horse followers are not going to the same place twice in two days. If Saturday was a grass track meeting you could suggest it to the missus but no one is choosing to go to a grit track.

Well, that is it then for harness in the north. They are killing the base for the future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Husband: Honey, I want to take out out on Friday night.

Wife: Sounds great

Husband: And I want us to have a big family day out on Saturday. 

Wife: Sounds great.

Would anybody be even brave enough to try and have this conversation? Even dedicated horse followers are not going to the same place twice in two days. If Saturday was a grass track meeting you could suggest it to the missus but no one is choosing to go to a grit track.

Well, that is it then for harness in the north. They are killing the base for the future.

that's gold happy

• Like 1

Garrick Knight's article from HRNZ. Must be one of the roughest crashes for a long time.

Trio of drivers injured after nasty Cambridge smash

6 January 2020 , News

By Garrick Knight

The fall-out from a horror crash at Cambridge yesterday will see three senior North Island drivers on the sidelines for a couple of months.

The incident saw race 8 abandoned soon after the start when Afortunado (Jay Abernethy) couldn’t avoid a galloping Ima Denny Too (Tony Cameron) and fell to the track.

A chain reaction saw Comic Book Hero (Todd MacFarlane) and Racketeers Boy (David Butcher) also fall while Matty White was flung viciously from the sulky of Machs Little Soaky.

Butcher came out of the crash effectively unscathed apart from some bruising and sore ribs but MacFarlane, White and Abernethy all have significant injuries.

Matty White remains in Waikato Hospital having suffered a brain bleed and will have further scans and x-rays on his hip and pelvis this morning.

“He’s ok at the moment; he’s awake and alert,” said his wife, Brigette Solomon.

“He does have a minor brain bleed though; it’s called a petechial haemorrhage.

“He is also displaying really severe concussion symptoms too, repeating himself a lot.

“They x-rayed his hip and shoulders last night which came back clear but they’ll do more scans today because he is still getting a lot of pain on his right side.”

Todd MacFarlane is also in Waikato Hospital, his worst injury at this stage appearing to be a badly broken wrist.

“I spoke to Todd late last night, around midnight, and he said that he had broken and dislocated his wrist,” said good friend, Jeff Darby.

“They were looking at whether he needed surgery on it today.

“He had a scan on his head and neck which came back with positive results and they’re pretty happy with that.

“He also had a concussion and his memory of the race was a bit sketchy.”

Jay Abernethy left Waikato Hospital at midnight and was at his doctor’s office first thing this morning.

“I’ve broken my wrist. They nerve-blocked my arm to put it back in to place and put a cast on it.

“I’m just getting my shoulder checked out this morning because that feels sorer than the wrist but I think it’s just badly bruised.”

David Butcher considered himself fairly lucky given what happened to his colleagues.

“I’m alright; I haven’t broken anything.

“Just bruising. I had x-rays done last night and they were all good.

“I’ve talked to (Stipendiary Steward) Steve Mulcay and told him I’ll just be taking it easy for a couple of days but should be fine to drive later in the week.”

All four horses escaped relatively unscathed with only minor grazes and cuts reported, Racketeers Boy the only one requiring attention from the on-course vet, for a shoulder laceration.

A stewards enquiry deemed no one driver was to blame for the event.

26 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Garrick Knight's article from HRNZ. Must be one of the roughest crashes for a long time.

Trio of drivers injured after nasty Cambridge smash

6 January 2020 , News

By Garrick Knight

The fall-out from a horror crash at Cambridge yesterday will see three senior North Island drivers on the sidelines for a couple of months.

The incident saw race 8 abandoned soon after the start when Afortunado (Jay Abernethy) couldn’t avoid a galloping Ima Denny Too (Tony Cameron) and fell to the track.

A chain reaction saw Comic Book Hero (Todd MacFarlane) and Racketeers Boy (David Butcher) also fall while Matty White was flung viciously from the sulky of Machs Little Soaky.

Butcher came out of the crash effectively unscathed apart from some bruising and sore ribs but MacFarlane, White and Abernethy all have significant injuries.

Matty White remains in Waikato Hospital having suffered a brain bleed and will have further scans and x-rays on his hip and pelvis this morning.

“He’s ok at the moment; he’s awake and alert,” said his wife, Brigette Solomon.

“He does have a minor brain bleed though; it’s called a petechial haemorrhage.

“He is also displaying really severe concussion symptoms too, repeating himself a lot.

“They x-rayed his hip and shoulders last night which came back clear but they’ll do more scans today because he is still getting a lot of pain on his right side.”

Todd MacFarlane is also in Waikato Hospital, his worst injury at this stage appearing to be a badly broken wrist.

“I spoke to Todd late last night, around midnight, and he said that he had broken and dislocated his wrist,” said good friend, Jeff Darby.

“They were looking at whether he needed surgery on it today.

“He had a scan on his head and neck which came back with positive results and they’re pretty happy with that.

“He also had a concussion and his memory of the race was a bit sketchy.”

Jay Abernethy left Waikato Hospital at midnight and was at his doctor’s office first thing this morning.

“I’ve broken my wrist. They nerve-blocked my arm to put it back in to place and put a cast on it.

“I’m just getting my shoulder checked out this morning because that feels sorer than the wrist but I think it’s just badly bruised.”

David Butcher considered himself fairly lucky given what happened to his colleagues.

“I’m alright; I haven’t broken anything.

“Just bruising. I had x-rays done last night and they were all good.

“I’ve talked to (Stipendiary Steward) Steve Mulcay and told him I’ll just be taking it easy for a couple of days but should be fine to drive later in the week.”

All four horses escaped relatively unscathed with only minor grazes and cuts reported, Racketeers Boy the only one requiring attention from the on-course vet, for a shoulder laceration.

A stewards enquiry deemed no one driver was to blame for the event.

what a calamity, I have not seen it yet.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What were the old ones like?

they folded up as were not as rigid - but at times there were some good catapult ones too - saw one impressive picture of Ossie Hooper about to leave his cart up in the air. - and I thought it was Mark Jones doing the talking on one news.