Bit Of A Yarn

Cambridge- very few bothering!!

Brodie

6 minutes ago, eljay said:

My lasting memory of Claudelands - apart from winning race 1 there and leaving the "presidents room" after the last and driving back to Auckland - was that it always seemed to rain on race night.

This was it

1st
29 Nov 1988
Driver:

R T Wolfenden
Trainer:

P T Wolfenden MBE
Distance:

2500m
Start:

30mStd (T)
Starters:

Stake:

$4,000.00
Won:

$2,415.00
Time:

3-22.0 (2-10.0)
1st  Crystal Dee
2nd  Alabama Pride
3rd  Stockholm(1982)
4th  Over Talent

3 hours ago, eljay said:

No Sunshine - but it was my only win on that track.     Only regret was that the driver emigrated - I wont say he was in Dexter's class but not too far behind and certainly made his mark in the States 

Crystal dee ran into a few good ones in her short career, idle Scott and barrabas....also left a few capable offspring.

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Ok so what were these horses that you say he was winning with at Greymouth?

He has certainly changed tack on what races he targets if he was taking horses to Greymouth.

Personally can not remember him winning many if he was it was very very few!,,

Twirl, Conquistare

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spatchcock said:

Twirl, Conquistare

Don’t remember them at all!

What year did they race at Greymouth do you know?

Certainly didn’t win much or I would remember them!

Purdon clearly didn’t dominate Greymouth races back then like he plunders all the big races nowadays!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

Don’t remember them at all!

What year did they race at Greymouth do you know?

Certainly didn’t win much or I would remember them!

Purdon clearly didn’t dominate Greymouth races back then like he plunders all the big races nowadays!!!

My friend I do not remember them either and despite my age I have a great memory of horses of past seasons. 

I looked up these nags on Infohorse.

Twirl never raced at Greymouth while Conquistare won at Greymouth by seven and a half lengths on March 17, 2006 and ran second March 19, 2006. The Inthepocket gelding was trained by M. Purdon and driven by B. Orange. Perhaps those were the days of the West Coast bonus mate. Was Purdon trying to win it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

while Conquistare won at Greymouth by seven and a half lengths on March 17, 2006 and ran second March 19, 2006. The Inthepocket gelding was trained by M. Purdon and driven by B. Orange. Perhaps those were the days of the West Coast bonus mate. Was Purdon trying to win it?

not west coast bonus but one of those graduation heat then final

Conquistare.jpg

5 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

My friend I do not remember them either and despite my age I have a great memory of horses of past seasons. 

I looked up these nags on Infohorse.

Twirl never raced at Greymouth while Conquistare won at Greymouth by seven and a half lengths on March 17, 2006 and ran second March 19, 2006. The Inthepocket gelding was trained by M. Purdon and driven by B. Orange. Perhaps those were the days of the West Coast bonus mate. Was Purdon trying to win it?

I know you are getting old and senile but Twirl did race at Greymouth on the same dates you mentioned above.  Winning 1st day for blair then 4th second day for Aimee Edmonds. (Mark must have been back home in Canterbury!!)

West coast bonus has always been centered around the Westport reefton meeting at Christmas. Back in the day when greymouth had a meeting in early January that was included in the bonus as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blossom lady said:

I know you are getting old and senile but Twirl did race at Greymouth on the same dates you mentioned above.  Winning 1st day for blair then 4th second day for Aimee Edmonds. (Mark must have been back home in Canterbury!!)

West coast bonus has always been centered around the Westport reefton meeting at Christmas. Back in the day when greymouth had a meeting in early January that was included in the bonus as well.

the west coast bonus was back in the wilber win days think he was first to win the bonus

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

So what we are saying is that Mark Purdon targeted  Greymouth stakes as well by racing 2 horses in 2006?

I still don’t believe that he raced many horses at Greymouth at all!!

Back before he has his "light bulb" moment and worked out how to take the majority of the group racing stake money out of NZ racing.

Actually had 4 in at this meeting for 2 wins on 1st day . Funny thing is not one of those horses started favourite. 

9 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

Sorry mate you are right. I had a "senior moment" and didn't realise there was a second page of data on Twirl at Infohorse so missed the mares Greymouth races. Never mind. It was a long time ago those races. Purdon must have been in the early stages of his training career in Canterbury?

Edited by OLDWHITEMAN

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

So what we are saying is that Mark Purdon targeted  Greymouth stakes as well by racing 2 horses in 2006?

I still don’t believe that he raced many horses at Greymouth at all!!

+m is quite a departure from your original erroneous statement

do you have any idea why you tell these lies ?