Bit Of A Yarn

luella

boobybec

22 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Thought there may have been some comments on this.  Fair enough decision to be relegated and it's cost me a night out on the town!!!!

But how horrendous does Ben Hope look in the cart!! 

It didn't help that the horse was running about a bit but he did get pretty animated near the finish. Thought he was going to snap the sulky close to the post. You don't see those top drivers moving around like that in the cart.

LUELLA - shifted inwards over the final stages and locked wheels with the improving MINI MINE YET (S O'Reilly) placed 2nd. Stewards lodged a protest against 1st placing being awarded alleging interference and after viewing the replays and hearing evidence from Stewards, driver B Hope (assisted by J Dunn) and S O'Reilly (assisted by G O'Reilly) the JCA upheld the protest and relegated LUELLA to 2nd place. An associated charge under Rule 869(3)(b) was lodged against B Hope with the matter adjourned to a later date. Stewards also opened an inquiry into the conduct of G Hope when assisting B Hope in this matter.

3 hours ago, Nowornever said:

It didn't help that the horse was running about a bit but he did get pretty animated near the finish. Thought he was going to snap the sulky close to the post. You don't see those top drivers moving around like that in the cart.

The horse was running in because Ben had zero control . He's just finished sitting out a suspension and could be getting another one here.

ben looks absolutely awful the way he tries to drive out a finish and is actually quite dangerous. Greg should sit him down and make him watch videos of Ricky , blair and Dexter and then some of own. You would think Ben would try and model himself on these guys !The difference is like night and day. While he's there he should try and teach him how to count to ten!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Never looks in control in the sulky. He might be a nice guy, but would struggle to get drives if it wasnt for daddy.

Shocking drive mate. As you say he had no control of the horse. Contrast Mr Hopes drive with the best junior driver Ms O'Reilly. She never moved a muscle smooth and relaxed and in control of the horse. Mr Hope should concentrate on training and leave driving to others like his old man wisely does.

I just seen a Facebook post from Tim Vince saying how disgusted he is with the critism of Ben Hope on social media. He stated that "Ben is a champion in the making". Well if he thinks this , then what is Sarah O'Reilly? She is the length of the straight more talented than Ben as a driver. 

Tim also made the point that Ben is just starting out. I would say having 500 drives is more than just starting out .

i have no doubt that the likes of Ricky have given Ben plenty of good advice but he doesn't seem to take it in. 

I see the other channel also had a crack at ben's driving with his mother Nina adding a comment. Funny thing is she didn't even try and defend his driving style.

But there are worse than Ben out there . Alana Cameron after carving up the field at mot last month just got back driving yesterday at invercargill and decided to knock one over going into 1st bend and now is suspended for another 3 days. If Alana carries on in this manner she will either seriously injure or kill a horse or fellow driver. And we certainly don't want to see that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Saw the post from Tim as well?  I think people have to understand this is an open forum. Nobody is saying anything bad about the guy, even the stipes agree!! 

Personally I think all is not lost. Put his hands up a notch and model his stretch drive on somebody like blair and he will be more than a capable driver!

Guest CrossCodes
19 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

I just seen a Facebook post from Tim Vince saying how disgusted he is with the critism of Ben Hope on social media. He stated that "Ben is a champion in the making". Well if he thinks this , then what is Sarah O'Reilly? She is the length of the straight more talented than Ben as a driver. 

Tim also made the point that Ben is just starting out. I would say having 500 drives is more than just starting out .

i have no doubt that the likes of Ricky have given Ben plenty of good advice but he doesn't seem to take it in. 

I see the other channel also had a crack at ben's driving with his mother Nina adding a comment. Funny thing is she didn't even try and defend his driving style.

But there are worse than Ben out there . Alana Cameron after carving up the field at mot last month just got back driving yesterday at invercargill and decided to knock one over going into 1st bend and now is suspended for another 3 days. If Alana carries on in this manner she will either seriously injure or kill a horse or fellow driver. And we certainly don't want to see that. 

Totally agree with your comments regarding both these drivers.

I believe Ben Hope has had every chance to prove himself as a driver, and he has got the makings of an adequate one, but the way he sits in the sulky over the concluding stages of his drives is nothing short of not only embarrassing but dangerous.

Alana Cameron is just nothing short of incompetent in what I’ve seen of her so far.

If it wasn’t for the fact she wasn’t the partner of Matt Purvis she would be lucky to get a drive at all, maybe she needs to go to the kidz cartz and learn from the ground up like the Tomlinson girls did, then maybe she might be fit to get in the sulky again.

Firstly Ben is  the probably the most aggressive junior driver In the cart that we have seen for quite awhile.

Due to his competitiveness in the cart, there have been incidences where it looks like he doesn’t have as much control as he should.

However, a lot of the time when he is moving around in the cart, he is only using the reins to encourage his horse.

Totally agree that we don’t want any accidents due to any drivers lack of control, but don’t believe that there have been too many incidences recently due to Ben’s driving.

The fact his father Greg continues to give Ben plenty of chances shows that he and the owners are more than happy to give young Ben drives, and he has done a pretty  good job on the whole!

If the senior drivers are worried about any driver, they should be having a word to them I would’ve thought.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

Firstly Ben is  the probably the most aggressive junior driver In the cart that we have seen for quite awhile.

Due to his competitiveness in the cart, there have been incidences where it looks like he doesn’t have as much control as he should.

However, a lot of the time when he is moving around in the cart, he is only using the reins to encourage his horse.

Totally agree that we don’t want any accidents due to any drivers lack of control, but don’t believe that there have been too many incidences recently due to Ben’s driving.

The fact his father Greg continues to give Ben plenty of chances shows that he and the owners are more than happy to give young Ben drives, and he has done a pretty  good job on the whole!

If the senior drivers are worried about any driver, they should be having a word to them I would’ve thought.

Good post, Brodie. You are correct about the senior drivers having a word if they thought any driver was a concern on the track. Juniors are 'juniors' for a reason. 

Doesn't worry me his hands are high, nor the fact he moves around a lot. Drivers overseas are nearly falling out of the cart at times aren't they? If every driver was the same it would be pretty boring and we might as well be on a computer game.

I think since this incident happened on the winning post and a horse got disqualified it is more visible to all and sundry. If it occurred any other time no one would care. Read any stipes report and see the mistakes made.

Ben obviously loves harness racing and I reckon he would care for the horses no end from what he has said in interviews on TV so good on him for being part of something he wants to.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Good for her. She is fired up with good reason.

The Hopes are lovely people and committed to harness racing and it is not an easy industry to be in.

7 days a week with bugger all time off.

Ben has been interested in harness racing from a young age and of course his mother is going to stick up for him whether he is right or wrong and good on her.
Ben comes Across as a knowledgeable young man on Trackside.

Great to see Ben being so enthusiastic with harness racing and this is what we need in our young juniors because geez it would be very easy for them to give it away and go and have an easier lifestyle away from racing.

40 hour weeks and better money.

Personally think the attacks on our young Juniors are unnecessary.

Bronson Munro, Sam Thornley, Jeremy Markham, now Ben Hope and Alana Cameron and others!

These Are all young people who are trying to make a living in a difficult Industry and some keep bagging them.

Yes they sometimes make mistakes just like The senior horsemen who are far more experienced.

We can ill afford to lose any of them from harness racing as they  all Seem likeable people 

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

The Hopes are lovely people and committed to harness racing and it is not an easy industry to be in.

7 days a week with bugger all time off.

Ben has been interested in harness racing from a young age and of course his mother is going to stick up for him whether he is right or wrong and good on her.
Ben comes Across as a knowledgeable young man on Trackside.

Great to see Ben being so enthusiastic with harness racing and this is what we need in our young juniors because geez it would be very easy for them to give it away and go and have an easier lifestyle away from racing.

40 hour weeks and better money.

Personally think the attacks on our young Juniors are unnecessary.

Bronson Munro, Sam Thornley, Jeremy Markham, now Ben Hope and Alana Cameron and others!

These Are all young people who are trying to make a living in a difficult Industry and some keep bagging them.

Yes they sometimes make mistakes just like The senior horsemen who are far more experienced.

We can ill afford to lose any of them from harness racing as they  all Seem likeable people 

Possibly brodster but if punters are spending their hard earned they want to bet with confidence.  Perhaps leave the junior driver races alone ......   The horse was running all over the show like me on friday, saturday or any night of the week for that matter.  He seemed to make no concerted effort to straighten it up.  He might be a nice guy and i dont doubt he's a good horseman, but I think there are better juniors out there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boobybec said:

Possibly brodster but if punters are spending their hard earned they want to bet with confidence.  Perhaps leave the junior driver races alone ......   The horse was running all over the show like me on friday, saturday or any night of the week for that matter.  He seemed to make no concerted effort to straighten it up.  He might be a nice guy and i dont doubt he's a good horseman, but I think there are better juniors out there

Booby, 

Don’t think I said that he was the best Junior driver around!

Junior drivers are required for Harness racing to continue, as without them there will not be enough drivers left as the existing drivers move on to greener pastures.

For some reason there seems to be this need to hammer our  young drivers, some of which I mentioned earlier!

Yes Ben was careless with that drive and he is very vigorous in the cart, but he is not flogging his horse, there is a lot of reign action.

Young Ben always tries to win every race he is in, you only need to watch him even when he is driving a bit of a dog and doesn’t have a great chance.

I personally find the drives  from senior drivers far more frustrating when they don’t put their horses in the race, and I believe that gives less confidence to the punters than Ben Hope driving with vigour.

We will all have an opinion on the way some drivers drive whether it be Juniors, Amateurs or Seniors!

Why hasn’t anyone commented about the senior driver Ray Needham’s drive today in race 4 at Oamaru, although it is fairly typical drive from him!!!!

Edited by Brodie

On 21/02/2020 at 12:51 PM, Rangatira said:

LUELLA - shifted inwards over the final stages and locked wheels with the improving MINI MINE YET (S O'Reilly) placed 2nd. Stewards lodged a protest against 1st placing being awarded alleging interference and after viewing the replays and hearing evidence from Stewards, driver B Hope (assisted by J Dunn) and S O'Reilly (assisted by G O'Reilly) the JCA upheld the protest and relegated LUELLA to 2nd place. An associated charge under Rule 869(3)(b) was lodged against B Hope with the matter adjourned to a later date. Stewards also opened an inquiry into the conduct of G Hope when assisting B Hope in this matter.

watched it on replay, after reading the result, you would have to take the stipes privileged camera angles

, would it be that hard to link the decision to a tiny video attachment  on a successful overturn, it would at least take the monkey off there back and Boobybec can at the least have a chance to assess for herself? doesnt change any result, but at least gives her a perspective why the desicion was made?  not  trying to stir and did not have a bet but there was no mention of a relegation which hrnz normally provide in the published  result, they did for the fred fletcher runner in the baby trot, these random flip of the coin decisions to customers!  crush the soul of the punter!     It must of happened, is it too much to provide the evidence to punters of your video evidence inbetween  annual indulgent champagne french /euro delves into the mystery of successful gaming industries? Monopoly is the problem! hope your next punt doesnt go to the pokies Bec!

On 23/02/2020 at 10:58 PM, Brodie said:

Simply Bullshit! pretty sure you were moaning a little bit back!

On 24/02/2020 at 5:03 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Good post, Brodie. You are correct about the senior drivers having a word if they thought any driver was a concern on the track. Juniors are 'juniors' for a reason. 

Doesn't worry me his hands are high, nor the fact he moves around a lot. Drivers overseas are nearly falling out of the cart at times aren't they? If every driver was the same it would be pretty boring and we might as well be on a computer game.

I think since this incident happened on the winning post and a horse got disqualified it is more visible to all and sundry. If it occurred any other time no one would care. Read any stipes report and see the mistakes made.

Ben obviously loves harness racing and I reckon he would care for the horses no end from what he has said in interviews on TV so good on him for being part of something he wants to.

I knew you would chime in with your fair and balanced perspective happy! first to complain and first to defend.

• Haha 1