Bit Of A Yarn

82 Dogs Racing From One Stable?

Newmarket

1 hour ago, Mehe said:

There would be a meeting people cant get a start 

Yea but they'd be like the cards in the North! Mostly Cambridge, week in week out their card is full of dogs that clearly despise the place but still get nom'd cause they can't get starts at their favoured Akl circuit, or people are using race days as training runs. Quality must prevail. 

Guest CrossCodes
On 8/03/2020 at 1:26 AM, Newmarket said:

82 Dogs from one stable, out of 116 starters? Wow, is this good for the game? 

What’s worse is what happens to those dogs once they finish racing, I don’t know how they get away with it. 

What i cannot understand is, why no follow up on all dogs by the RIU.  They have the figure's from the NZGRA of all dogs chipped and branded. How many are being put down by a Vet as against those just disappearing down a hole. Have not seen one charge yet against any trainer or owner from disposing a dog illegally. This tells me that an awful lot of dogs are just vanishing.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I don't approve whatsoever of what's been happening to all the no longer or non-viable dogs.

What the real issue is here is there are NO rules against putting a dog down. What there is a rule for now (only just recently) is putting a dog down while at the track.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/Files/Documents/On-Track Euthanasia Guidelines for OTVs FINAL Dec 2019.pdf

Once you get them back home, nothing has changed.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/Files/GRNZ Veterinary Certificate of Death Policy.pdf

108. NOTIFICATION OF DEATH 
108.1 No person may knowingly participate in causing the unnatural death of any Greyhound, other than by accepted euthanasia by a Veterinarian or in a medical emergency. 

108.2 A Licensed Person may humanely euthanize a Greyhound in an extreme medical emergency provided that the Licensed Person immediately advises the Association in writing of the death and the relevant circumstances. 

108.3 Within 14 days of the death of any Greyhound the Trainer or where the Greyhound does not have a Trainer, the Owner shall return the Certificate of Registration along with a Veterinarian’s certificate certifying the death of the Greyhound.  

108.4 The Association, or appointed agent, shall have the right to order an autopsy, to confirm cause of death.   

108.5 Any person found in breach of this Rule or who subject to Rule 108.2 knowingly participates in causing the unnatural death of any Greyhound, other than by accepted euthanasia by a Veterinarian, is subject to a fine of up to $10,000 and/or permanent disqualification from involvement in any way in Greyhound Racing in New Zealand.

So as long as you're able to find a vet who has the morals that makes them think it's ok to kill a perfectly healthy dog either at their office or at the kennels, then it's within the rules as long as GRNZ receives their certificate of death form within 14 days of the jab.

So it's business as usual folks, until LP'S and/or public pressure fin ally gets the GRNZ board to really sort it out.

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Like 3