Bit Of A Yarn

Waimate

Ludwig

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

234 nominations for little old Waimate is excellent. It's good to see the course still being favoured by harness after the hasty retreat of the gallops. It's a good winter course. The locals deserve better.

Unfortunately, the locals or anybody else will be unable to be on-course to see slow horses battling around the Waimate grass track.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

They might as well centralise all the meetings. All weather at Addington and grass at Motukarara to take away the cost of travelling.

What is the point of most of the horses venturing all that way?

I agree to a degree but not Motukarara, which is one of the worst tracks in the country in my opinion. Rough, terrible crossing and poor viewing. Maybe Addington and Methven?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

So it's all about Canterbury. What about the many horses, owners and trainers from the local area. ?Aren't they even allowed one day on their local course?

No, not even owners now allowed on courses during the virus shutdown, only trainers, drivers and stable staff.

17 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

But local trainers?

Basically no trainers there nowadays.
It does make sense to race at Addington.

Will save the TAB some money I would say without having to pay some staff however I would be surprised if people are going to be offloading their hard earned on horses with many of them on very suspect incomes over the next month or two.

Not much else on so watching the harness might be quite popular though.

Let is all hope that this nasty virus gets sorted very soon as it will not end well for the racing industry if it isn’t.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, Rangatira said:

Delighted for the club at the size of the fields. Ok this year the course is closed to spectators but it won't be forever. Good luck to them.Genuine heartland racing at a course where locals got stuck in and rebuilt their grandstands, unlike Riccarton and Addington.

• Like 1