Bit Of A Yarn

Tracks may close

Mehe

7 minutes ago, Jacob said:

Yes, It seems I did read that wrong ? Thought it was for the first week

A redistribution of stakes is a start. I would suspect the TAB would have a surplus of money put away for stakes per year. It'd be bad and dangerous financially if they did not already have money to cover the stakes being promised over the season. Also, even though punting would be down, so would their everyday costs. I'm not saying they wouldn't have been hit hard but Id doubt 4 weeks worth of no racing would send them broke. The biggest problem from their perspective would be trying to get punters back of course. With an economic crisis looming, this will be extremely difficult.

I like your thinking Jacob but I don't hold your optimism. The TAB were in trouble long before this crisis unfolded. The Mesara report highlighted a number of major concerns. The industry restructure was supposed to be completed by the 31st of July this year. There was concern that elements of the restructure were lagging behind pre-Covid. It is likely some changes will be forced by the Ministry.

4 hours ago, Cockyaleg said:

I have read and re-read the GRNZ's "Path To A Resumption Of Racing".

It CLEARLY states that the first race meeting held in each zone will be a sprint only meeting. 

Four race meetings at Addington per week. ONLY the first meeting will be sprints only. There is 24 hours between the first meeting and the second, to say middle distance dogs are disadvantaged is a joke. There are three opportunities during the same week to nom non-sprinters. That silly argument does not hold water. It allows everyone to double nom for that week while adhering to nomination rules.

CD, three race meetings per week. The argument again does not fly. 
Northern, two meetings. In this instance, middle-distance runners can only nom for the second meeting that week, both meetings the following week.

I think you all have far more pressing issues to contend with.

SICK OF IT. None of this situation was created by the office staff. Yes, they have been working through, keeping everything running during the lockdown. GET A GRIP. It is likely cuts will be made across the board, that will include industry job loses.

weekly contingency racing plan.jpg

Yes old sick of it was probably pissed when she said that 

The funny thing is she says it's unfair about distance dogs dont even think she has any most of her dogs are sprint cheats 

1 minute ago, Mehe said:

Yes old sick of it was probably pissed when she said that 

The funny thing is she says it's unfair about distance dogs dont even think she has any most of her dogs are sprint cheats 

She? It is very difficult to find value in much that Sick of It writes. I would question the fairness of an attack on GRNZ staff just because they are working through. "How the hell are we going to back to racing with only 1 distance", highlights an inability to comprehend written language.

The GRNZ statement reads; "The Board has further stipulated that the first race meeting in each region; Northern, Central and Canterbury should be a complete 12 race card of sprints over 318m, 305m and 295m respectively".

On 4/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, Mehe said:

That may have to do with the ring around on what track they would want to race on I tried to get a poll going on here but know one seem interested 

I’m told the “ring around” was only to the select trainers that Steele believed would vote his way - so I can’t imagine his survey holding any weight.

It has long been proven that one turn tracks have the lowest injury rates (second to straight tracks of course) so it would seem a shame to eliminate them at a time when dog welfare should be at the forefront of our industry.

• Like 1

If Auckland isnt being used any more do you not think waikato would get 12 races 

I have got know idea why waikato dont get used as the are less injures than Auckland

I wish all the tracks in nz were one bend myself

• Like 2

On 12/04/2020 at 11:06 AM, Mighty5 said:

Waikato hasn’t even been able to hold a  12 race card in a couple of months. Auckland gets 12 races every Sunday.

Waikato would get 12 races if it were the only Northern track running. Trainers could not op for racing at Auckland on a Sunday. I don't know whether it would be possible but could one or two alternative distances be added to the options? Movable box starts, maybe a 290m and a 510m. Just a thought. There is room at both ends for an extension pad and no outside fencing.

i1116905678.jpg

Edited by Cockyaleg

6 hours ago, Bettingman said:

....Jacinda did specifically say “People in Hamilton - Don’t go to Auckland “  ?

I would take that as a vote for Cambridge!

After the news and advice we've been given over the last 2 days, i do not think racing will continue next week or even the week after. I would be very surprised if racing gets back under way before May. 

Central government have told us we must stick to out bubbles as much as possible and have ruled out sports teams having the opportunity to train together under level 3

Edited by Jacob
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Jacob said:

After the news and advice we've been given over the last 2 days, i do not think racing will continue next week or even the week after. I would be very surprised if racing gets back under way before May. 

Central government have told us we must stick to out bubbles as much as possible and have ruled out sports teams having the opportunity to train together under level 3

Yes totally agree.Had no internet last few weeks Back Now ???.                                

Just now, eljay said:

Which track does the best turnover - that is ultimately what will decide.

I don't think that is a good guide.  There are too many variants that would skew the data.  

Surely the best criteria is cost - cost to the industry as a whole but in particular to those who put on the show i.e. dog trainers, handlers and owners.  Which tracks have the least cost to those groups?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't think that is a good guide.  There are too many variants that would skew the data.  

Surely the best criteria is cost - cost to the industry as a whole but in particular to those who put on the show i.e. dog trainers, handlers and owners.  Which tracks have the least cost to those groups?

I think your right.

1. Nominations
  2. Cost to maintain and what sort of condition the infrastructures like
  3. How safe track is
  4. Does the club have the ability to run a bigger business
  5. how far from the trainers is it (like southland)
  6. Cost of lease of the property because not all own

The list could go on forever